PDA

View Full Version : Screws for holding subwoofer in box? Length of screws?

akillj
11-11-2012, 04:19 AM
I know it's been asked before, but I'm unsure on the exact length of the screw.

Does it have to be long enough to drill ALL the way through?

Do you drill your pilot holes ALL the way in?

I bought some drywall screws from ebay for when I order my American Bass XFL 12". I'm not sure if they're long enough, or if they will work.

(If you search "1-5/8" Drywall Screw Phillips Coarse Thread 1lb Box" on ebay you will find them. I cannot post links here, otherwise I would)

gckless
11-11-2012, 05:31 AM
I know it's been asked before, but I'm unsure on the exact length of the screw.

Does it have to be long enough to drill ALL the way through?

Do you drill your pilot holes ALL the way in?

I bought some drywall screws from ebay for when I order my American Bass XFL 12". I'm not sure if they're long enough, or if they will work.

(If you search "1-5/8" Drywall Screw Phillips Coarse Thread 1lb Box" on ebay you will find them. I cannot post links here, otherwise I would)

I think a lot of people, including myself, use bolts and T-nuts. You can grab them from Parts Express. Obviously size will depend on your baffle thickness and the size of your woofer's mounting flange.

Montana
11-11-2012, 05:34 AM
I think a lot of people, including myself, use bolts and T-nuts. You can grab them from Parts Express. Obviously size will depend on your baffle thickness and the size of your woofer's mounting flange.

For daily driving... none competitive systems, your "dry wall" screws will work, sure.

Not recommend, but they'll work.

What he said is your best bet, however, it's obviously up to you.

gckless
11-11-2012, 05:41 AM
I like T-nuts because they work very well and I can take woofers in and out and never have to worry about stripping screw holes. I have far from a competitive system, they are just very nice to work with. But yeah, those screws will work. Use what ya got bro.

akillj
11-11-2012, 05:55 AM
I like T-nuts because they work very well and I can take woofers in and out and never have to worry about stripping screw holes. I have far from a competitive system, they are just very nice to work with. But yeah, those screws will work. Use what ya got bro.

Thanks for the advice. Could you link me to some of the T nuts you're talking about? Just so I know for sure.

And are my screws LONG enough? They seem kind of short in my hand.

gckless
11-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. Could you link me to some of the T nuts you're talking about? Just so I know for sure.

And are my screws LONG enough? They seem kind of short in my hand.

t-nuts - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free (http://www.parts-express.com/term/t-nuts?srch=t-nuts)

They will be long enough.

maylar
11-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I usually drill all the way through and use 1" self tappers. A 1/8" pilot is good for a #8 screw. If I expect to change the sub or speaker in the future I use Tee Nuts. Tee nuts can be had from Home Depot as well as online. 8-32 is usually right for a sub.

Kangaroux
11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
1 5/8" Works just fine though as mentioned for bigger subs and higher power systems, especially when mounting upside down or at an angle T-nuts are very helpful.

skylineTT
11-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I usually use wood screws with a lot of bite. I don't change woofers out near enough to worry about wood fatiguing.

Julian
11-11-2012, 11:35 AM
for subs I usually use the larger deck screws.. I've broken too many drywall screws. T nuts are great but they can end up being a pain in the ****, if you do not secure them enough they can just end up spinning and not come out.. which causes all kinds of problems, I like to add some resin or some glue to keep them in place just in case.

akillj
11-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I have about a pound of these...

They just seem very short and seem like there wouldn't be enough screw going into the wood. But I don't have either yet so I wouldn't know :confused:

Here's a pic anyway. Would it be more worth it to upgrade to T nuts? Or just stick with what I have? I'd be using it on an American Bass XFL 12". It's heavy, I just want it to be able to sit in there and not break screws.

http://i.imgur.com/EDLHt.jpg

UnderFire
11-11-2012, 04:38 PM
I use 1" concrete screws that use the little square bit, they are very coarse thread, and I haven't had to drill pilot holes when I use them.

akillj
11-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Link?

UnderFire
11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Link?

23400 Backer-on 10x1-1/4 Screw by Backer-on 23400 092097234000 (http://www.simsupply.com/p-143074-23400-backer-on-10x1-14-screw.aspx)

These ones are what I've got.

Canaan
11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
For single baffled boxes and light subs, I use normal 1 5/8" drywall screws. Same screws I use to assemble boxes.
For double or thicker baffle and heavy subs, I use #8 or #10 x 2" drywall screws or deck screws.

akillj
11-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys. Would my screws work? (As seen in pic) ^

audiobaun
11-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys. Would my screws work? (As seen in pic) ^

I use wood deck screws, and drywall screws..never had any issues with either,I put them in at an angle away from the opening,and seems to be just fine.I like to use Deck screws mainly with the special torch bit,seem to not strip out, and a bit more time taken to remove if you dont have the bit,if you get broken into.Your screws should be just fine,unless you want a custom look,other than that, they will be just fine..Use them

Timmy13091
11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Whatever's laying around my drawer.. or garage ..bunch of diff screws FTW

NASTY08IMPALA
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
1/4 20 t nuts and 2 1/4" allen hex bolts