PDA

View Full Version : Cant get SQ out of these comps help!

stay_high
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
i have these comps powered by a kicker zx550.2.
Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22330_Image-Dynamics-CTX-6.5cs.html)

I just cant get any SQ out of them. Stock stereos have way better SQ. When i turn the volume high its like you cant even understand the words. I have double checked polarities and crossover/amp wiring and everything is fine. I have the mids sealed to the doors and the mid bass response actually sounds good. Tweeter are mounter slightly off-axis in the door panels. 14 gauge speaker wire ran wire ran all around except to the tweets because there was already thin 18 gauge attached to them. I have played with EQ and amp setting to no avail. Any tips? Im not an audiophile or anything but these just sound bad. Every mds/highs setup i have had sounds bad lol. I have also tried running them off a different amp, different RCA's, different grounds, and different wiring. I have a JVC arsenal HU. I know these speakers and amp isnt the best but it still is decent and i feel like i should be getting better SQ than a stock stereo setup. considering moving the tweets somewhere on axis. But yea any tips on what i should try?

Falcons
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Do you have an equalizer?

stay_high
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Do you have an equalizer?

No im using the crossovers that came with the component set.

pro-rabbit
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you may be running into clipping some where. Perhaps the head unit settings?

Could you post up what everything is set at on the head unit and amplifier?

stay_high
11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you may be running into clipping some where. Perhaps the head unit settings?

Could you post up what everything is set at on the head unit and amplifier?

You know it does sort of sound like its clipping but i figured it coudnt be. HU EQ settings (bass, treble, mid) are all flat. No loud or bass boosts settings are on. HPF is on low (100hz)Everything is normal on the HU. Amp gain is between quarter and half way up. no LPF/HPF and no bass boosts or anything like that.

Falcons
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Are you using the crossover on the hu and on the amp? That could be your problem

stay_high
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
and im not like maxing out HU volume either. They start sounding bad at like 25/50.

stay_high
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Are you using the crossover on the hu and on the amp? That could be your problem

Crossover as in LPF and HPF? No. Im only using the HU HPF. its set to off on the amp.

goingdef
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Crossover as in LPF and HPF? No. Im only using the HU HPF. its set to off on the amp.

try turning the high pass on (on the amp) and set the xover point to 100-125hz and then attenuate the tweeters using the xover that came with them under the cover there should be settings(look for a setting that reads 0db/-3db/-6db set it to -6db this will help with harshness from the tweeters) after that adjust the eq as needed and it should sound good.

thevic24
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
One other thing you could try is wiring your tweeters out of phase with the woofers/mid bass's.

You say the mid range is good, sometimes wiring the tweeters out of phase can make the imaging better.
How far apart are the mid bass and tweeters from each other?

stay_high
11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
One other thing you could try is wiring your tweeters out of phase with the woofers/mid bass's.

You say the mid range is good, sometimes wiring the tweeters out of phase can make the imaging better.
How far apart are the mid bass and tweeters from each other?
There not even a foot apart. But you guys the problem is definitely not just bad EQ/crossover settings. I mean when i turn the volume up anywhere close to loud it almost sounds like clipping. Like terrible terrible sound quality where its hard to understand lyrics. and the tweets are not harsh at all so im not going to mess with that. Im seriously at a loss for words i have no clue what it could be. I have tried different RCA's different speaker wire, different everything. Is it possible my HU is like sending out a clipped signal or something?? Or the RCA jacks are messed up?

stay_high
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Bought the HU and comps brand new and the kicker amp used.

CHEMMINS
11-02-2012, 11:53 PM
check the resistance on them....sounds like ya fried em.

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:05 AM
check the resistance on them....sounds like ya fried em.

On the components? Nah there fine they sound great at real low levels. I just put them in last night have only played them for a bit while messing with settings and trying to get it right. Been driving around with them at really low volume levels all day but that didnt hurt anything.. There not blown

goingdef
11-03-2012, 12:09 AM
On the components? Nah there fine they sound great at real low levels. I just put them in last night have only played them for a bit while messing with settings and trying to get it right. Been driving around with them at really low volume levels all day but that didnt hurt anything.. There not blown

have you even tried to use the amps xovers instead of the hu's I know my hu's settings aren't on a steep enough slope and don't allow me to turn it up at all but sound awesome low, IDK just a thought.

