PDA

View Full Version : overpowering component speakers

Falcons
10-19-2012, 02:49 PM
im just curious at how much you over power your aftermarket component speakers? and in doing so, how much does it help on bringing your staging to the front of the car? obviously by overpowering your going to have more midbass.

av83
10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
My comp set is waaaaay over powered, and it sounds badazz. I have >100 rms going to each tweet and each woof, separately, since its active. It is mind-blowing what plenty of well managed power can do, even for entry level comps like mine.

Falcons
10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
My comp set is waaaaay over powered, and it sounds badazz. I have >100 rms going to each tweet and each woof, separately, since its active. It is mind-blowing what plenty of well managed power can do, even for entry level comps like mine.

what speakers and tweets are you running? i have an amp that could do >200 watts bridged @ 4 ohm and i want to be able to use all of it

av83
10-19-2012, 03:31 PM
what speakers and tweets are you running? i have an amp that could do >200 watts bridged @ 4 ohm and i want to be able to use all of it

It's in my sig. The set was rated for about 130 per side at 120hz hpf. I don't remember what the tweets are rated at, and the rating for just my mids aren't listed anywhere.

av83
10-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Your talking about bridging a 4 channel down to 2, & running your comps off it?

Falcons
10-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Your talking about bridging a 4 channel down to 2, & running your comps off it?

nah bridging a 2 channel down to 1. im not gonna be running rears, just fronts. im going to run passive. rockford fosgate p200-2

Chriszle
10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Why not use 1 channel for each side?

Falcons
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Why not use 1 channel for each side?

thats another option. its just with that ill need 2 ohm comps. then i can do 100 watts x2 @ 2ohm

av83
10-19-2012, 03:48 PM
nah bridging a 2 channel down to 1. im not gonna be running rears, just fronts. im going to run passive. rockford fosgate p200-2

No. you will need two channels, lol... One for each side. I would get one of the two-ohm cdt sets that woofersetc.com sells to use on that amp so you can get all of the power you can out of it.

Falcons
10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
No. you will need two channels, lol... One for each side. I would get one of the two-ohm cdt sets that woofersetc.com sells to use on that amp so you can get all of the power you can out of it.

this is exactly why i asked before i bought haha. thanks

av83
10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
this is exactly why i asked before i bought haha. thanks

You're welcome.

av83
10-19-2012, 03:58 PM
WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A.2-25 PRO - CDT Audio Classic 2-Ohm 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9365-cl-61a2-25-pro-cdt-audio-classic-2-ohm-65-2-way-component-speakers.aspx)

zako
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
im just curious at how much you over power your aftermarket component speakers? and in doing so, how much does it help on bringing your staging to the front of the car? obviously by overpowering your going to have more midbass.

First, of all, what do you mean by "overpowering". You can connect a 100watt RMS speaker to a 500watt RMS channel, but that's not really "overpowering" if you have calibrated amplifier gain to provide the speaker with just say 100watts at the most. Moreover, "overpowering" your front speakers will not make your midbass louder relative to the mid-range. If you run more power, then both midbass and mid-range get louder. A typical car-fi speaker has mid-bass frequency response rolling down below 100Hz. You can try to boost midbass with equalizer but this usually doesn't work well. Most car-fi speakers run out of excursion or sound harsh this way. Finally, I really don't know sometimes where the manufacturers get the RMS power ratings for speakers. A lot of the time speakers do not have the excursion to deal with even manufacturer recommended RMS power unless you set the high pass filter to something like 150Hz, killing speaker's midbass completely.

The next thing is that bringing the front stage to the front of car is easy. Turn off or turn down the rear speakers. That's the most important thing.