PDA

View Full Version : Building an all-in-one box

bebealex
11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Hello,
Here comes the boom

Projet intégrateur of Secondary 5 (QC)

I wish, install a radio, a box .. I do not know how to name my idea!

So I present:

-using automotive components
-branchable on a 120v outlet
-containing a subwoofer 10-12inches without exploding watts
integrate a set-tweet / midrange (TBD)
-audio source will be a radio car (connection required: AUX)

bebealex
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I saw the concept like this.

-Fiber-pine 1 "
-components, not too expensive and powerful

For the box, speaker subwoofer also contain sub's amp, the audio source and the amplifier. Tweets and mediums will be on a smaller box on the topof the big one, the wires pass through holes in the rear. (I was afraid that the smaller speakers didnt resist by the pressure generated by the subwoofer if they were in the same box).

For speakers, I thought to connect the tweets and mids on a car radio with small amps (56watts) to save on a real amp). The sub is powered by a specific real amp for subs.

For power ... As I said I use automotive components ... I need help to be able to plug everything into a power house! (converter?)

bebealex
11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
The subject seems viable?
Is there somes clarifications needed?
Basically I posted here for help with connections and components ...

Sorry for the triple post the school computers randomly planting I hesitated to write a tool long post.

jockhater2
11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I am sorry. but I honestly don't understand what I am reading?

groundpound4200
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Are you asking a question? What are you wanting to do with this?

OmegaBunny
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I think he wants a all-in-one stereo setup. The sub, mids/highs, and amps all in one box. He wants to use car audio equipment but be able to run it from inside his house on 120v instead of 12v.

Correct OP?

Is this going to be used in your home?

Ronny
11-02-2012, 03:29 PM
I did understand one thing: correct OP, you would not want the woofer(s) and mid-drivers in the same/shared chamber of an enclosure, the pressure of the woofer will more than likely effect the mid-drivers. How much power do you plan to run and just how "loud" are you looking for this to be though? Simple enough though, just a divider in the enclosure is needed.

jungstah
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
feels like google translate

OmegaBunny
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah if you are going to run them all in one enclosure make sure you keep the woofer chamber separated from the mids chamber. As for power, I know you can use converter and even PC power supplies but you will probably be better off buying home audio amps plus it will be safer.

OmegaBunny
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
There are proper ways to do it but I haven't done it personally so I will leave it up to people who are more familiar with this area.
pro-rabbit

pro-rabbit
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Give me a min...trying to eat while I read lol

skylineTT
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
You can use simple DC power supplies to power your amplifiers. You need to tell us how much power you want to run though.

pro-rabbit
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
You can use simple DC power supplies to power your amplifiers. You need to tell us how much power you want to run though.

I agree, but I would add a small battery to ensure you have enough of an electrical setup.

If you build it in a separated chambered enclosure the you will far better off. Put all the electrical in on area and just run the power cable for the power supply out the back or side to plug in.

skylineTT
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
If you use a computer power supply, you can mount an On/Off switch to the enclosure that can turn the power supply/amps on and off while keeping the power cord plugged in.

pro-rabbit
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
If you use a computer power supply, you can mount an On/Off switch to the enclosure that can turn the power supply/amps on and off while keeping the power cord plugged in.

I don't think those will be large enough. There are several power supplies out there that use a switch for "on/off" operation. That would be a simple as relocating that switch.

Could also use a power/ground power plug and just leave the power supply outside of the enclosure.

skylineTT
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Like so

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/all-names-were-taken/IMAG0212.jpg

skylineTT
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
My supplies were 1000w (not rms) PSU's that I got for 51 bucks a piece. They run 600w RMS amps at full tilt without a problem. This was simply a suggestion in the case that OP didn't need 2kW of power. :P

bebealex
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
who said google translate??

you're right !

I assume i need to ask direct questions :)
never did an audio setup...

-So, if the subwoofer is 400Watts, the amp need to be 400watts RMS to get the job done?
-Am I right to say that meds and tweets can be directly pluged to the radio ?
-You have an exemple of.. 120v to 12v... the thing to connect all that on an house 120v

skylineTT
11-02-2012, 10:16 PM
These are similar to what pro-rabbit was talking about, and I think similar to what Jacob uses in his shop, although he has a ton of them in parallel to get more current.

New 12V DC 30A 360W Regulated Switching Power Supply | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-DC-30A-360W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-/130711626917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6f0524a5)

If your subwoofer is 400 watts, the amp should supply around 400 watts as well. The mids and tweets can be run from the head unit if you want to, but are usually connected to crossovers first.

bebealex
11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
how to know how many watts the 12v dc needs to be?

Flipx99
11-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I would suggest buying a home audio amp from a place like emotiva than this. I have tried going through what you are talking about atleast a dozen times and I just said eff it and bought a home audio amp. I never could find a power supply that would do all of what I wanted.

chargdbassbuick
11-05-2012, 11:57 PM
These are similar to what pro-rabbit was talking about, and I think similar to what Jacob uses in his shop, although he has a ton of them in parallel to get more current.

New 12V DC 30A 360W Regulated Switching Power Supply | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-DC-30A-360W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-/130711626917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6f0524a5)

If your subwoofer is 400 watts, the amp should supply around 400 watts as well. The mids and tweets can be run from the head unit if you want to, but are usually connected to crossovers first.

jacob did a recent video introducing the new z series subwoofer. in the vid you can see a bank of batterys connected to a batt charger . ive used the same setup but with only one charger and 1 batt in my garage worked great for what i used it for . decent battery charger around 50 bucks

skylineTT
11-06-2012, 12:20 AM
jacob did a recent video introducing the new z series subwoofer. in the vid you can see a bank of batterys connected to a batt charger . ive used the same setup but with only one charger and 1 batt in my garage worked great for what i used it for . decent battery charger around 50 bucks

Maybe someone else then. I don't like the battery/charger setup personally. I'd prefer a bank of power supplies that never decay, discharge, etc. Only downside is slightly lower voltage.

chargdbassbuick
11-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Maybe someone else then. I don't like the battery/charger setup personally. I'd prefer a bank of power supplies that never decay, discharge, etc. Only downside is slightly lower voltage.
true whatever works best for the individual budget,accessibility etc

bebealex
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
a bank of power supplies may take too much place, the final product should be about the size of a normal sub box.

the home amp is good idea, but the small speaker will be powered by the preamp of the radio, i need an amp just for the subwoofer.

the minimum sizes of a 12inches subwoofer should be?

thank you :crazy: i really appreciate the help