PDA

View Full Version : What material do I make ports out of?

klein
04-09-2004, 02:20 AM
This is my first post here after about a couple of weeks of lurking the boards. I have learned a wealth of information from all you guys/girls so thanks a lot.

Anyways, I've started making an ported enclosure for 2 JL 12W0's and I am wondering what I should use to make the actual ports themselves. JL's recommended measurements call for one 4" diameter x 12" length cylinder for each sub. I was considering PVC piping that they sell at home depot in about 10-foot lengths that I can cut down to spec. I'm thinking this is the wrong way to go for some reason.

So how would I go about porting the enclosure? And what method would I use to suspend the cylinder. Thanks in advance- your guys help is much appreciated.

LoneRanger
04-09-2004, 03:36 AM
This is my first post here after about a couple of weeks of lurking the boards. I have learned a wealth of information from all you guys/girls so thanks a lot.

Anyways, I've started making an ported enclosure for 2 JL 12W0's and I am wondering what I should use to make the actual ports themselves. JL's recommended measurements call for one 4" diameter x 12" length cylinder for each sub. I was considering PVC piping that they sell at home depot in about 10-foot lengths that I can cut down to spec. I'm thinking this is the wrong way to go for some reason.

So how would I go about porting the enclosure? And what method would I use to suspend the cylinder. Thanks in advance- your guys help is much appreciated.

I prefer square (slot) vents. They're easier to manage (you can adjust the port area as needed) and they're not that difficult to make.

AsS4Ss1n
04-12-2004, 12:42 AM
does sound differ from different port types? tubular like pvc or slotted?

Trixter
04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
does sound differ from different port types? tubular like pvc or slotted?

Not until you start getting into large drivers that move a large amount of air. In that case i would go with a slot or square port. For something on the smaller side round ports work fine.

I have use PVC before and it works. All I did was glue and tube in place in the hole and added a few small, flat head screws in the inside of the port and screwed it into the MDF.