PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendations for Active Crossover / 3 way system

dragtek1
11-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Hello,

I have been helping my cousin with his audio system; he is out of state, so communication with him was rather difficult. I have also been purchasing products for him, because the prices here are a lot more affordable than internationally.

This brings up my current predicament. Originally, my plans for the system was very basic. From my first impression, he wanted a loud system (bass head) with pretty decent sound quality. We have already picked up 3 amplifiers. We picked up the new Reference series by Soundstream, 1) REF4.920 and 2) REF1.1000.

I was hoping to set him up with a high end component setup that has good power handling and SQ as well, maybe Focal, Cadence or Image Dynamics though I have not done much research.

The problem is, he had a fabricator in his country custom make a fiberglass door setup for him. Each door panel has 2 super Tweets, 2 midrange drivers and 2 midbass drivers; that makes a total of 12 drivers. (2 door panels)

This definitely through a curb ball at me, since his setup seemed more serious and SPL orientated than I anticipated. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like we will probably need at least another 2 channel amplifier. (Run 4 tweets on 2 channels, 4 midranges on 2 channels and purchase another amplifier for the 2 midbass drivers) From what I know, all drivers are 4 ohms, so this will be running the high-pass amps on a 2 ohm load... more SPL than SQ, but that's what he wants.

The subwoofer of choice is going to be a pair of 15 Image dynamics in a custom ported box, tuned to 32 hz. Each sub will have a REF1.1000 driving them.

My question basically has to do with the door speakers. Running 12 speakers on 6 channels is my solution, is there a better solution? Most importantly, I am looking for an active crossover or more than one active crossover to hook these speakers up to... any recommendations? How do I set this up? We are going for a SPL setup, but do want to keep as much SQ as possible.

The doors are fiberglassed and lined with deadener as well.

The head unit of choice will probably be a pioneer or alpine double din, with 3 sets of pre-amp outputs... ADVICE PLEASE!! The only thing we can't change on the setup are the 3 amps and the door speakers. TIA!

dragtek1
11-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Okay just did some research and came across the Mini-DSP website. Their processor seems extremely flexible and has multitudes of adjustments: multiple crossover options, eq, delay, volume per each channel. Any other recommendations?

Bettr n' Revrse
11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
I have an Alpine 9855 for sale that would work for you

nismos14
11-26-2012, 08:31 AM
You would need some sort of 3 way crossover + sub, not a 2 way plus sub, not many options but the DEH-P99RS.

Also, Curve ball.

gckless
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Yeah you will want to look at each door panel as a 3 way system, only instead of using 1 tweeter, midrange, and midbass per channel you are using 2. Probably wire each in parallel. The Pio p99rs head unit can do that, or you can buy a DSP, which I'm not familiar with any, sorry. But you are correct in needing another 2 channels, for a total of six.

nudels
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
3way active head unit + a 2 way crossover on the mid channels to separate the mid/midbass will yield a 4way split with virtually no need for time alignment between said mids/midbass provided they are in close proximity of one another.