PDA

View Full Version : box "drawing" program?

mat3833
10-16-2012, 04:09 AM
what do you guys use to draw out your boxes? if i still had AutoCad i would be all for it, but id prefer something simple that i can post a pic of on here to get feedback.

Matt

DakotaSPL
10-16-2012, 04:18 AM
I use google sketchup it works pretty well and best of all its free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCeUB63Sjks

DakotaSPL
10-16-2012, 04:19 AM
and cad makes me want to punch babies and kick small kittens.... just sayin

mat3833
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
i was in the engineering academy in high school. so i used autocad and a few 3D modeling programs for 4 years. but ill check out sketchup thanks!

Matt

pro-rabbit
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
i was in the engineering academy in high school. so i used autocad and a few 3D modeling programs for 4 years. but ill check out sketchup thanks!

Matt

If you have any cad programs you will find sketchup pretty easy and at times it will just seem to not work like you want it too. However, it is a bit quicker to work with some times do to it's simplicity.

mat3833
10-16-2012, 02:04 PM
hell hopefully i can get all my calculations done today and model a box so i can have it complete when the subs get here.

Matt

RAM_Designs
10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Google SketchUp...

skylineTT
10-16-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't like SketchUp but I've been using Autodesk Inventor for 4+ years.

RAM_Designs
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
SketchUp is so easy, it's ridiculous. And you can make stuff look great too, if you know how to do it.

pro-rabbit
10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
SketchUp is so easy, it's ridiculous. And you can make stuff look great too, if you know how to do it.

I agree, but bouncing back and forth between programs I get to where I'm about to no longer use sketchup do to it's lack of ability to always do exactly what I want and how I want it. Sketch up is a great tool for sure. The simple truth is it is hard to compare a free(or cheap if you paid) program(sketchup) to a high end programs that cost far to much.

My truthful answer is this.

If you have other programs that you are good with, you will likely get upset with sketchup and I see no reason to both with it. If you don't have a program and want something free or very cheap then sketchup is your program and you will love it.

skylineTT
10-16-2012, 02:42 PM

If you've never used another modeling software before, I think sketchup is great. It is easy, free, etc. I get Inventor Pro for free every year though and I've been using it for modeling, flow/stress analysis, etc. for years so I just use it much more quickly than if I was to fart around with sketchup. Lol It costs $7300 to buy it outright so I download the newest version every year and make sure I use it as much as possible.

RAM_Designs
10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I agree, but bouncing back and forth between programs I get to where I'm about to no longer use sketchup do to it's lack of ability to always do exactly what I want and how I want it.

What exactly does it not do the way you want it to?

mat3833
10-16-2012, 11:06 PM
sketchup wasnt too bad to work with. not a fan of how the "extrude" works to make and remove material tho. anyways i got the box finished. anyone with Sketchup care to take a look at it for me and see if i messed up anything?

Matt

maylar
10-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I have DesignCAD that I use for mechanical drawings. It's less than $60 for the 3D version and even cheaper for 2D. It has more stuff than I'll ever use.

pro-rabbit
10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
What exactly does it not do the way you want it to?

It just doesn't always feel as smooth or comfortable as I like mainly. Rotating the design around can become "clunky" and such.

mat3833
10-17-2012, 01:52 PM
hey rabbit, i sent an email to you last night. im looking for a tiny bit of design help. :-)

Matt

pro-rabbit
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
hey rabbit, i sent an email to you last night. im looking for a tiny bit of design help. :-)

Matt

I will try and check it email today. Been backed up for the past few weeks so it may take some time to get to it.

Dirtrider4eva
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
the program requires abit of a learning curve. i understand most now. but i have issues with doing mountings wholes occasionally. and double baffle flush mount designs as well.

mat3833
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
not a problem rabbit. toss me on the low priority list. mainly i just need someone with bass box pro and some design knowledge to tell me if the port configuration i have will be ok and if the overall design of my box will be ok. im going to tweak it over the next few days and see if i can get the tuning back up to 22 hz since i had to add a good bit of port length.

Matt