PDA

View Full Version : First car build

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm fairly new to car audio (can't do many since i'm only 16, but a few months ago I bought two 10" Kicker 10DC104's and a Brutus Hifonics BRZ.1200 class D mono amp. I've now switched out the two 10" kickers with new 12" Alpine type r's wired to 1 ohms. On my list to add to my build are two pairs of Alpine spx-17pro's powered by a Infinity Kappa four amp, it'll be wired at 4 ohms giving it 125 rms per channel. I'm also buying a pair of Focal PC 690's to go in the back of my car, that'll be powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch3000 2 channel amp at 4ohms giving 75 watts of rms to each speaker. On top of the, i'm deciding on buying a capacitor (4 frauds) and i'm also buying a Clarion 7 band equalizer. To top it off i'll be adding a 6'2 inch Boss head unit, it's the cheapest one I could find with all of the features I want. In total i'll be spending about $2,500. Any input/ suggests are welcome and appreciated (:

VWGolfMKVI
11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Don't buy the 4 farad cap. How much were you gonna spend on that? Cause I bet we can find you a secondary battery that will work better for around the same price.

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
It was going to be about $55 another problem is, is that I don't have that much trunk space to fit another battery
Don't buy the 4 farad cap. How much were you gonna spend on that? Cause I bet we can find you a secondary battery that will work better for around the same price.

Noob93
11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
use the $55 to beef up ur charging system then, big three

nkrell11
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
First off I would ditch the capacitor and spend some extra money on an agm battery secondly are you going to be purchasing all of this stuff new because if so there are better options for the $2500 you plan on shelling out for the most part we tend to stay away from main stream brands.

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
It would be all new, what would you suggest? I'm not looking to go for high db's I mean yeah I want it to be really loud, but I want it to be really clean too and i'll be doing the big 3 also
First off I would ditch the capacitor and spend some extra money on an agm battery secondly are you going to be purchasing all of this stuff new because if so there are better options for the $2500 you plan on shelling out for the most part we tend to stay away from main stream brands.

VWGolfMKVI
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
use the $55 to beef up ur charging system then, big three

^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Btw my power wire is already 0 gauge

nkrell11
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Forgive me I didn't realize you had already replaced the substage however cdt does make some nice components that may be worth looking into for the front stage.

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
A lot of it looks nice, nothing in the price range for what I want though, then again i'm not sure the quality of them for the price, something that'd be comparable to the type x's for less or something better for equal value

nkrell11
11-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Maybe someone else will have more input sundown just released their components which I'm sure will be nice from a nuthugger standpoint.

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Another thing, we it have purpose if I have a equalizer for each separate amp? Like one for my subs, one for my 6x9 amp and one for my side door speakers?

arejayeye
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Sounds like you kinda have the same mentality that i use to. I initially got into car audio in the 90s and my local shop had fosgate. JL audio and kicker was big too. Well when I got back in the game a few years ago I naturally went back to the names I have always known, thats the best right??? Well over the past few years I have learned that there are great products out there for less money. Companies like sundown, american bass, digital designs, dc, etc are better quality products without paying for the big names. Just thought i would throw that out there...

Callingindogs
11-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Any input is welcome! Give the budget ($360 per pair of speakers) what would you choose for speakers that sound good and also put out high rms ratings?
Sounds like you kinda have the same mentality that i use to. I initially got into car audio in the 90s and my local shop had fosgate. JL audio and kicker was big too. Well when I got back in the game a few years ago I naturally went back to the names I have always known, thats the best right??? Well over the past few years I have learned that there are great products out there for less money. Companies like sundown, american bass, digital designs, dc, etc are better quality products without paying for the big names. Just thought i would throw that out there...

gckless
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Another thing, we it have purpose if I have a equalizer for each separate amp? Like one for my subs, one for my 6x9 amp and one for my side door speakers?

You will only want one. Reason being, an EQ adjusts levels at certain frequencies. Since your sub is playing different frequencies than the rest of your speakers, only one is needed in the whole system to adjust the levels at those frequencies. Not only that, but if you were to put different EQ's on your front speakers that were playing the same frequencies, it would be difficult to get the desired end result at your ears, because adjusting one EQ would change the end result, and so forth. Maybe someone knows of something I do not, but one is the only amount needed in a system. Although it's possible to have seperate ones for sub and fronts, say a 31 band for fronts, and a 16 band for only sub-200Hz freq's for your sub. That's a pretty dedicated setup, and much more teaking ability than I think you would need.

How much is that head unit? You could probably ditch the external EQ and use the money to put towards a good HU that will have that built in.

gckless
11-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Any input is welcome! Give the budget ($360 per pair of speakers) what would you choose for speakers that sound good and also put out high rms ratings?

$360 per pair is a good budget. You do want components correct? mylows10 ; could hook you up with some good CDT's, the JBL MS-62C are a good set as well, and there are many more. Remember that install is a majority of what makes a car, especially front stage, sound good. You should probably spend a little less on speakers and allocate a little for sound deadening and things like that.

To clarify, what size/types of speakers do you want, and for where in your car? Fronts you will want to focus on and get the best there, almost always you should make components work in the front. You said you also wanted rear doors, and rear deck? I'm a bit confused there I guess. What type of car is this?

nkrell11
11-26-2012, 11:05 PM
If you could couple your funds from the boss head unit and the equalizer to get a pioneer 80prs or something similar as you would probably get better sound quality compared to the boss head unit with an equalizer.

Iosias
11-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Id drop the eq and the caps,

Id look at the Image Dynamic component sets ( you would not be disappointed in them i am sure) Or CDTs (hit up mylowes) or even the new sundown set.
I would invest in a deck that has a solid eq built in, personally I like a Pioneer 80prs, but im not looking to impress with a double din.
Id look at solid 4 channel amps instead of running two separate highs and mid amps.

cfox10
11-26-2012, 11:40 PM
80prs, or similar audiophile unit. How often do you really need DVD in the front? If you're trying to show off then fiberglass a seperate DVD screen in. Boss has terrible quality and you'll regret the headunit right away and the DVD novelty will wear off quickly.

Drop your rear speakers or get some cheap (but good) speakers to run off the headunit, JBL makes some very good coaxils for cheap. You don't need/want components in the back and you can run them off the headunit if it has a built in amplifier (most units do) they are just there for fill.

If you get a good unit like the 80prs, the equalizer is definitely not necessary and will save some money.

Upgrade to big 3, and SKIP the capacitor. Really, a battery isn't THAT much bigger than a cap and it will be better by a million times.

Sub stage, run something like Incriminator, Sundown, DC, etc. Some people on this forum can hook you up for a some good subs for a really good price. Hell, you could probably sell those alpines on craigslist and get enough for one really good sub that will be worlds better than the type r.

Don't look at big box stores like best buy, walmart, etc. Unless your local dealer has really good prices, I advise you to check somewhere like http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

If you tell everyone your box dimensions they will help you build a box for your subs.

oh and please invest in sound deadening, the difference is incredible.

/2cents

Callingindogs
11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
What side door speakers would you suggest that are loud and also very clear for $400 a pair?Also I'm not getting separate amps for my highs and lows, I'm getting separate amps for my side doers, deck, and subwoofers. So 3 amps in total
Id drop the eq and the caps,

Id look at the Image Dynamic component sets ( you would not be disappointed in them i am sure) Or CDTs (hit up mylowes) or even the new sundown set.
I would invest in a deck that has a solid eq built in, personally I like a Pioneer 80prs, but im not looking to impress with a double din.
Id look at solid 4 channel amps instead of running two separate highs and mid amps.

Callingindogs
11-27-2012, 08:38 AM
I've also decided to drop the boss head unit, the capacitor and equalizer and looking into that pioneer 80prs, to also add, I have a 2012 Hyundai accent hatchback, speaker size are 6.5's it'd also be nice if they included tweeters with the components

Callingindogs
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I found a pair of image dynamic CXS64 v.2's I've read good reviews on it, anyone else have some views on them? Pros cons?

Callingindogs
12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Another update. I've decided to raise my budget and get cdt hd-62 golds for the side doors, I'm gonna get the upstage kit for one pair, does anyone know where I can get only the component? I'm still looking for other back speakers but for now I've decided on image dynamics xs-69's and new 2 channel amp choice is a Rockford power t400-2