PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic filter for SPL enclosure?

acura3.2tl
10-14-2012, 02:36 AM
A question for informative purposes.... what would happen if you had a box tuned to say 40hz but set the subsonic filter at 20hz? Would it ruin the sub at some point listening to bass songs with 20hz?

IonRL205
10-14-2012, 02:45 AM
A question for informative purposes.... what would happen if you had a box tuned to say 40hz but set the subsonic filter at 20hz? Would it ruin the sub at some point listening to bass songs with 20hz?

If you're tuned at 40 hz, you're gonna bottom out way before you get to 20 hz. Basically bottoming out is when your sub tries to exceed xmax, pretty much trying to over excurt.

Pretty much if you want to hit low notes without this problem, then your best bet is to tune low. And yes it would ruin the sub, probably pretty quick if you tried to blast a 20 hz tone through it.

Sub Bass Woofrz
10-14-2012, 02:46 AM
If you're tuned at 40 hz, you're gonna bottom out way before you get to 20 hz. Basically bottoming out is when your sub tries to exceed xmax, pretty much trying to over excurt.

Pretty much if you want to hit low notes without this problem, then your best bet is to tune low. And yes it would ruin the sub, probably pretty quick if you tried to blast a 20 hz tone through it.

thats not what hes saying... hes saying what would happen if the subsonic was set at 20 hz... if you have ss filter at 20 hz and play 20 hz bass there wouldnt be any sound coming through??? or am i wrong

TaylorFade
10-14-2012, 02:50 AM
thats not what hes saying... hes saying what would happen if the subsonic was set at 20 hz... if you have ss filter at 20 hz and play 20 hz bass there wouldnt be any sound coming through??? or am i wrong

I think you're wrong.

Tuned to 40 and SSF @ 20 is a bad idea.

But, what's this got to do with an SPL enclosure?

acura3.2tl
10-14-2012, 04:09 PM
I just said an SPL enclosure because usualy an spl enclosure is tuned higher like 40hz where as an sq enclosure would be more like 30 or so... Would it be safe to set the subsonic filter at 30hz with a 40hz tune then?

murph
10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I just said an SPL enclosure because usualy an spl enclosure is tuned higher like 40hz where as an sq enclosure would be more like 30 or so... Would it be safe to set the subsonic filter at 30hz with a 40hz tune then?

Yes 28-32hz setting will be fine.

Kangaroux
10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Generally you want to set your subsonic 5hz below tuning. It's different for everyone because your vehicle effects it, so you'll have to play around with it and find the sweet spot. The subsonic filter works by applying a 24 db/octave rolloff below what it's set to. If you set it to 20hz then that means anything below 20hz is now lowered in volume by 24 db/octave. 20hz would still be close to full volume. If you wanted 20hz to be very little excursion you would need to set your SSF to something like 30hz+

acura3.2tl
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Cool thanks guys... What about subsonic filter with a sealed enclosure?

mat3833
10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
you dont need a Subsonic with a sealed enclosure.

acura3.2tl
10-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Really no ssf for a sealed enclosure? A sealed rolls off like a ssf or what?

Chriszle
10-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Really no ssf for a sealed enclosure? A sealed rolls off like a ssf or what?

You still may need to use ssf even in a sealed box, it depends on if you are hitting the mechanical limits of the sub.

ewadz3006
10-15-2012, 02:27 AM
How do you know whete its at? My amp has like two numbers on it. One at either end of the knob.
How do you know exactly what hz its at?

mat3833
10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
ok, so i guess i should have elaborated. you dont need a SS filter with most sealed enclosures. generaly large sealed enclosures dig a bit lower than small sealed boxes and some settups(read high power lowish excursion subs) may end up needing a SS filter in a larger box to prevent woofer damage.

and as for the SS filter knob, you really dont know what its at unless you test it. im not sure how you go about testing it.

Matt

wickedwitt
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

I'm tuned high and I can hit low notes w/out problem. When you working so I can come rattle the building and show you?:naughty: FYI horse was on 80% when I showed you, I have since fixed that.