PDA

View Full Version : Oppinions for 6x9s

Mnaonik
10-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey guys any help or advise would be appreciated. I just picked up another car so I am going to be taking the old/decent sounds out of my 65 malibu and putting it in my 80 malibu. In turn I am in the process of installing a nicer set up in the 65. I am going more for SQ but would like to also be loud. Right now it consists of ID10 v3 d4 for a sub a arc 4080 bridged to each voice coil. A jl 450/4 for the fronts and rears. One of them being the Image Dynamic ctx 65 cs. I was going to put these in the front kick panels. I am lost on what 6x9 to put in the rear. My budget is 200. but Id prefer keeping it around 150. Id even contemplate putting a set of 6.5 components in there also. But wasnt sure if anything would be gained or lost by doing so. Any educated help will be much appreciated. If you are going to comment please only do so regarding speakers or set up that you have actually heard. Thanks again!

Mnaonik
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
OH 1 more thing if you are going to suggest a speaker please give me some input into why you suggested it.

zako
11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
For a good SQ install, rear speakers do not need to add much besides ambiance. So, most SQ people don't lose sleep over them. For a 6x9 coaxial speakers I would look into Hybrid Audio Mirus, specially if I was matching them with a comparable speaker in front. Hybrid Audio is a small company, but they make very high end stuff. Their speakers are often used in sound (sq) competitions, and very successfully. Until about couple years ago, the cheapest HAT speaker you could buy was HAT Clarus for >$500 a set. Since then they added the cheaper Mirus, Imagine, and Unity, but even those lower priced sets are still pretty high end speakers, and in many ways these follow the same design philosophy (in terms of materials, etc) as HAT's more expensive speakers. The Imagine line also has a 6x9 speaker, however it's a lot more expensive (something like 300-350). It would make a great component set for a car with a 6x9 oval woofer location in front.

Mnaonik
11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks ZAKO anyone else got any advise? What about the ID components Ill be using? anyone got any input on them or what would match well or maybe relpacing the ctx comps to the rears and putting something else up front?

Seraphim38
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
My suggestion; don't get rear 6x9s that are brighter than your front stage, as it will move the sound image to far to the rear.

I would suggest Morel Maxximo's for your budget, or Morel Tempos if you can find them. Hybrid audio, CDT or Image Dynamics will also be good for that price range. If you can find 6x9s that are sold with a real crossover network (characterizing them as component speakers), they will sound cleaner in the midrange where the woofer and tweeter frequency response curves overlap.

Mnaonik
11-01-2012, 07:52 PM
So I am guessing the morels are a better sq speaker than the image dynamics that I have. Not kool I dont think I can return these to woofers etc.
Are these IDs more of a crappier component set? Or would adding a matching set to the rear sound good? Or could I ad a additional tweeter to the fronts also. I seen a few guys selling them used on here.
I dont think the rears could be brighter anyhows other than if placing was that big of a influence cause the JL amp is 150 to the fronts and 75 to the rear channels. I wasnt aware of this when I bought this amp. Thank again seraphim38

Mnaonik
11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
? No one else have any suggestions. Im supprised cause I went with these IDs cause of how the fellow Caraudio forum members talked about them. I know somebody else has a little bit of input.

Seraphim38
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
The Image Dynamics aren't inferior to Morels in my opinion...they are just different. There's no reason to regret that purchase.

Don't add an extra set of tweeters up front; a single, good pair of tweeters up front (like IDs) can be near unbearable if properly powered. Most of the musical sound comes from midranges or woofers, and the lower the frequency the more power it takes to generate the same volume.

The issue with the rear speakers being brighter is that often times the rear deck speakers fire straight at glass, which reflects sound near directly towards your ears. In the front, door speakers fire into your legs, so your ears are significantly off axis.

If you power the rear speakers down from the fronts you should be ok. The Image Dynamics CTX-69 street price at around $120 and should work well for you, while matching the fronts.

Mnaonik
11-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks seraphim and others all of your opinions are greatly appreciated. I have another issue. The darn kick panels are to shallow for the mid to fit. I'm thinking of getting a shallower component set for up front and putting these comps in the rear. I'm pretty disappointed as a fine woodworker I am supposed to be all about the fine details and I missed this when considering different components. Lol

zako
11-03-2012, 04:24 AM
My suggestion; don't get rear 6x9s that are brighter than your front stage, as it will move the sound image to far to the rear.

This can be easily dealt with using the head unit's rear fade control or amplifier gain. I don't know to what extent this is a good idea, but you could also tame the highs on the rear speaker by installing an inductor with an appropriate value inline with the speaker, effectively adding a 6dB slope low pass filter. On some coaxial speakers the tweeter can also be disconnected with no ill effect.