PDA

View Full Version : Check my Box Design?

Disarmer
12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Howdy,
This will be my first box and I would just like someone knowledgeable here to check and make sure this design will work/sound good. Any opinions welcome.

Sorry if this post is a bit hard to read, just trying to provide as many details as possible.

Vehicle : Jeep Wrangler
Location in the vehicle: Behind rear seat
Space available (Length x Width x Height): 28"L x 12"W1(bot depth),9"W2(top depth) x 16"H
Subwoofer make and model: Sundown SA8v.2
Subwoofer Size: 8"
Number of Subwoofers: 2
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot
What type of music do you like?: Rap, Country, Hard Rock
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday music
Tuning Freq (Hz): 33.66Hz
Volume : 1.54 cu/ft net, 2.06 gross

This is an angled box to fit in a small area (the angled side is facing the back seat (front of vehicle), the straight side is facing the rear door. Subwoofers up, port exits to the driver side (there will be about 8" between the port and the side wall). Other side of the subwoofer box will be against the passenger wall.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u341/ACrippledFerret/SA8V2Final.png
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u341/ACrippledFerret/SA8V2RealFinal.png

Here's where my real question lies. In this picture, you can see where my port ends (no turn).
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u341/ACrippledFerret/port-1.jpg
It runs right back into a wall, but doesn't need more length to turn. In the Torres picture, I've tuned it to the point where the port wall terminates exactly 2" from the side wall (in order to continue the 2" port around the corner just a bit).

The port wall itself (from the outside edge of the box) is 25.25". When measuring around in Sketchup, I believe that makes my overall port length to be 27.625" (which is what I used in Torres to find the current tuning). Can anyone confirm that this is correct? (If you need more clarification here, just ask)

Any other opinions/suggestions/thoughts on the box?

Thanks for any help

mklett33
12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Looks good, hard to tell exactly what you mean without seeing the dimensions on the drawing but I think if you are saying that the centerline of the port measures 27.625 inches you should be good. If you have a roundover bit and a router roundover the end of the port so it is nice and smooth.

Thanks for using the format from my thread! Much more useful information here!

Disarmer
12-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I believe the centerline of the port measures 27.625 inches. I don't have a router, but I think I might can borrow one for a bit so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks!

mklett33
12-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I believe the centerline of the port measures 27.625 inches. I don't have a router, but I think I might can borrow one for a bit so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks!

You can use it to make all the corners nice and smooth, and if you have a flush trim bit you can even make sure that all sides of the box are dead on accurate.

Disarmer
12-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks. One last question... will placement of subwoofers affect the sound very much?

i.e. Should I keep them equally spread like they are, or put them both towards one side? If the latter, then which side?

mylows10
12-18-2012, 12:02 AM
yes it can ,because displacement makes the inside of the box smaller

Disarmer
12-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Not displacement. I have accounted for subwoofer displacement in my design. I'm simply talking about the placement of the subwoofers on top of the box. Would it be best to keep them evenly spaced like they are in my pictures, or should I place them tightly together on one side of this box?

mylows10
12-18-2012, 12:17 AM
really doesn't matter .un less you want a higher spl sound then place them over the port exit

mlstrass
12-18-2012, 03:57 AM
I would move the one that seems to be right over the port opening. Put it closer to the other sub, so the backwave isn't partially hit port wall and partially going right into port opening.

At least it looks that way in the drawing...

Disarmer
12-18-2012, 05:57 PM
It's pretty close. I'll move that one over a bit. Thanks guys

mylows10
12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
put the one sub over the port exit hole and the other as close as you can get it the the first sub ,then a 45 under the subs to direct the air flowhttp://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/mylows10/car%20audio/stereo075.jpg
like these ,the longer one would be the best tho