PDA

View Full Version : Good tweeter?

stay_high
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a ppi a2.65c comp set. I blew one of the tweets out. So i need a new set of tweeters. I want them to get decently loud and have good sq. Will be ran off the ppi a2.65c crossovers and a kicker zx550.2. Want to spend no more than $40. Opinions on good tweeters?

stay_high
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Anyone? also i dont want the tweeters to have that annoying "harsh" ear piercing sound.

av83
10-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Anyone? also i dont want the tweeters to have that annoying "harsh" ear piercing sound.

I'll have some suggestions shortly. Out and about on my phone.

NASTY08IMPALA
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Aq st1

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Will the tweets be on- or off-axis? I'd just look at parts-express.com if all you want to replace is the tweets. Vifa XT25s are a really popular choice on DIYMA and you can get a pair for less than 75 bucks shipped.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

I know that's over your budget of 40, but those XT25s will definitely impress...

stay_high
10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
That AQ tweeter looking nice! Plus it would match my AQ subs =o

stay_high
10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Will the tweets be on- or off-axis? I'd just look at parts-express.com if all you want to replace is the tweets. Vifa XT25s are a really popular choice on DIYMA and you can get a pair for less than 75 bucks shipped.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

I know that's over your budget of 40, but those XT25s will definitely impress...

What do you mean by off axis and on axis? I have holes cut out in my door panel for my current (blown) tweets. So any tweets i buy will have to go into those holes or else i will just have some random holes in my door panels lol.. The holes are about chest high right next to the door handle.

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
What do you mean by off axis and on axis? I have holes cut out in my door panel for my current (blown) tweets. So any tweets i buy will have to go into those holes or else i will just have some random holes in my door panels lol.. The holes are about chest high right next to the door handle.

On-axis means the tweeters are pointed at the listener. Off-axis means they're pointed at some angle away from you.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 09:39 PM
On-axis means the tweeters are pointed at the listener. Off-axis means they're pointed at some angle away from you.

Oh well yes there pointed... sorta at the listener. Mounted on the door panel . I can post pics if needed

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
That'll help get you recommendations. I still stand by those Vifa XT25s. Stand up really well when compared to others and are touted for being flat throughout the frequency range. Perform well on-or-off axis

stay_high
10-19-2012, 09:56 PM

its right next to the door handles. Sorry crap quality its dark out took em with an iphone camera and flash

stay_high
10-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Thinking that would be off axis...

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, that's off-axis. I see some issues if you're looking at improving your sound quality with their placement so low in the car, though. Consider moving your tweets up to the a-pillar and you could reap some serious audio benefit there. Otherwise, consider looking at the DIYMA classifieds. People there are more likely to be selling just tweets and hopefully will include swivel-mounting hardware. That'll give you more freedom with placement, turning them to an on-axis tweet.

Kangaroux
10-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Aq st1

He said he doesn't like a harsh sound...super tweets (and any pro audio in general, really) usually have a harsh sound to them.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, that's off-axis. I see some issues if you're looking at improving your sound quality with their placement so low in the car, though. Consider moving your tweets up to the a-pillar and you could reap some serious audio benefit there. Otherwise, consider looking at the DIYMA classifieds. People there are more likely to be selling just tweets and hopefully will include swivel-mounting hardware. That'll give you more freedom with placement, turning them to an on-axis tweet.
I would move em to the A-piller.. If only i woudnt be left with a big gaping hole in my door panel lol

goingdef
10-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I bought these a while back to temporarily replace my mbquart german made tweet that blew and I was shocked they sounded good and went a long time on way over rms.

Audiobahn AT60J 2yr WARNTY 5 8" Car Silk Dome Tweeters New Tweeter Pair | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOBAHN-AT60J-2YR-WARNTY-5-8-CAR-SILK-DOME-TWEETERS-NEW-TWEETER-PAIR-/290774975539?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43b38a0433)

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I would move em to the A-piller.. If only i woudnt be left with a big gaping hole in my door panel lol

Lol well the ghetto fix would be to leave that tweet there and make people think it makes noise. Otherwise, I'm sure you could practice some DIY skills and re-wrap that panel.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Lol well the ghetto fix would be to leave that tweet there and make people think it makes noise. Otherwise, I'm sure you could practice some DIY skills and re-wrap that panel.

