PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

neo_styles
10-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Review of Head Unit:
DISCLAIMER...This review will be based towards a new buyer with a snippet on the install. This was my first HU install so I want to give this from that perspective.

Just received my 8400 from Crutchfield yesterday. Got it as an Open Box item and saved myself about 100 bucks even figuring the harness adapter I needed for my 2006 Passat ($130 WTF?...got it for 65 because I ordered the HU). Was pleasantly surprised to find some of the cables in the wiring harness had printed labels on them; took out a lot of guesswork when wiring it to the harness adapter. Big ups to Pioneer for this one considering this was my first install. Current configuration of my Passat is all stock.

Pack-ins are fairly impressive. The box comes with a trim plate, wiring harness, mounting screws, a neoprene case for the faceplate when removed, microphone with sun visor clip, and separate manuals for English, French, and Spanish. If I have one gripe, I would ask the manuals to be larger since we all don't have 20/20 vision.
As far as connections go, the rear plate has 2 USB ports, SWC input, Rear-view camera input, proprietary video-in (used for adding Nav or for use with an iPhone with Advanced App Mode), BT mic input, Sirius module input, dual zone video out, and 3 sets of 4V RCAs. Below are a couple pictures from the unboxing and harness wiring:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-M2GqJZ9tIz4/UHDg-BMITOI/AAAAAAAAGNc/tPQc9-N2-MQ/w892-h669-p-k/IMG_0303.JPG
Unboxed and still in wrapping

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y172ewHyF18/UHDg-L45gAI/AAAAAAAAGNg/qovSciD9e4A/s1095/IMG_0304.JPG
Harness a few wires in

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IVFduDejGHU/UHDg9h8NMaI/AAAAAAAAGNU/ofvz2PG4GYw/s1095/IMG_0305.JPG
Completed harness including Microbypass (tucked into green wire bundle)

INSTALL (Skip forward if you don't care about install details)
I'll start by saying intallation was fairly straightforward. Everything powered on the first try and with no complications. Make sure you pre-plan and measure fittings to make sure the plug for the call microphone will fit where you intend. Many of the little nooks and crannies I wanted to tuck mine through simply wouldn't fit, so I had to feed it through the steering column. I'm going to be putting it under the arch of my dash but need stronger double-sided tape first. Right now it's just wedged in the steering column and locked in place. iPhone and USB cables are routed to the glove box and from there up the center pillar to a ProFit mount to the right of the HU. I'll upload more pics later, but it's getting dark and all I have is my iPhone camera right now.

INTERFACE/INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
First impressions are extremely good with the 8400. Power on time is about as short as it was with the stock HU and controls are simple enough. You can make things simpler by simply using the included remote instead of the touch screen if that is your preference. Menus are easy to navigate and the only lag I noticed was when switching in and out of Advanced App Mode or navigating folders on the iPod. I was pleased with the fact I could search by letter instead of having to endlessly scroll. Album art loaded quickly and was displayed clear enough to be legible. Even flat the SQ was a tremendous leap over stock (I chalk that up to the internal amplifier).

AUTO EQ
Now here's where things start to get hairy. The Auto EQ is VERY picky of its external environment. If you live on a busy street, good luck getting low end to come through when you run the Auto EQ. This is a setting best run in a quiet parking garage or off the main roads. To access this (in case you're having difficulty), you must hold PWR/SOURCE until the unit displays OFF, then press settings and you'll be able to select the Auto EQ. The manual states a proprietary mic is required to calibrate. I happened to have the exact model from my home amplifier so I didn't need to get another. You place the microphone over the driver's side headrest (where your ears would be), plug it in behind the faceplate (it will slide down automatically when you enable Auto EQ Adjustment) and press START on the screen. Now you conveniently get 10 seconds to GTFO of the car before your car starts blasting pink noise. Please do this. It's not worth premature hearing loss and the pink noise will be loud. 5-10 minutes later, the HU will tell you it's safe to come back inside, unplug the mic, and enjoy your system.
I was pleasantly surprised with the additional improvement in SQ as the sound stage was lifted much closer to ear level. Where I was previously able to hear way too much outside my car, even at moderate volume, I could no longer hear my wife and friend less than three feet away from the car. Across the frequency range I could hear new elements in music, from additional vocals on Knife Party's "Rage Valley" (Rage Valley EP) to punchier drums on QOTSA's "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" (Rated R) to timpani sections in Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" (courtesy of the McIntosh test disc). This is a step I feel should not be neglected unless you intend to run your EQ off an external EQ or sound processor.

