PDA

View Full Version : DEX-P99RS Distortion Problem

West
11-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Today I switched my set up over to 8 way active using the p99rs. Using it in 6 channel operation, I had 0 problems. After we ( double 07 and I) hooked it up to the MCC406M we started seeing the powerguard lights flash. We hooked up the suspect channel to a DD1 and it shows that there is distortion, which is also causes the powerguards to flash. I did some more investigating and it appears there are two channels (mid right and mid bass right) which are giving distortion at a volume of >40 or so. If I try to run the deck at lower than 40 and increase the gain, the distortion is amplified by the Mc and the powerguards come back on.

I tried reducing the Pioneers SLA (individual source level adjustment) levels, helps but the distortion is still there.
Triple checked the RCA connections... even replaced the RCA's and the distortion is still there.
Tried using digital attinuation at both high and low settings.

Anything else I can do, or is sending it off for repairs the only option?

The original owner claimed that he used the deck to check amplifiers. Double 07 suggested that the guy may have damaged some of the circuity by unplugging the RCA's which they were running and connecting/breaking the live circuit damaged them. I am agree with him, but wanted to double check to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks...

West
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
One last thing. The distortion isn't very strong until I reach 40 watts or so.
The music doesn't sound bad, a bit clipped, but not god aweful.

tone2222
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Pull the deck, to bench test it connect entirely different amplifiers and speakers too, use different rcas, and a different power source (before sending it off for repairs). Please post your results either way. :)

gckless
11-15-2012, 08:05 AM
One last thing. The distortion isn't very strong until I reach 40 watts or so.
The music doesn't sound bad, a bit clipped, but not god aweful.

Don't live with it like that. You buy that HU for one of the best SQ head units there are out there. There's a pico fuse on that unit right? I know there is on my 80PRS, and I'm pretty sure they use it on that model too. Could possibly be an issue revolving around that, have seen some weird stories out there. If he was hot swapping he may have damaged it, though it should have blown. Or if he did one of the fixes maybe it wasn't that great, or by bypassing the pico he actually damaged something else in the HU. I think your only option is as stated above, pull it out and test it. The only other thing you got is to send it in. Good luck!

PHD - USA
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Don't live with it like that. You buy that HU for one of the best SQ head units there are out there. There's a pico fuse on that unit right? I know there is on my 80PRS, and I'm pretty sure they use it on that model too. Could possibly be an issue revolving around that, have seen some weird stories out there. If he was hot swapping he may have damaged it, though it should have blown. Or if he did one of the fixes maybe it wasn't that great, or by bypassing the pico he actually damaged something else in the HU. I think your only option is as stated above, pull it out and test it. The only other thing you got is to send it in. Good luck!

There is no pico fuse on the 80 just an fyi, they replaced it with a capacitor.

gckless
11-15-2012, 08:28 AM
There is no pico fuse on the 80 just an fyi, they replaced it with a capacitor.

Mind = Blown. Do you have evidence of this somewhere?

PHD - USA
11-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I have my own deck that has a whine, I took it out and followed the ground traces and found out for myself. The capacitor is a pain in the ***. I soldered a ground wire to the chassis, but there is still a small whine, the capacitor itself is more than likely the problem now.

West
11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
No pico fuse on the p99rs. I sent it in for inspection/repair. I am awaiting their reply. I think I will be switching out all my rca cables either way. Also sent the amp in for inspection. So we will see.

West
12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Pull the deck, to bench test it connect entirely different amplifiers and speakers too, use different rcas, and a different power source (before sending it off for repairs). Please post your results either way. :)

Distortion was coming for a loose speaker connection. P99rs is OK lol