PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters get cut off in CDT CL-61a's?

osm0nd
04-10-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm currently running a set of CL-61a's with a HiFonics NX880 amp... running 110 watts each to the set... and i have an alpine 9813 head unit.. my problem is when i have a song up loud... usually a song with a lot of treble or something like rock.. my tweeters just get cutoff.. why is that? when i turn the volume all the way down on my head unit.. and then turn it back up, the tweeters come back. but when i play my music really loud they get cut off.. any help?

adam71
04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm currently running a set of CL-61a's with a HiFonics NX880 amp... running 110 watts each to the set... and i have an alpine 9813 head unit.. my problem is when i have a song up loud... usually a song with a lot of treble or something like rock.. my tweeters just get cutoff.. why is that? when i turn the volume all the way down on my head unit.. and then turn it back up, the tweeters come back. but when i play my music really loud they get cut off.. any help?

It is the tweeter protection circuit inside of your crossovers. Once they get to a certain temp they shut your tweeters down and restore them once the temp is back to safe levels. This is common with most component sets. There isn't much you can do about except keep it down a lttle or actually bypass this circuit which I've seen a few people do. This leaves your tweeters vulnerable but if you can hear distortion with your own ears then you should know when to turn it down.

Adam :suave:

desi_daru
04-10-2004, 11:08 PM
could it be incorrect amp settings? like the gain to high causing this.... jus a thought

adam71
04-11-2004, 07:15 AM
could it be incorrect amp settings? like the gain to high causing this.... jus a thought

Do your crossovers have tweeter level settings ?? This may solve your problem if you can change the level of the tweeters.

Adam

osm0nd
04-11-2004, 02:42 PM
it has some db setting thing i think... like i can change it to -1db, 0db, or +1db.. will changing ne of those help me?

slick rick
04-11-2004, 04:55 PM
so basically the cdt xovers have a built in feature so you SHOULDNT be able to blow the tweets?

adam71
04-12-2004, 01:17 AM
so basically the cdt xovers have a built in feature so you SHOULDNT be able to blow the tweets?

Yes, if they are cutting out then its from the protection circuit. Without that the tweeters would keep playing and eventually fry.

it has some db setting thing i think... like i can change it to -1db, 0db, or +1db.. will changing ne of those help me?

Its very possible that could fix your problem. Of course, you will be making them lower in volume. I.E. If your setting is at 0db change it to -1db etc. I'm not saying this will "for sure" help you out but it's a start.

If that doesn't work you may be sending too much power or even worse: distortion to them. Clean power is less likely to cause this problem than distorted power is, to my knowledge that is.

Adam :nerd: