PDA

View Full Version : Pressed Paper Cone durability ?

momofx
11-16-2012, 08:30 PM
So I found some mids (Precision PM.654) that are in my price range but one thing that bothers me is that they are pressed paper cone... How will these hold up in extreme hot and cold temps (I'm in IL sooooo....)? I do not want something that will be falling apart after a year or two lol.

Also how would a pressed paper cone compare to a polypropylene cone?

hispls
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Typically it's not just paper like a manila envelope, but has a coating on it to keep it somewhat safe from the elements. Paper cones will dry rot out after 15-20 years if they're in the sun (on dash), but generally they hold up perfectly well. Most cones are made of paper because it's very effective.

momofx
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Ok so I should be good with a pressed paper cone speaker in my doors then? Even in extreme weather right?

Dirtrider4eva
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
paper cones will be fine. unless your doors leak water easily.

quackhead
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Typically it's not just paper like a manila envelope, but has a coating on it to keep it somewhat safe from the elements. Paper cones will dry rot out after 15-20 years if they're in the sun (on dash), but generally they hold up perfectly well. Most cones are made of paper because it's very effective.

^This. Pressed Paper is still widely desired because of the way it sounds. Most of us purchase aftermarket speakers to improve the quality of sound in our vehicles and with a decent install, they should be protected from the elements anyways.

momofx
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I dont know why I always thought that the more "plastic" type cones were superior but after spending over an hour reading up on this, seems like everyone agrees that paper cones have a more natural sound and are used widely in high end drivers as well. I am actually looking at some midbass/midrange speakers that have pressed paper cones and fit my budget.

Kingstroker
11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Blues Audio uses treated paper in their $900+ 6 1/2" component speakers. Indescribably amazing sound. Spoke with the Ray Rayfield, said they would last 20+ years.

momofx
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey even half of that speakers lifespan is good enough for me! Thanks for the assurance guys!