PDA

View Full Version : Where to place tweeters in my next system ??

TheLittleRhino
11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Alright so i heard my friends super tweeters and i personally thought it sounded like hell and is way to harsh for me.
My next set up will have a pair of pwx 8 misd in the front door panels. I was wondering where to put the tweeters. I am kinda set on AQ-TW1 my other friend has the component set and the highs were nice and not to piercry banshee like shrilling like the super tweeter.
Would 2 in each a pillar give me a nice balance ? MY subs are two 18 ssa icons running on a crescendo 2000. OR if that is not enough tweet would putting another set by the mids down low make it sound better ?

Any body pitch in where you like it or where you think it would sound the best..
Thanks

gckless
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Your best bet is to play around with locations and firing directions. Use some double sided tape, and listen to them, see where you like them. Something that sounds good to me or anyone here may sound like **** to you. Case in point, your friend liked his setup, you thought it sounded like poo.

neonblack
11-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Play around with them with velcro/tape. (1/2" movement in any direction can make a big difference.) I wouldn't move them too far away from the mids. And I don't like my tweeters to be above waist level because they're too close to your ears and sound very harsh. I have ADS silk dome tweeters which are very realistic. And mine sound better off-axis. I don't know how some of these people can stand tweeters mounted in windshield frames - too far from mids and too harsh.

gckless
11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Play around with them with velcro/tape. (1/2" movement in any direction can make a big difference.) I wouldn't move them too far away from the mids. And I don't like my tweeters to be above waist level because they're too close to your ears and sound very harsh. I have ADS silk dome tweeters which are very realistic. And mine sound better off-axis. I don't know how some of these people can stand tweeters mounted in windshield frames - too far from mids and too harsh.

That's what time alignment is for :nerd:

Edit: Well, the distance issue. If they are harsh to you by being realistically maybe a half of foot closer, either install was bad, they were aimed wrong for you, or a simple EQ would fix that.

keep_hope_alive
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
tweeter height affects stage height.

i mount mine near ear level in spheres and they are beautifully smooth and natural. every tweeter i've tried in spheres (inexpensive) sound great in spheres.

tweeter "harshness" is usually just phase interference from nearby reflections and diffraction due to the mounting method.

velcro is a great way to experiment but the end result will be strongly influenced by the mounting method and surrounding area.

audiobaun
11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Your best bet is to play around with locations and firing directions. Use some double sided tape, and listen to them, see where you like them. Something that sounds good to me or anyone here may sound like **** to you. Case in point, your friend liked his setup, you thought it sounded like poo.

You will have to experiment with different locations for your liking as stated here.Spheres as KeepHopealive has stated from his experience may be for you as well,or just simple dash/door mounting locations for your liking..by using masking Tape/Gift wrapping tape,you can try several locations this way

keep_hope_alive
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
i did some tweeter pod mock-ups using non-hardening modeling clay. allowed me to make smooth transitions without permanent fiberglass work.