PDA

View Full Version : building a 100% sq enclosure

Falcons
10-18-2012, 12:00 AM
what are some things i should know and be ready to do? in the past ive just built a standard ported enclosure tuned to 30-34 just to get stupid loud.

now im kinda getting out of the "getting loud" stage, and i would like to build an sq system. i already know what to do with the speakers and everything as i have looked up many different builds with increasing midbass and such.

so with all of that being said, what should i look for in building an sq enclosure. im running 2000 watts off of a 12" tc9 with fi soft parts. ill take any pointers.

Falcons
10-18-2012, 12:31 AM
bump

Boomsday
10-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Seal it

Dirtrider4eva
10-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Sealed? Idk.

Fi-brations
10-18-2012, 12:38 AM
2000w of sq? from what i have gathered in my own homework, higher power handling is not good for sound quality in a driver(dont remember exactly why, something to do with Le or F3 or Qtc). Also the whole goal is to create a transparent substage, blending your subwoofer with your mids

Falcons
10-18-2012, 12:38 AM
after a lot of thought i really dont want to go sealed. i want a flat curve while using a ported enclosure. as flat as i can get it anyway.

Falcons
10-18-2012, 12:40 AM
2000w of sq? from what i have gathered in my own homework, higher power handling is not good for sound quality in a driver(dont remember exactly why, something to do with Le or F3 or Qtc). Also the whole goal is to create a transparent substage, blending your subwoofer with your mids

yeah this will come later. eh maybe ill just build a sealed enclosure and test it. worst comes to worst ill just have to build a new box.

Julian
10-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Model, Model, Model, Test, Test, Test.
And lots of EQ just in case.

Fi-brations
10-18-2012, 12:43 AM
I just bought a flatlyne for my sq build, box on its way from star mountain, IA recommended 5 cubes ported, we tuned it to 32hz I believe, so as far as sealed vs ported it really just depends on the driver, its probably easier to get a flat response with a sealed box but it might have as much lend end output as you need it to, only one way to find out

gckless
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
T-line box. I wouldn't even know how to begin designing one though, ask someone smart on boxes. But have read in a lot of places there are very flat. Also heard they are much bigger, so that may not work for you. But you're trying to go SQ off 2000W, I'd assume at 1ohm? Sounds like an uphill battle. Doubt you're going to do better than sealed for SQ with that setup. It's all going to be about the install and tuning jobs though. Far more important than actual equipment.

Falcons
10-18-2012, 01:14 AM
T-line box. I wouldn't even know how to begin designing one though, ask someone smart on boxes. But have read in a lot of places there are very flat. Also heard they are much bigger, so that may not work for you. But you're trying to go SQ off 2000W, I'd assume at 1ohm? Sounds like an uphill battle. Doubt you're going to do better than sealed for SQ with that setup. It's all going to be about the install and tuning jobs though. Far more important than actual equipment.

im not looking to win any sq comps. i just want something other than throwing a woofer in the back and calling it a "system". i know i need some good sealed off speakers too. looks like im just gonna have to test. thanks for the help guys.

akheathen
10-18-2012, 04:46 AM
one thing i would be looking at is the natural response of the driver, first, then the rf of the vehicle in question. figure out the blend point and drop-off of the mids, etc.

Bettr n' Revrse
10-18-2012, 05:56 AM
2000 watt SQ build :wow: