PDA

View Full Version : Rear deck 6x9 in cars... useful?

JoeK
11-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Ive had many people i shouldn't bother replacing my 6x9s in my car cause the rear deck is weak for quality. They are being forced up by my woofer and pop so i just may take them out and leave the holes for vents into the cabin.

Anyway, does the 6x9 rear deck in a car contribute much? I planned on having loud as fvck 6x9s and tweets in the front. (2 sets of tweets, run one off the rear channel)

Dtrom
11-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I've had good luck with the rear deck as far as speaker performance goes.

Why So Cereal?
11-22-2012, 06:45 PM
If you're running subs, probably not....

marc2112
11-22-2012, 06:56 PM
best thing to do with rear decks is using a sealed mono 8" sub in the middle imo. you'll be louder and have better imaging.

cdc351jeferson
11-22-2012, 07:04 PM
I removed mine to port into cabin better i drive with seats up

av83
11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
best thing to do with rear decks is using a sealed mono 8" sub in the middle imo. you'll be louder and have better imaging.

I've been considering a little active rear project, myself. A single eight, or beefy 6.5, sealed and bridged to the rear of a four channel, and a couple of tweets.

gckless
11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
If you want rear fill, of course they are useful. Just use a rear baffle on them.

maylar
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Ive had many people i shouldn't bother replacing my 6x9s in my car cause the rear deck is weak for quality. They are being forced up by my woofer and pop so i just may take them out and leave the holes for vents into the cabin.

If they're being affected by the sub then yes, remove them.

Anyway, does the 6x9 rear deck in a car contribute much? I planned on having loud as fvck 6x9s and tweets in the front. (2 sets of tweets, run one off the rear channel)

My rear 6X9's on HU power add depth (rear fill) which I like a lot, and contribute to volume and midbass. If I had to remove them to improve the sub stage it would break my heart. However, "loud as fvck" isn't my goal.

Falcons
11-23-2012, 11:11 AM
no rear fill in my audi in the rear deck. just a stock 8 inch sub :)

JoeK
11-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I think when i get my new batt im going to pull the stock out of the deck and leave the vent holes into the cabin. My back seats dont go down so itll help the volume. If anything ill cut holes in the back doors for rear 6.5s

audiobaun
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
That sounds like the best ive heard on all the recommendations thus far,and if you want rear fill,I like rearfill,gives you the surround sound affect.that would be /work excellent,you may even be able to find pods for a 5.25/6.5 to place on top of the rear door rather than cutting a hole,is another option
+07 GM Fullsize Truck Dual Speaker Front Door Pods (http://www.customspeakerpods.com/Front-Door-Dual-Speaker-Pods-GM-01-02-01-B.htm)

zako
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Rear deck speakers are useful to increase SPL or to entertain your rear seat passengers (though as I passenger I personally hate when speaker is firing at the back of my head). For a SQ setup for the front passengers rear deck speakers are not necessary with a good front stage setup and tuning unless you have a surround sound processor that can actually make a good use of rear speakers (Logic 7, Dolby Pro logic, etc)