PDA

View Full Version : How to cut holes for subs

>>SQL<<
11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Ok - I built many boxes back in the day but none of them were great and I am trying to do a better job now.

I need to mount my 2 - 10" sub in a double baffle.

Yesterday I cut both pieces of the double baffle out and glued them together.

Now I want to cut the holes for the subs.

I do not have a router or a circle jig.

Is there a easy way to mark the circle out. I thought of using string but it seems hard to get to the right size. I wish I had a wooden ruler but I do not as I thought I could drill a hole on one end and another small hole 1/2 the dimension of the cutout.

So what is an easy DIY of marking a perfect circle for the cutout.

Also did I mess up by gluing the 2 - 3/4" MDF panels together before I cutout the holes?

Thanks!

@pro-rabbit ???

DoesDad
11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
You aren't doing it right. @pro-rabbit There ya go.

IonRL205
11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
You aren't doing it right. @pro-rabbit There ya go.

fail

OmegaBunny
11-03-2012, 05:32 PM
pro-rabbit

>>SQL<<
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
pro-rabbit

So how do you do that? I cannot figure it out.

OmegaBunny
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Also, yeah gluing the baffles together makes it a good bit more difficult to cut especially with a jig saw. Even if the blade is long enough then there is a good chance that it will bend giving you an angled cut

Iosias
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Should of cut them before you glued. Do you have a router? you can make your own jig or use a scroll saw.

OmegaBunny
11-03-2012, 05:36 PM
to do a mention do @theperson'sname ;

@>>SQL<< ;

Except your name apparently.

OmegaBunny
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
pro-rabbit ;

Then I go back in and edit out the ; so it looks cleaner

>>SQL<<
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
pro-rabbit;

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

ok cool, got it now, thanks!

goingdef
11-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I have always glued them first then cut them but I use the correct blade for the material thickness and go slow, as for marking it out use a thin piece of drop and drill two holes the correct distance apart just like it were a ruler.

Kangaroux
11-03-2012, 06:16 PM
@GoobLikesTheD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) ;

pro-rabbit
11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Yea, that is not a good position to be in with both pieces glued together. Obviously since you have limited tools a jig saw is the only method and not really a great one for this situation. 1.5" of material to cut through is a pita though.

mylows10
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/Travis_Timmons/A004-cartoon-beaver.jpg

xShoWTeKx
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
10$ circle homemade jig EASY - Car Stereo Classifieds (http://www.carstereoclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2689&highlight=router)

i made 1 of these and it works very nicely

UnderFire
11-03-2012, 09:32 PM
To mark my holes, I take a nail and pound it into the direct center of the hole, use a tape measure, take the hook and hook it to the nail and follow the tape around the nail using the hook to keep it centered while keeping the pencil at whatever the radius is, takes a steady hand and some patience, but it works perfectly fine for me.

>>SQL<<
11-03-2012, 09:47 PM
To mark my holes, I take a nail and pound it into the direct center of the hole, use a tape measure, take the hook and hook it to the nail and follow the tape around the nail using the hook to keep it centered while keeping the pencil at whatever the radius is, takes a steady hand and some patience, but it works perfectly fine for me.

Thanks for the tip.

I think I am going to try to use a scrap piece of wood, drill a hole at the end and another 4.5" away and use that for my 9" hole I need.

I have a package of jigsaw blades so I will take my time and hope for the best.

Kangaroux
11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
10$ circle homemade jig EASY - Car Stereo Classifieds (http://www.carstereoclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2689&highlight=router)

i made 1 of these and it works very nicely

Yep this is what I use except I made it outta some scrap wood. Drilled some holes that allow me to screw the jig right onto the base and it works great.

bsipes30
11-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Just use a compass.

wErd
11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
@GoobLikesTheD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) ;

Lulz

Kangaroux
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Just use a compass.

Compasses tend to open up while you're drawing the circle, especially on large circles.

>>SQL<<
11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Compasses tend to open up while you're drawing the circle, especially on large circles.

That is what I thought as well. I ended up using a paint stick, drilled a hole a bit from the end, measured 4.5" drilled another small hole.

Screwed it into the baffle at the center of the hole I wanted and put a pencil in the other end. Worked really well and simple.

Anyway what a royal PITA to cut it out with the 2 boards glued together. Took around an hour to cut one hole out.

I need to go buy a better blade for the other hole.

pro-rabbit
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
That is what I thought as well. I ended up using a paint stick, drilled a hole a bit from the end, measured 4.5" drilled another small hole.

Screwed it into the baffle at the center of the hole I wanted and put a pencil in the other end. Worked really well and simple.

Anyway what a royal PITA to cut it out with the 2 boards glued together. Took around an hour to cut one hole out.

I need to go buy a better blade for the other hole.

I buy a good cheap blade to keep from wasting funds. Odds are it won't be much of a blade when it is all said and done.

Glad you're getting it done though.

Kangaroux
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
OP go to HD/lowes and get the bosch jig set. It has plenty of different types of blades. The one in particular you want to use is the progressor bit. It cuts through anything I've thrown at it like butter.