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:11 AM
have you even tried to use the amps xovers instead of the hu's I know my hu's settings aren't on a steep enough slope and don't allow me to turn it up at all but sound awesome low, IDK just a thought.

Yes i have tried both crossovers. and no i didnt combine both of them (although i even tried this too) lol.

goingdef
11-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Yes i have tried both crossovers. and no i didnt combine both of them (although i even tried this too) lol.

well IDK it sounds like you've tried everything, Wait idea! try reversing your subs phase when I inverted my 12"s my doors sounded blown everytime I turned it up it took me a minute to realize what I had done but when I reversed phase everything cleared up and sounded great again.

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:25 AM
well IDK it sounds like you've tried everything, Wait idea! try reversing your subs phase when I inverted my 12"s my doors sounded blown everytime I turned it up it took me a minute to realize what I had done but when I reversed phase everything cleared up and sounded great again.

REally? how would that affect speakers on a different amp? Could i just unhook the subs/amp and see how the comps sound? Would that have the same effect? But yea i know i have tried everything possible and just cant figure it out. Pisses me off when my buddies have cheap *** gear from best buy that they just tossed in their car and it is out performing my stuff thats at least half way decent and i took my time installing... Think im gona try to run some RCA's from my friends HU to my kicker amp... If it still sounds bad that would eliminate a problem with my HU

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:26 AM

By reversing phase you mean just hooking up neg wire to pos terminal and pos wire to neg terminal correct?

goingdef
11-03-2012, 12:29 AM
By reversing phase you mean just hooking up neg wire to pos terminal and pos wire to neg terminal correct?

yep thats what I mean and as far as how it effects it; does you windshield flex? If so then when your subs pressurize the cabin and your door speakers attempt to fight them in the opposite direction they lose and the result is terrible sound!

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:38 AM
yep thats what I mean and as far as how it effects it; does you windshield flex? If so then when your subs pressurize the cabin and your door speakers attempt to fight them in the opposite direction they lose and the result is terrible sound!

Dude on a low note my windows get some crazy flex goin. But the thing is i have been listening to the comps with the sub lvl all the way down just to get the settings right. But how would reversing the polarity stop the flex? Just make the subs not as loud or something? I also heard once that i canot reverse polarity on my subs because the speaker wire is hooked up directly to them or somethin

goingdef
11-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Dude on a low note my windows get some crazy flex goin. But the thing is i have been listening to the comps with the sub lvl all the way down just to get the settings right. But how would reversing the polarity stop the flex? Just make the subs not as loud or something? I also heard once that i canot reverse polarity on my subs because the speaker wire is hooked up directly to them or somethin

wired straight to my subs backwards! and yes it's just as loud and you won't even notice except your highs may clear up!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x81/animalnut1310/SAM_0208.jpg

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:47 AM
wired straight to my subs backwards! and yes it's just as loud and you won't even notice except your highs may clear up!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x81/animalnut1310/SAM_0208.jpg
But u switch polarities on the amp right? I dont need to mess the way the subs wires?

goingdef
11-03-2012, 12:54 AM
right if you look the wires are red to red on the subs but look where they go into the amp the red is going to the - and the black is going to+

thevic24
11-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Well try and use an Ipod for the source and see if it still gets crapy sounding. If it dose, then the amp my be cooked.

pickup1
11-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Or bypass the amp and see if that works..

Exist_ential
11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
im no guru (or SQ guy at all) but goingdef's suggestion makes total sense.

if you are getting windshield flex from your sub that means they are pushing all the pressure to the front of the cabin, conversely the mids/tweets are doing the exact same thing at the exact same time but are pushing towards the sub (in a sense).