ADVANCED APP MODE
This was the swing vote between my decision of the lower-level Pioneer Double-DINs and the 8400. I heavily use navigation and other mobile-friendly apps while on the road and was very excited to discover these features in a sub-$1K non-nav HU. Here's the catch: if you run this HU as intended by Pioneer, you need to engage, disengage, then re-engage your parking brake before you can make any inputs to a nav app. I was able to circumvent this through the use of a parking brake bypass. I know there's a stigma behind these and they're supposed to be for display/show use, but I see little point in having access to my nav apps but no input while moving. If my passenger needs to input an address, then what? I have to pull over? No thanks. That being said, use of a bypass should NEVER be used as a means to display movies or games while driving.
Rant aside, through the use of a PB bypass and AppRadio Extensions (requires a jailbroken iDevice), I now have freedom of choice when it comes to nav apps *cough*iOS6 Maps*cough*. This would not be a possibility with a HU that came with pre-installed nav.

FIRST CONCLUSIONS
So far, I have managed to use a couple nav apps, two iDevices, a couple CDs, ran Auto EQ a few times, and played around with switching apps in AAM. I am very impressed with what I've seen so far on this unit and would confidently recommend it to buyers interested in a way to better integrate their iPhone to their driving experience or even those who have no intention of every owning one but are looking at a solid multi-media HU.
I will provide more feedback as I spend more time on the road with my 8400.

P.S. If you are an iPhone 5 owner, STEER CLEAR. I have not personally tested this, but from what I've heard the Lightning port for the new iPhones does not support any video out which means Advanced App Mode is useless. If you have more insight to this, please place it in this thread.

neo_styles
10-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Forgot to mention in the main body, I did manage to make and receive a few phone calls while on the road. Call quality was strong and the person on the other end of the phone said I sounded like I was holding the phone to my ear despite the placement of the mic in the steering column. Thumbs up on this one.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Was you able to get turn by turn direction with maps ?
Have you try steaming pandora or Netflix on the unit?

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Pandora works without a hitch.

Didn't try Netflix, but YouTube works.

Maps TBT only works on iOS6 and I'm on 5.1.1 so can't test that. I have used Waze successfully and my music fades out when Waze is speaking turn directions.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Does waze Notify u off cops and etc. on the unit ?
Are you able to run waze and a second source at the same time?

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:52 AM
I've been using Waze with CarMediaPlay without issues. Since the display mirrors with everything in AAM you get all notifications. If you jailbreak and use Appradio Extensions, you also get text and email notifications. Let me just say Mike DeCaro is a genius. Look on avic411 for more details. App is free so you have nothing to lose.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Am running iOS 6
I heard there is a bad lag switching sounds back and forth on iPod ?

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Didn't notice a lag but today was the first day playing around with things. I'm using a 4th gen iPod Touch with all my audiophile WAV loaded (mostly test discs and EQ) and had no problem switching on that. Only lag I saw there was when I was navigating the folder system.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 02:05 AM
What cable are you using to connect iPhone ? What apps you recommend to get? Am not jailbroken

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 02:08 AM
I used an eBay Chinese replica of the CD-IU201s. 20 bucks instead of the retail 100 and works perfect. If you install the AppRadio app on your iPhone it'll show you the compatible apps. Of those, I'd get CarMediaPlay, Waze, BestParking, Pandora, Inrix, and Mixtrax (only if you listen to electronic music, otherwise skip). There's supposed to be 30-some-odd apps that are compatible with AAM, but these are the only ones worth your time. You can only see three apps at a time on the AAM screen so the less you have, the easier it is to navigate.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Cool plan on picking this headunit up in next day or two I bielive it comes with the IU201s

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Unless it's bundled, you get the USB extension cord, not the 201S. Hopefully it does, but if it doesn't there's always eBay. I'll link you to a sale:

NEW Pioneer AVH-P8400BH CD-IU201S CDIU201S USB Adapter Cable for iPod iPhone | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Pioneer-AVH-P8400BH-CD-IU201S-CDIU201S-USB-Adapter-Cable-for-iPod-iPhone-/400314830269?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d349f8dbd)

Same seller I bought mine from. Item was shipped within 12 hours and received in less than a week and a half. From China? That's impressive.

rfmayhem
10-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Send me link for the bypass too plz ?
Do you have rear monitors

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Don't have rear monitors. Son is only 4 years old right now so I don't really need rear seat entertainment right now.

