PDA

View Full Version : tweeter placement

sneekerfreek
04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
HEy everybody. I was driving down the road today, and was thinking about good places to put my tweeters. One place that came to mind was behind the steering wheel. The best way to describe this is to imagine driving, and having a tweeter next to the outside of the steering wheel on both sides. Would it matter that part of the wheel(inch thik maybe) would block the tweeter? or would it be best to try and make them have a clear path to your ear?

Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you

Mobile
04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
HEy everybody. I was driving down the road today, and was thinking about good places to put my tweeters. One place that came to mind was behind the steering wheel. The best way to describe this is to imagine driving, and having a tweeter next to the outside of the steering wheel on both sides. Would it matter that part of the wheel(inch thik maybe) would block the tweeter? or would it be best to try and make them have a clear path to your ear?

Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you

Bad idea. They would be way to "in-you-face". Also, as a rule of thumb, you want your tweeter as close to your woofer as possible; and on the same axis.

Also, if you put both tweeters on opposite sides of your steering wheel (if i understand correcty), you will have bad imaging.

sumone
04-08-2004, 12:39 AM
think of it like this - what would have better imaging:

speakers 1 foot in front of you, with 1 foot of space between them

or

speakers 3 feet in front of you, with 5 feet of space between them

it would be harder to differentiate what signals/sounds come from which speakers with the first scenario.

I always remember that the best image is supposed to be the triangular thing where 2 speakers are in front of you point inwards with you in the center. The distance between the speakers is equal to the distance between one speaker and you. In other words, an equilateral triangle with the speakers the 2 vertices and you the other vertex.

But I don't know if that applies to cars.

limitkid7
04-08-2004, 08:50 AM
put tweeters on dash or on the pilar. i'll try to get a picture of mine for you.. having it in the door like right next to the speaker is OK, if you have an extra set to mount up higher, otherwise i hate that ish... esp if you have rear fill (which is a must)!