PDA

View Full Version : Lightening port on apple products

04murdalanche
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Last I heard was that were getting screwed basically being that the lightening port on the new iOS devices does not allow data out.. IDGAF about your ******* android so don't post about it..

Any updates on any solutions for this? I'm really wanting to trade my iPad 2 for a mini and do a dash mod for it. But I won't unless I know I can get audio out of the dock connector

richericks
11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Data is mostly fine. It doesn't put out video though.

04murdalanche
11-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Data is mostly fine. It doesn't put out video though.

Yeah I'm not worried about video, where did you read that for audio though?

richericks
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I've seen it in action. I don't have the iPhone 5, but have seen others use Apple products with the lightning in their system. Also, many HU manufacturers are publishing Apple product compatibility info. Most say they are compatible with the iPhone 5/iOS6 for audio.

Plus, quite a few people on the forums say they have no compatibility issues with audio over the lightning connector.

04murdalanche
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I've seen it in action. I don't have the iPhone 5, but have seen others use Apple products with the lightning in their system. Also, many HU manufacturers are publishing Apple product compatibility info. Most say they are compatible with the iPhone 5/iOS6 for audio.

Plus, quite a few people on the forums say they have no compatibility issues with audio over the lightning connector.
Just saw a vid on YouTube of a guy using his iPhone 5 with a Kenwood deck. Guess I'm trading my iPad for a mini:emb:

richericks
11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Been thinking about that myself. :D

GL

itsblown
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
you coulduse Bluetooth too. but that would require you had a head unit with Bluetooth capabilities.

04murdalanche
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Been thinking about that myself. :D

GL

It's gonna look sick in my dash. Hopefully I can get one quick enough to have the first iPad mini dash in a silverado.

you coulduse Bluetooth too. but that would require you had a head unit with Bluetooth capabilities.

Bluetooth audio=horrid sound

itsblown
11-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Bluetooth audio=horrid sound[/QUOTE]
I always wondered this never actually got to hear a proper blue tooth set up before

Montana
11-05-2012, 11:10 PM
IDGAF about your ******* android so don't post about it..

LOL, :laugh:

beat me too it :crap:

JoeK
11-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Bluetooth audio=horrid sound
I always wondered this never actually got to hear a proper blue tooth set up before[/QUOTE]

I think it sounds really good. Skips really easy if you arent in range, but yeah.

gckless
11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I've got an iPhone 5, and there's no issues with audio with my 80PRS and my old Kenwood. Same as the 30-pin. Don't know about video though.

SourDeez
11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Been wondering about this too.. I love that with my past 4 headunits (pioneers), and 4 phones (iphone 3g/3gs/4/4s) I was able to just straight plug in USB ipod cord and get everything straight thru the headunit

The lightning > usb cable as long as it works I am fine with that, even though they are $15 on ebay vs. $3 for the oldschool ipod usb cord

I play spotify thru my headunit AND control it via headunit, its ******* slick. I access ALL the music on spotify which is ******* almost everything and then I can also access all the music from my computer. Also while doing that it charges my phone at the same time.. plus when I get a call it pauses it all. Its works flawlessly

Im due for an upgrade in like 25 more days so I'm gonna go ahead and get an I5 and keep my 4s as a drunk back up

itsblown
11-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I've got an iPhone 5, and there's no issues with audio with my 80PRS and my old Kenwood. Same as the 30-pin. Don't know about video though.

have you done back to back comparisons with a c.d.? ive always wondered this any idea what the transfer rate is? and the sound quality via blue tooth probably varies strongly depending on the head unit im guesing

SourDeez
11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
have you done back to back comparisons with a c.d.? ive always wondered this any idea what the transfer rate is? and the sound quality via blue tooth probably varies strongly depending on the head unit im guesing

It depends on the quality of the file being played.

I play 320kbps thru my iPhone/iPod via USB cable. Lightning should be the same.

Same as CD

gckless
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM

It depends on the quality of the file being played.

I play 320kbps thru my iPhone/iPod via USB cable. Lightning should be the same.

Same as CD

^^^This. Lightning is only the connector used on the iPhone, it's still via a USB interface. I am not using bluetooth, and would only ever use that for audio as a last resort. Although I guess I don't know what the transfer speeds/throughputs of bluetooth really are. Never really cared. It would be good to look into if you planned on using that.

SourDeez
11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Although I guess I don't know what the transfer speeds/throughputs of bluetooth really are. Never really cared. It would be good to look into if you planned on using that.

Its compressed

gckless
11-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Its compressed

Yeah, but to what? Why would it compress the signal if the throughput was high enough?