Re-wrap the panel =o this sounds interesting. Please explain haha. and lol at leaving em there and telling people they make noise such a good idea

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:12 PM
New price range no more than $50.

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Re-wrap the panel =o this sounds interesting. Please explain haha. and lol at leaving em there and telling people they make noise such a good idea

If it's fabric, just match the swatch and stretch a few layers over it. If it's plastic, you could just use a filler and sand/paint it smooth. Tons of pics in build threads if you're curious.

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter 275-070 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-070)
Vifa BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter 264-1028 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1028)
Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter 264-1014 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1014)

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter 275-070 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-070)
Vifa BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter 264-1028 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1028)
Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter 264-1014 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1014)

I hear certain dome tweeters are better for certain music genres. Tru? If so, i mainly listen to rap. Some dubstep here and there. So what type of tweet should i be looking at? Appreciate the advice thus far

Rich B
10-19-2012, 10:24 PM
CDT AUDIO TW 25s NEW 1" SILK DOME TWEETERS OPEN BOX

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CDT-AUDIO-TW-25s-NEW-1-SILK-DOME-TWEETERS-OPEN-BOX-/09/%21B694LOgEGk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKj8Ey,iz4WEyBMy1+m,jcg% 7E%7E-1_1.JPG

Price:
US $59.99 ($10 above your price range)

Shipping:
FREE

CDT Audio TW 25S New 1" Silk Dome Tweeters Open Box | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDT-AUDIO-TW-25s-NEW-1-SILK-DOME-TWEETERS-OPEN-BOX-/130416987619?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1e5d754de3)

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:25 PM
It used to be that hard domes were more sibilant and harsh than soft domes but things are constantly changing and even JBL's MS series components include very relaxed metal dome tweets. If you tune your subs to be the forefront of your system, look at a hard dome. Otherwise, the ring radiator or the soft domes will be a great choice.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
It used to be that hard domes were more sibilant and harsh than soft domes but things are constantly changing and even JBL's MS series components include very relaxed metal dome tweets. If you tune your subs to be the forefront of your system, look at a hard dome. Otherwise, the ring radiator or the soft domes will be a great choice.
I want to hear my mids/highs over my subs i want them to be way louder. So im thinking the soft/radiator.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:38 PM
CDT AUDIO TW 25s NEW 1" SILK DOME TWEETERS OPEN BOX

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CDT-AUDIO-TW-25s-NEW-1-SILK-DOME-TWEETERS-OPEN-BOX-/09/%21B694LOgEGk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKj8Ey,iz4WEyBMy1+m,jcg% 7E%7E-1_1.JPG

Price:
US $59.99 ($10 above your price range)

Shipping:
FREE

CDT Audio TW 25S New 1" Silk Dome Tweeters Open Box | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDT-AUDIO-TW-25s-NEW-1-SILK-DOME-TWEETERS-OPEN-BOX-/130416987619?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1e5d754de3)

Im weary of getting those tyoe of tweets with the wire already attached. Because im gona run 14 gauge speaker wire all around to my mids, crossovers, and tweets and it seems wierd having to crimp 14 gauge wire to that 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire already attached to the tweet

stay_high
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Plus i just raised my price $10. not raising it another 10

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 10:54 PM
For 50 on PE, you'll get a solid pair. Get the Vifa ring radiators and play with them where your current tweets are. You can always move them up to the a-pillar if they're not working for you there. Worst case you'll be able to get your money back pretty easily on them. Just under 40 shipped...

stay_high
10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
For 50 on PE, you'll get a solid pair. Get the Vifa ring radiators and play with them where your current tweets are. You can always move them up to the a-pillar if they're not working for you there. Worst case you'll be able to get your money back pretty easily on them. Just under 40 shipped...