If you have enough pressure in the cabin to flex the windshield then you have enough pressure to keep the cones on the mids/tweets from moving properly. by switching phase on your subs they will be pressurizing the cabin at the exact OPPOSITE time as the mids/tweets, therefore allowing the mids/tweets to time to move to create the vibrations needed to produce sound.

i would think an easy test for this (if you dont want to mess with the sub wiring right away) would be A. turn of the sub completely or B. open all the doors to equalize cabin pressure. If during either (or both) of these tests your mids/tweets sound like they should then goingdef's suggestion is the proper fix.

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:13 PM
im no guru (or SQ guy at all) but goingdef's suggestion makes total sense.

if you are getting windshield flex from your sub that means they are pushing all the pressure to the front of the cabin, conversely the mids/tweets are doing the exact same thing at the exact same time but are pushing towards the sub (in a sense).

If you have enough pressure in the cabin to flex the windshield then you have enough pressure to keep the cones on the mids/tweets from moving properly. by switching phase on your subs they will be pressurizing the cabin at the exact OPPOSITE time as the mids/tweets, therefore allowing the mids/tweets to time to move to create the vibrations needed to produce sound.

i would think an easy test for this (if you dont want to mess with the sub wiring right away) would be A. turn of the sub completely or B. open all the doors to equalize cabin pressure. If during either (or both) of these tests your mids/tweets sound like they should then goingdef's suggestion is the proper fix.right but i have been listenining to them without the subs on so its not that

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Or bypass the amp and see if that works..

What do you mean? Wire the speakers to the HU?

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Well try and use an Ipod for the source and see if it still gets crapy sounding. If it dose, then the amp my be cooked.

I do this by using a Y adapter right? Like a rca to headphone jack then just straight the amp and my iphone?

maylar
11-03-2012, 12:16 PM
OP you say you have the mids sealed to the doors, but what is the install like? You using the factory mounting? Got any pics of the inside of your doors?

Reason I ask is that some factory speaker mountings are sealed boxes (my Buick was like that), tuned to the OEM speakers and any aftermarket speaker can sound terrible. Just throwing out possibilities...

Exist_ential
11-03-2012, 12:16 PM
right but i have been listenining to them without the subs on so its not that

oh ******

stay_high
11-03-2012, 12:28 PM
OP you say you have the mids sealed to the doors, but what is the install like? You using the factory mounting? Got any pics of the inside of your doors?

Reason I ask is that some factory speaker mountings are sealed boxes (my Buick was like that), tuned to the OEM speakers and any aftermarket speaker can sound terrible. Just throwing out possibilities...
There are 6x8 openings so i made my own adapters outa mdf. Had a user on here help me make em seal em up right

thevic24
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
I do this by using a Y adapter right? Like a rca to headphone jack then just straight the amp and my iphone?
Yes..

Babykinns
11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
try wiring your tweeters together into 1+ 1- run them to a front channel of you amp then set dubbing to 0 and herts to max and lvl to max and to any1 who tries to flame dont bother unless you gunna come listen to mine b4 you judge

clickclickw00t
11-04-2012, 01:03 PM
What kind of music are you listening to? Is it ****** youtube rips or high quality WAV/mp3 files? Have you tried using a STORE bought CD? Sometimes a higher end speaker will sound less SQ than a lower quality speaker depending on the source that you use.

stay_high
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
What kind of music are you listening to? Is it ****** youtube rips or high quality WAV/mp3 files? Have you tried using a STORE bought CD? Sometimes a higher end speaker will sound less SQ than a lower quality speaker depending on the source that you use.

Mainly i use songs bought off of itunes. I just plug my iphone in via usb to the HU ilisten to rap mostly and some dubstep type music here and there

Staliano77
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
maybe the amp is fucked....are the gains
Set correctly??? If gains are ok the amp could
Be cactus...have you tried the amp with other
Speakers??

Bettr n' Revrse
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
maybe the amp is fucked....are the gains
Set correctly??? If gains are ok the amp could
Be cactus...have you tried the amp with other
Speakers??

Little late

ThatChevyGuy
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
i think you are just overpowering them

Iosias
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
i think you are just overpowering them

This or the gains are to high. Never had an issue of SQ from a pair of these.

calebkhill
01-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Turn the gain all the way down and try.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-11-2013, 06:32 AM
This thread is months old guys

calebkhill
01-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Wow