PDA

View Full Version : DA tweets are too harsh...what can I do?

stiperformance
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
I have Diamond Audio M6 components and they come with an aluminum dome. I tried everything to remove the ear bleeding harshness from them and I can't. I like crystal clear highs that have a tinny sound to them and these tweets just won't do that. They sound really dull, but really loud, too loud. I have Pioneer 4x6 coax's in my beater car that sound better than the DA components!! They were only $27...floor models with the tweeter dome pushed in!!!! Should I be looking at silk? Titanium? Anyone wanna trade aluminum for silk?

i3abyjay25
04-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I have Diamond Audio M6 components and they come with an aluminum dome. I tried everything to remove the ear bleeding harshness from them and I can't. I like crystal clear highs that have a tinny sound to them and these tweets just won't do that. They sound really dull, but really loud, too loud. I have Pioneer 4x6 coax's in my beater car that sound better than the DA components!! They were only $27...floor models with the tweeter dome pushed in!!!! Should I be looking at silk? Titanium? Anyone wanna trade aluminum for silk?
are you running your highs off an amp or HU?? chk your gains and frequency that u have set.. turn them down.. see if that helps...

Unreal
04-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Sell them and get something else.

I put a set in a truck, and no matter what, they sounded like crap. Way too harsh.

stiperformance
04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
are you running your highs off an amp or HU?? chk your gains and frequency that u have set.. turn them down.. see if that helps...
The components are powered by a Xtant 202m and crossover at the deck(Alpine 9815). I tried a ton of crossover settings and adjusted the P-EQ to my taste, but still are way too harsh. I have the jumper set at -2db on the crossover itself too. What if I reverse the polarity at the crossover for the tweeter?

taylor
04-09-2004, 05:33 PM
hmmm....look at a set of Sil'd then i'd say...Do your X-overs not have tweeter attenuation?

Unreal
04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
They only go +2, 0 and -2. He said he already has them at -2.

Same with the set I put in. Deck at -5 treble, crossover at -2, and still bright.

stiperformance
04-09-2004, 07:33 PM
hmmm....look at a set of Sil'd then i'd say...Do your X-overs not have tweeter attenuation?
I don't know if my crossovers have attenuation. Is that the jumper setting that I can adjust from -2db t0 +2db? If so, I have it set on the -2db. I just can't get that crystal clear, accuate tinny sound that I prefer. I dunno...

I messed around with the P-EQ a little more and got it set a little better to my preference. The adjustability is weird on my 9815. When I adjust one band on the EQ and move the Hz to a certain frequency, this will allow more adjustability on the next band. And if I move it back, I can't adjust the next band as far in the frequency range. Not sure if i'm making sense or not, kinda hard to explain. I guess its supposed to work that way when you move the different bands within the frequency range.

Thanks for the input...

stiperformance
04-09-2004, 07:38 PM
They only go +2, 0 and -2. He said he already has them at -2.

Same with the set I put in. Deck at -5 treble, crossover at -2, and still bright.
What components did you end up going with? Do you like the same type of highs as I do? Accuate, crystal clear tinny sounding?

Unreal
04-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I have infinity Kappas in my truck now, and I like them, but they aren't "great". CDTs are amazing and have throughly impressed me. Any focal speaker is amazing also. If I was to buy another set of speakers, would probably be the focals or CDTs.

desi_daru
04-11-2004, 02:28 AM
i dunno if i missed reading a reply but...

aluminum dome, enuf said

get silk or something soft dome like that, the hard materials like aluminum/titanium tend to be much more harsh

454Casull
04-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Build your own tweeter attentuation circuit, if you're good with electronics and soldering.

Berry47
04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
i dunno if i missed reading a reply but...

aluminum dome, enuf said

get silk or something soft dome like that, the hard materials like aluminum/titanium tend to be much more harsh

ditto......