PDA

View Full Version : Choosing 3.5'' dash speakers

Siguy
10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
So, based on the other thread I started, I've decided to install a 2-channel amp running 6.5'' midwoofers, with a 250hz low-pass crossover, and 3.5'' coaxial speakers run from the head unit, mounted on the dashboard.

Earlier, I'd decided upon the Polk DB351s, because they seemed like a good deal, but I'm concerned they may not be up to my audiophile standards. I was wondering how they compare to other 3.5'' coaxials, such as the Infinity Kappa 32.9cf, Pioneer TS-A878, Rockford Fosgate Punch P132, Hertz ECX-87, and various others with prices ranging from $30-$100+. Obviously I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I don't want to settle for a solution I'll end up regretting. The big problem for me is that I have trouble differing them from one another... There don't seem to be many reviews, in general, for 3.5'' speakers.

Would it even be worth it to buy 4'' full-range drivers and tweeters, and attempting to hook them up with low-cost passive crossovers? I imagine that'd be hard to fit in my dashboard, though...

Siguy
10-20-2012, 07:39 PM
bump

splwj47
10-20-2012, 07:53 PM
bump

i have a set of focal 4 inch coaxials for 70 bucks shipped. very nice speakers. 50rms per driver and they have silk tweets.

fasfocus00
10-20-2012, 08:26 PM
since i've dealt with an issue like this before, I'll tell you want I did. I went to parts express and got a full range driver, i was much happier with this route.

Siguy
10-20-2012, 09:25 PM
since i've dealt with an issue like this before, I'll tell you want I did. I went to parts express and got a full range driver, i was much happier with this route.

I was considering going with Dayton RS100-4 drivers, but I'm concerned about their ability to handle upwards of 20khz without distortion. Do they perform adequately without tweeters?