Will probably order them but not tonight or anything. Gona wait and see if i get anymore suggestions. But those are only $20? Are they as good as a 40-50$ set? I really dont mind spending 50 on a set just no more. But im sure anything is better than the PPI tweets i had haha. Every lyric that started with a "s" or "c" like echoed in my ears and hurt lol

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Don't let the price fool you. They're sold individually, not in pairs (so 40 total). But yes, it's still a killer deal.

mlstrass
10-19-2012, 11:25 PM
XST's are VERY nice sounding tweeters, but they will NOT work in that location on your doors. They must be on-axis as even 30degrees off and output drops a ton. I've run them in a few vehicles.

I've also installed the AQ's in several cars and they are not harsh at all if not over powered. They have a very full bodied sound and can get quiet loud, but can easily blend in and sound good on all types of music. Run them in the wife's mini van which is a daily set up and she's quite happy with them.

mlstrass
10-19-2012, 11:27 PM
"S" sound can be tamed if you have some EQ ability at 10Khz - 12.5Khz...

av83
10-19-2012, 11:27 PM
stay_high ; your inbox is full.

And I'm the one who suggested the tweeter placement. I prefer to keep the tweets as close to the mids as possible. And I know I'm not the only one. If I didn't have stock sail panel locations, mine would be lower, too.

stay_high
10-19-2012, 11:42 PM
XST's are VERY nice sounding tweeters, but they will NOT work in that location on your doors. They must be on-axis as even 30degrees off and output drops a ton. I've run them in a few vehicles.

I've also installed the AQ's in several cars and they are not harsh at all if not over powered. They have a very full bodied sound and can get quiet loud, but can easily blend in and sound good on all types of music. Run them in the wife's mini van which is a daily set up and she's quite happy with them.

IM willing to install the tweets somewhere else but would rather not... Might get the AQ's but i will be running around 200 rms on them. (kicker zx550.2)

stay_high
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
stay_high ; your inbox is full.

And I'm the one who suggested the tweeter placement. I prefer to keep the tweets as close to the mids as possible. And I know I'm not the only one. If I didn't have stock sail panel locations, mine would be lower, too.

inbox is clear now.

av83
10-19-2012, 11:47 PM
IM willing to install the tweets somewhere else but would rather not... Might get the AQ's but i will be running around 200 rms on them. (kicker zx550.2)

My tweets are not on axis and sound great. They are the CDT TW-25 that was mentioned earlier. I'll look around and see if I can find a deal on them.

stay_high
10-20-2012, 12:02 AM
My tweets are not on axis and sound great. They are the CDT TW-25 that was mentioned earlier. I'll look around and see if I can find a deal on them.

Those look nice. But i am totally willing to relocate them. I work at a place that does a lot of fabricating and what not and im sure they could help me fix the holes left in my door panel. So if that what it take to get volume and sq out of a tweeter set then so be it. Dont wana let that hold me back.

neo_styles
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Those look nice. But i am totally willing to relocate them. I work at a place that does a lot of fabricating and what not and im sure they could help me fix the holes left in my door panel. So if that what it take to get volume and sq out of a tweeter set then so be it. Dont wana let that hold me back.

Just find a spot on your a-pillar a couple inches above the highest point of your dash and mount the tweets there. If you can swivel-mount them it'll save you a ton of time with aiming and you can move it around to your personal tastes. If you can't swivel-mount, you can just velcro them up there until you find what you like best.

av83
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Just find a spot on your a-pillar a couple inches above the highest point of your dash and mount the tweets there. If you can swivel-mount them it'll save you a ton of time with aiming and you can move it around to your personal tastes. If you can't swivel-mount, you can just velcro them up there until you find what you like best.

whats wrong with the location if the tweets he chooses can perform off axis? they don't even look to be that far off.

neo_styles
10-20-2012, 12:21 AM
whats wrong with the location if the tweets he chooses can perform off axis? they don't even look to be that far off.

Just looks like he's going to get some nasty reflections from the steering wheel. It's right in the path of his driver's side tweet. He could always mount an off-axis tweet there, but if he's willing to make some mods to his a-pillar he can dramatically improve his sound stage.

TheUnderFighter
10-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Not read the thread. But if you're just swapping out tweeters into the same component set, you need the same tweeters. This thread is 3 pages long and I hope this has been said. If you don't want the same tweeter, you need a new component set, or you need to crossover your speakers actively.

