PDA

View Full Version : Speaker only playing at high volumes...?

Mills561
10-17-2012, 08:26 PM
I have a set of CDT audio CL-60 components I recently got installed. They are hooked to a small Hifonics amp. For some reason, one of the speakers is only playing at high volumes. From about "0-15" it's not playing at all. "16-30" it cuts in and out. "30-35" it plays without any problems. What gives? Bad wiring? Bad RCAs? Thanks.

gckless
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM
You sure all your connections are good (i.e. decent amount of metal contact for transfer) and they are tight? Did you buy used or new?

mylows10
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
check wiring first ,if ok , then check amp see if going in and out of protect ,check the ground and power have good contact and continuity ,

Mills561
10-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's a strong possibility that there is not enough metal contact. I **** at stripping wires haha. I'll check it out tomorrow in the daylight and hope that solves the problem. Thanks guys

Mills561
10-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I bought them used. But again, it is only one of the speakers that isn't producing sound... so I imagine not enough metal contact is the problem.

Mills561
10-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Still having problems. Was messing with the wiring yesterday... re-did the speaker connections to the amp. After the first time the right speaker was still cutting in and out except at high volumes. The woofer was continuously playing, but the tweeter was not producing. Re-did the connections again and then the right speaker was fine but the left was getting no power at all. Does this sound like an amp problem or speaker connection problem?

I am using a 4 channel amp so later today I will try to switch the speakers to a different channel and hopefully that will solve the problem.