PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate crossovers for tweets?

JoeK
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I have an amp here that virtually puts out no bass at all, i cant even set it to if i wanted. It was meant for use with tweeters, its a 2chan 120wat (60w each) olddd pyramid amp

Could i eliminate the use of a crossover if i just amp them to this?

goingdef
10-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I have an amp here that virtually puts out no bass at all, i cant even set it to if i wanted. It was meant for use with tweeters, its a 2chan 120wat (60w each) olddd pyramid amp

you wou;ld have to know where the amps x-over is set at and what the tweets can play down too, without knowing that and matching it up right you will destroy those tweets

JoeK
10-19-2012, 10:35 PM
you wou;ld have to know where the amps x-over is set at and what the tweets can play down too, without knowing that and matching it up right you will destroy those tweets

Theretically if i knew what they could play i can set a high pass for that? Not in this case but in general?

quackhead
10-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Theretically if i knew what they could play i can set a high pass for that? Not in this case but in general?

I have never, ever seen a amp that did not amplify bass frequencies without the aid of a crossover. Tweeters vary any where from 1,500hz to 4,000 hz. if you have a tweeter rated for a minimum of 2,500hz and you do not have it crossed over well above that (3,500hz for ex.) then it will destroy the tweeter.

goingdef
10-19-2012, 11:10 PM

yes but it's very rare to find an amp with that capability I had one that did it and it was an O.S. US amps 4ch but in most cases you would need an external electronic x-over before the amp on the input side.

JoeK
10-19-2012, 11:11 PM
yes but it's very rare to find an amp with that capability I had one that did it and it was an O.S. US amps 4ch but in most cases you would need an external electronic x-over before the amp on the input side.

Every 4ch amp i see has a high pass filters

goingdef
10-19-2012, 11:32 PM

But do they start at around 1000khz and go up to 5000khz? because that's where it matters your thinking of high pass filters that cut 60hz-250hz not khz.

JoeK
10-20-2012, 12:47 AM
But do they start at around 1000khz and go up to 5000khz? because that's where it matters your thinking of high pass filters that cut 60hz-250hz not khz.

ah mine starts at 350hz

TheUnderFighter
10-20-2012, 12:52 AM

Yea, but most only go up to 250 or 600 or maybe even 1000hz. But they NEED to be able to up to 5,000hz. So you can play with the tweets anywhere from 2kHz to 5Khz. This is called active processing.

maylar
10-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Show us a good pic of the hpf/lpf controls and we can give you better advice.

Babykinns
10-25-2012, 02:36 AM

Lol this is way wrong bud. I have a Scosche efx hd6004 1250 watt 4 channel and it runs a max of 40khz i have dual 12" kicker cvr dvc's 2ohm bridged on the rear channels and my 2 front dash tweeters wired together and ran off 1 of the front channels of my amp with hi/low pass put on hi, khz all the way up dubbing all the way down and max lvl on max and 4 5.5 alpines runnin off the head unit and that **** is crystal clear and so loud you can hear both the bass and the vocals 3 blocks away with no distortion. Think im bullsh1ttin ?? Come see me in Nelsonville Ohio and I'll prove it.

dragnix
10-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Lol this is way wrong bud. I have a Scosche efx hd6004 1250 watt 4 channel and it runs a max of 40khz i have dual 12" kicker cvr dvc's 2ohm bridged on the rear channels and my 2 front dash tweeters wired together and ran off 1 of the front channels of my amp with hi/low pass put on hi, khz all the way up dubbing all the way down and max lvl on max and 4 5.5 alpines runnin off the head unit and that **** is crystal clear and so loud you can hear both the bass and the vocals 3 blocks away with no distortion. Think im bullsh1ttin ?? Come see me in Nelsonville Ohio and I'll prove it.

dafug?

zako
10-25-2012, 02:51 AM

No. The fact that your amp does not "play bass" does not mean that it's full range signal is appropriate for a given tweeter. I assume it still "plays" mid-range? You don't want to send midrange frequencies to a tweeter. In fact, each tweeter can play only so low. Some can be high passed at 2KHz with a sharp crossover slope. Others need HP at around 5KHz If you send a signal that's lower than intended for the tweeter, then it will sound harsh.