For the bypass, you have two options. You can get a PAC TR7 which is programmable or a MicroBypass which comes pre-programmed and is considerably smaller. Space being a concern, I went with the MicroBypass. Here's an Amazon link to the MicroBypass (TR7 is not being shipped right now due to quality control concerns):

Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH Better then PAC TR7 : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QE03IM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00)

The only thing that could mess up the MicroBypass would be a software update for the HU so if that's a concern, just don't update the HU.

KINGDELL91
10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I love this unit!!!

pickup1
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
i want one too since it will run 2 ipods at once!

i like the micro bypass,but i got a 4300dvd and only use a 2 dollar switch,is everyone else too lazy to flip it?

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
That is definitely a huge bonus. Like I said I've got my iPhone which I can load daily with new stuff and I've got my iPod touch which is loaded with all my "make your jaw drop" material as a permanent fixture in my glove box.

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
As for the switch? PB bypassing is flat out illegal here in Cali so I wanted something as discreet as possible. Cops here know what they're looking for and I don't need that kind of stress.

On another note, I'm uploading some more photos very soon!

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
As promised, here's a few:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zVc7X1cAbUU/UHGtijleYnI/AAAAAAAAGN4/eCQBwUaO3eE/s1095/IMG_0307%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-zP2hISCZEvo/UHGto822fwI/AAAAAAAAGOA/Qf40fGS6dnA/s1095/IMG_0322%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-63h71PNuOc4/UHGtwzZDs_I/AAAAAAAAGOI/_RW2XMKdb4c/s1095/IMG_0321%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pjGjp61r0Mc/UHGt0UQU9tI/AAAAAAAAGOQ/66thE5ph2Kk/s1095/IMG_0320%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PStc5-G5rdY/UHGuAataURI/AAAAAAAAGOk/51mj-Q5bXu8/s1095/IMG_0308%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nyFENpfum_Y/UHGuEJKk34I/AAAAAAAAGOs/wykumui4j_s/s1095/IMG_0309%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jW4kmjR2GIM/UHGuH9DmL2I/AAAAAAAAGO0/vdd6L0S_jLA/s1095/IMG_0310%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g8DKcB_PVrg/UHGuMtd4OJI/AAAAAAAAGO8/0RGuGfar9X4/s1095/IMG_0311%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VnQ30gHxVI8/UHGuQrgKxZI/AAAAAAAAGPE/eYorShHXM14/s1095/IMG_0312%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ydNpzDXCqCw/UHGuUqEkZ_I/AAAAAAAAGPM/wCyx6KJeNsE/s1095/IMG_0313%5B1%5D.JPG

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1tqtCfAdSRo/UHGuYSdLDtI/AAAAAAAAGPU/G7Btn_O5WP8/s1095/IMG_0314%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SWh-rIaf40Y/UHGucR6X2jI/AAAAAAAAGPc/EXGAs3iGJ6I/s1095/IMG_0315%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-exD591PlVnc/UHGug83P8ZI/AAAAAAAAGPk/vEUlFHkYwsM/s1095/IMG_0316%5B1%5D.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FTF4OmvZ5cY/UHGwgcQkH8I/AAAAAAAAGTg/2RrpJ7itZ90/s1095/IMG_0317.JPG

Here you can see the eject screen. Options are as follows:
1. Eject and insert a CD
2. Eject and insert a SD card
3. Remove faceplate
4. Tilt screen flush to dash (there's about five settings total here for adjusting viewing angle)
5. Tilt screen to face upwards (also about five settings...good for blocking out glare from sunlight)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZTVzdxj0NRI/UHGwgZoWADI/AAAAAAAAGTc/2KGMbcY3wEs/s1095/IMG_0319.JPG

Here's a view of behind the faceplate. You can insert a CD (top), SD card (middle), or the EQ microphone (bottom left). I like that all the supported features mumbo jumbo is behind the faceplate. I don't need the whole world to know I have a Dolby Digital capable deck.

KINGDELL91
10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
i want one too since it will run 2 ipods at once!

i like the micro bypass,but i got a 4300dvd and only use a 2 dollar switch,is everyone else too lazy to flip it?
No but from my understanding with the way this unit is made you would have to hit that switch twice rather then the convenience of just changing the source and playing.

