PDA

View Full Version : infinity kappa, what's the deal with the ohms

TDot
11-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I really don't understand the ohm with the infinity kappa. The specs say 2, but they market it as a 4. How can they do that? I spoke to crutchfield and they said only to look at them as 2. I was speaking to someone else and he said because it's going through their crossover it is set in there to be 4? I don't know how true that is and don't understand it. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

trumpet
11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Crutchfield has the simplest summary of what "True 4 Ohm" means: "True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 2-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load"

Infinity says (http://us.infinitysystems.com/product-detail-11657/ref-6502ix.html) "True 4-ohm architecture.
The InfinityŽ Reference X series’ low-impedance voice coils make the most of the power they receive from the amplifier, extracting the strongest sound pressure levels (SPL) and the clearest sound from factory systems."

It's basically a way to market the speakers to make them stand out from the competition. Does it really make the speakers louder? In theory it should.

pro-rabbit
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Planet Audio did this first :fyi: lol

It does work, but it can cause issues with some amps/head units if this is not accounted for.

TDot
11-03-2012, 09:14 AM
So basically they are 2ohms with internal wiring to make it 4ohms? From the way infinity explains it, does that mean the "strain" on the amp will be as if 2ohms or 4ohms is on it (even though the amp is seeing 4)?

zako
11-04-2012, 04:30 AM
So basically they are 2ohms with internal wiring to make it 4ohms? From the way infinity explains it, does that mean the "strain" on the amp will be as if 2ohms or 4ohms is on it (even though the amp is seeing 4)?

No. My understanding is that this is a 2ohm speaker and is marketed as a 2ohm speaker. However, they make a claim that this 2ohm speaker should have safe to connect to a factory audio system that's not 2ohm stable. The logic is that flimsy factory wiring adds more resistance, increasing nominal impedance to 4ohm. Don't dwell too much on this. Their marketing people simply need something to write about. In reality, I heard the Infinity speakers are more like 2.7-3 ohm speakers. I believe, the new Infinity Kappa 60.11cs is marketed as 3ohm speaker.

thevic24
11-04-2012, 07:28 AM
I am sure that even comps and what not have some sort of "box rise"...
or in this case "door/rear deck rise".