Dtrom
10-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Crescendo?

neo_styles
10-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Not read the thread. But if you're just swapping out tweeters into the same component set, you need the same tweeters. This thread is 3 pages long and I hope this has been said. If you don't want the same tweeter, you need a new component set, or you need to crossover your speakers actively.

What he means is the crossovers for your comp set have preset crossover values for the tweets to play how the manufacturer intended. If you replace the tweet without replacing the crossover, it could sound better or it could sound like crap. At 40 bucks, though, I think it's worth the gamble.

stay_high
10-20-2012, 12:56 AM
omfg so now i may need a whole new comp set car audio is ridiculous.

neo_styles
10-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Lol relax bud. Could be way more expensive than this when you get down to it. Worst case put up a WTB ad saying you need tweeters for your comp set and see what people are willing to offer. Could be surprised. A lot of these guys know how certain things will end up working together. Believe it or not, everyone on ca.com does not have active setups.

stay_high
10-20-2012, 12:58 AM
What he means is the crossovers for your comp set have preset crossover values for the tweets to play how the manufacturer intended. If you replace the tweet without replacing the crossover, it could sound better or it could sound like crap. At 40 bucks, though, I think it's worth the gamble.

So can you buy crossovers seperatly? I wanted this ppi comp set to be the last thing i added to my system then be done spending money on it. Then i bought the kicker zx550.2. now my tweets blew. Now i may need new crossovers??? Whats my fastest way out of this?

TheUnderFighter
10-20-2012, 12:59 AM

I mean it will almost always sound bad.

omfg so now i may need a whole new comp set car audio is ridiculous.

You just need to find the same tweeters. See if SoundStream can sell you some. See if anyone is selling just the tweeter. Or, go active. That's what I did because I wanted to be able to use whatever speakers I wanted and not be bound by component sets and crossovers.

stay_high
10-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Well unless i can find those same tweeters i cant get anything for a good amount of time. I cant afford to put another dime into this. I appreciate the replys tho at least now i know.

mlstrass
10-20-2012, 01:51 AM

NO tweeter needs 200watts, the AQ's only need about 20-30. They also come with a cap for a HPF, so you wouldn't connect them to your passive xover and they'll work fine.

mlstrass
10-20-2012, 01:54 AM
I mean it will almost always sound bad.

You just need to find the same tweeters. See if SoundStream can sell you some. See if anyone is selling just the tweeter. Or, go active. That's what I did because I wanted to be able to use whatever speakers I wanted and not be bound by component sets and crossovers.

It "might" not be optimal, but I'm willing to bet any of the decent budget tweeters out there would work fine. Do you really think the xovers in his passive set have some magical xover point/slope that will only work with the tweeters that came with the set....

stay_high
10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
NO tweeter needs 200watts, the AQ's only need about 20-30. They also come with a cap for a HPF, so you wouldn't connect them to your passive xover and they'll work fine.
well i have that kicker amp power my components so they woudnt be getting 200 rms. prob closer to 100 or so but even less because i woudnt set gain high at all. SO then what would i hook them up to if not the xovers?

stay_high
10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Well i think i may just save up for a whole new (nice) component set and just listen to my system with 1 tweet for awile lol.. Was looking at these as possible choices. Opinions or suggestions?
Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs (CTX 65 CS) 6.5" CTX Component Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22330_Image-Dynamics-CTX-6.5cs.html#tabs)
Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-1/2" Component Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18913_Infinity-Reference-6030cs.html)
Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34364_Alpine-SPR-60C.html)
Rockford Fosgate T1652-S (09-t1652s) 6-1/2" Power Series (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19564_Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T1652-S.html)

zako
10-21-2012, 03:39 AM
To tell you the truth, plugging a random tweeter into a passive crossover box you have is highly unlikely to produce good sound. What if the level of the new tweeter to high? What if it is too low? What if the high pass frequency is too low for the tweeter? What if impedance is difference? The crossover box was probably designed for that particular PPI tweeter. Try to find exactly the same tweeter, or better convert the front sound stage to active, and then look for a good tweeter.

rebelfromva
10-21-2012, 04:09 AM
I have a set of hd100 cdt tweets and the xover from the component set they both were in. If do 59 shipped on the tweets. Add a little more if you want xovers too