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
That's right. You'd have to rock the switch a total of 3 times for simulating PB On, Off, then On again. Which is why the TR7/MicroBypass is really handy. To me, it was worth the 20 bucks just for peace of mind. the 4300 and under are a little cheaper considering they don't need more extensive programming with time delays for each signal.

KINGDELL91
10-07-2012, 02:02 PM
That's right. You'd have to rock the switch a total of 3 times for simulating PB On, Off, then On again. Which is why the TR7/MicroBypass is really handy. To me, it was worth the 20 bucks just for peace of mind. the 4300 and under are a little cheaper considering they don't need more extensive programming with time delays for each signal.
Yeah what he said^^^^^.

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah what he said^^^^^.

Lol sorry for the quasi-engineer speak. I work with electronics all day so it's hard to remember not everyone is in the same line of work.

When I talk about time delays, the HU has to see a small gap in time between ON/OFF/ON and it's normally in the milliseconds. The MB and TR7 simulate these time delays along with the ON/OFF/ON states. For most units, a relay is enough for doing this since most units don't require a time delay. Older units you can even put the PB wire on chassis ground. But Pioneer caught on and programmed the HU to require those gaps between commands which is why we need something a little more advanced. Or a switch if you feel like toggling yourself. It's actually the most futureproof way, just an added hassle which I didn't want.

KINGDELL91
10-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Lol sorry for the quasi-engineer speak. I work with electronics all day so it's hard to remember not everyone is in the same line of work.

When I talk about time delays, the HU has to see a small gap in time between ON/OFF/ON and it's normally in the milliseconds. The MB and TR7 simulate these time delays along with the ON/OFF/ON states. For most units, a relay is enough for doing this since most units don't require a time delay. Older units you can even put the PB wire on chassis ground. But Pioneer caught on and programmed the HU to require those gaps between commands which is why we need something a little more advanced. Or a switch if you feel like toggling yourself. It's actually the most futureproof way, just an added hassle which I didn't want.

Oh i already know. thats why i had to buy the MB twice i had one from a previous unit and the first time it worked after that it was like the MB was not there. Then a lil while later MB came out with the new one with the double pulse, which mad me happy :)

neo_styles
10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes, thank you MB...love how it's so tiny I can just zip-tie it to my wiring bundle. Having that CANBUS interface behind the HU doesn't leave much for extra space so everything I can do to size down helps.

neo_styles
10-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Discovered something pretty nifty about the Auto EQ today...

I originally thought that when you applied the Auto EQ it only gave you one curve. What it actually does is remap the EQ curve for all the presets according to your car's environment. I was wondering where all the bass was in a lot of my trance and electronic songs went until I enabled the other curves and BOOM...big difference. Even shifting from Vocal (which it seemed to default to) to Flat was a tremendous improvement.

Still stress-testing this thing. Haven't seen the lag issues others have been having and navigation between AAM and standard iPod mode is pretty seamless.

Still haven't tested Netflix (sorry). I need to get on that.

rfmayhem
10-17-2012, 03:18 AM
How do I run YouTube on unit am runing iOS 6

neo_styles
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
iOS6 is incompatible with AppRadio extentions right now. Please refer to the avic411 forum for all updates on his software. If you'd like to see what's compatible with your phone, just download the AppRadio app and it will show you what's available.

rfmayhem
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
iOS6 is incompatible with AppRadio extentions right now. Please refer to the avic411 forum for all updates on his software. If you'd like to see what's compatible with your phone, just download the AppRadio app and it will show you what's available.
They took away YouTube on ios6 it's not compatible with app radio Netflix and pandora work

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 12:16 AM
They took away YouTube on ios6 it's not compatible with app radio Netflix and pandora work

My point is even if you jailbreak your phone on iOS6, you'll still be limited to the apps supported by the official AppRadio app. I'd recommend downgrading back to iOS5 if possible or you'll be severely limited by the AAM feature of this HU.

rfmayhem
10-19-2012, 07:29 PM
My point is even if you jailbreak your phone on iOS6, you'll still be limited to the apps supported by the official AppRadio app. I'd recommend downgrading back to iOS5 if possible or you'll be severely limited by the AAM feature of this HU.
whats the benefits/goodies do i get if i run IOS 5 because rite now am not liking my phone and radio cant get either to do what i want, my main propose of getting this radio was for the google maps for the navigation that don't work on IOS 6 call pioneer they said they trying to get a fix :{, netflix work on the HU but don't work in the rear monitors so i brought a rear monitor for nothing on less some one know a way to get around it?i can say the radio is a cool unit but be awesome HU if i can get it to work my way

rfmayhem
10-19-2012, 07:39 PM
can't figure out how to center my waze need help?

neo_styles
10-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks to me like a compatibility issue. You'll have to wait until Pioneer releases a software update. Also check your App Store and see if there's an update for AppRadio that might include a fix.

