PDA

View Full Version : Need basic Equalizer info

cchheett
11-15-2012, 12:51 AM
I am contemplating buying a Clarion EQS746 Equalizer but would like to get some info that somebody could answer. I have 2 amplifiers in my system rite now. One amp for my subs, and one for my components. If i hook up the equalizer do I just keep my setting on my amps the same they are rite now. Or do i need to do something with all the knobs. For example do I keep the low pass to around 80 to 100 Hz for my subs. And also do I need to just keep the settings on my deck to what i like now. Thanks for any info. I have never used used an equalizer and have no idea.

audiobaun
11-15-2012, 01:45 AM
You can leave the settings the same on the amps, and HU to start out with,yet, it will be all trial and error to make adjustments as you proceed to find your liking.You will just have to find the overall/most played range that you enjoy.I have always enjoyed having one on every system Ive had.I am not running one as of yet in my newer daily driver,but will eventually,as I do miss having one in that vehicle.Take your time, and make your adjustments patiently

maylar
11-15-2012, 08:13 AM
One advantage of an external EQ is that you can run the HU flat or close to it. That lets you bring the HU volume up higher without clipping it. HPF and LPF settings should stay the same as they are.

cchheett
11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
One advantage of an external EQ is that you can run the HU flat or close to it. That lets you bring the HU volume up higher without clipping it. HPF and LPF settings should stay the same as they are.

Thanks for the info guys. So it would be ok to unhook the power to my deck and then just leave the head unit "flat" . I think thats what you mean by flat. Thanks for the info.

maylar
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. So it would be ok to unhook the power to my deck and then just leave the head unit "flat" . I think thats what you mean by flat. Thanks for the info.

By "flat" I mean without any boost or cut with the built in HU EQ controls. You didn't say what HU you have but my JVC only has 3 eq bands and with the bass up 2 notches and loudness on it'll clip the output at volume of 17/50. By using an external eq I can run the HU to 35/50 without clipping.