PDA

View Full Version : Sub enclosure vibration/flexing...

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 03:04 PM
When I put my hand on the box, I can feel it vibrating which doesn't seem normal to me. Am I losing output because of this? What could be causing it?

RangerDangerV2
10-19-2012, 03:05 PM
yes you are losing output. and the most probable cause is that the enclosure does not have sufficient bracing.

kushy_dreams
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
yup, what the residant idiot said

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Doubt it's due to lack of bracing as it is a single sub enclosure, but could it be due to not be sealed off correctly?

RangerDangerV2
10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Doubt it's due to lack of bracing as it is a single sub enclosure, but could it be due to not be sealed off correctly?

sure, dont listen to me because im sure that you have much more experience with enclosures than I do.

kushy_dreams
10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
No, its due to lack of bracing, what kind of sub and what kind of box is it (sealed/ported/volume/tune/dimensions/who built it)?

RangerDangerV2
10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
the problem is that you have a pos enclosure. next time build one the correct way.

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 03:29 PM
sure, dont listen to me because im sure that you have much more experience with enclosures than I do.

Sorry didn't mean to come across that way, I obviously posted here because I need your expertise.. :D The enclosure is a $20 pos prefab sealed box.

RangerDangerV2
10-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Sorry didn't mean to come across that way, I obviously posted here because I need your expertise.. :D The enclosure is a $20 pos prefab sealed box.

get rid of it. I can design/build one or you can figure out a way to design your own. I would prefer it if you would do the second option. if you do ask plenty of questions along the way as it is a wonderful learning experience. I really wish more people knew how to design their own shiz these days...

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 03:34 PM
No, its due to lack of bracing, what kind of sub and what kind of box is it (sealed/ported/volume/tune/dimensions/who built it)?

Sub is a jl 10w3v3 powered off the rear channels of a zed draconia II (400w RMS)

cdc351jeferson
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
get rid of it. I can design/build one or you can figure out a way to design your own. I would prefer it if you would do the second option. if you do ask plenty of questions along the way as it is a wonderful learning experience. I really wish more people knew how to design their own shiz these days...

yeah im trying to learn that myself :)

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM

I have built/designed a few enclosures in the past, boy would I love to. Unfortunately, I don't have the workspace to do so. :(

double 07
10-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I could build you a killer box for a killer price but shipping it to WA...ouch!!! .....I don't need all of you guys to learn how to design and build boxes because I would be lonely and BROKE!!!!.....LOL

cdc351jeferson
10-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I could build you a killer box for a killer price but shipping it to WA...ouch!!! .....I don't need all of you guys to learn how to design and build boxes because I would be lonely and BROKE!!!!.....LOL

even when i think i can build a ok box YOU will be building my enclosures brian lol

seatown1two
10-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Just came back from car toys... They said the enclosure vibrating is normal.. WTF?

mat3833
10-20-2012, 12:21 AM
the enclosure will vibrate. even the stiffest ones will vibrate. what you dont want is the enclosure FLEXING. i have yet to see an enclosure that did not "vibrate" if i put my hand on it while it was playing. and i have seen some pretty crazy enclosures(concrete anyone? how about granite?) i dont care how stiff you make a box. the sub will make the **** thing vibrate. just like playing music in your car will make ur windows/trunk vibrate or playing music in ur house will make ur walls/floor vibrate(if you have a good system in each case).

granted with a cheap *** prefab like that i wouldnt doubt it if you told me the walls looked like waves...

Matt