The real perk to iOS5 is better compatibility and the use of AppRadio extensions. Not to mention the native Maps app isn't completely effed like it is on iOS6. Teaches you not to be on the upgrade bandwagon looking at what they did to iOS6.

Remember that Advanced App Mode is a relatively new feature and the Video Out is intended for DVD viewing. I recommend in the future that you read the manual for a product before you buy to check for compatibility. Not trying to excuse the lack of this feature, but as with all products, there's a certain degree of buyer beware.

Livefast4me
10-21-2012, 04:30 AM
I just read this entire thread and you had me sold.... Until the last page that is. I too upgraded to ios6. Should I not get this HU now? What exactly will I miss out on by having ios6?
Thanks

rfmayhem
10-21-2012, 05:48 AM
I just read this entire thread and you had me sold.... Until the last page that is. I too upgraded to ios6. Should I not get this HU now? What exactly will I miss out on by having ios6?
Thanks
To me honest the only think u will miss is YouTube everything I used still work like pandora, Netflix Bluetooth audio/phone call

neo_styles
10-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks

Unfortunately iOS6 will limit you on some capabilities on this hu. I look at Pioneer's site for any answers to your question but all I could really find was what is and isn't compatible with the new iPhone. You will lose video out and that's just the draw with their new lightning connector. No word on if they plan to fix this with a new cable either...

On a different note, I went in and tweaked the eq using one of the rta apps on my phone and the difference is quite impressive. I realized that the auto eq makes more boosts than cuts which resulted in some pretty sharp response for my tweets. Now that my eq is all cuts, it looks much better on the rta with the exception of response at 4KHz. Since the eq jumps straight from 2 to 8k, there's no correcting for that. Still very happy with the way things are working out otherwise. Would still definitely recommend this HU.

butterMilk
11-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I was just wondering, if I put a movie on a iPod and tried to play it on this HU, would it work. Or would I have to format it or something?

rfmayhem
11-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I was just wondering, if I put a movie on a iPod and tried to play it on this HU, would it work. Or would I have to format it or something?

Yes it will work of the iPod

butterMilk
11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks!

So if I had a external hard drive, hooked up to the usb connection. If I tried to play a movie off that it wouldn't work right? Would needed to be formatted to a type of movie that the HU would play?

rfmayhem
11-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks!

So if I had a external hard drive, hooked up to the usb connection. If I tried to play a movie off that it wouldn't work right? Would needed to be formatted to a type of movie that the HU would play?

it will have to be converterd to divix and i believe the harddrive will have to be the same speed as a usb

calebkhill
12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Awesome HU. by far.

calebkhill
02-01-2013, 02:54 AM
The unit clips at volume 37. Tested with 50hz and 1000hz 0db tones with oscope today. Used sd card, sure its the same with all other sources though.

richericks
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
The unit clips at volume 37. Tested with 50hz and 1000hz 0db tones with oscope today. Used sd card, sure its the same with all other sources though.

Interesting. Using a 0db 1khz sine wave on CD mine didn't clip at all. 50hz clipped at 39. Great HU!

mylows10
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
prolly was a bad recorded test tone on the sd card making the deck clip

calebkhill
02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Interesting. Using a 0db 1khz sine wave on CD mine didn't clip at all. 50hz clipped at 39. Great HU!

Clearly heard my speakers distort horribly at 38. . think 50hz clipped at 39. This concerns me.

I clipped at 38 not 37 sorry about that

neo_styles
02-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Just wanted to pop my head in here and let you know I haven't abandoned the thread quite yet, but I am test-driving the Eclipse CD7200mkii for a few months. It'll be interesting coming back to the 8400 as far as the interface is concerned, but on the SQ end, they're in totally different ballparks. So if someone wants to take the reigns on this one for a while (cough calebkhill ; cough), be my guest.

calebkhill
02-02-2013, 03:04 AM
but on the SQ end, they're in totally different ballparks.

Really, how so?

neo_styles
02-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Really, how so?

For starters, the Eclipse has TA, 8-band PEQ with adjustable Q, and 8V preouts. Aside from that, the whole unit just has this feel to it that reminds me more of listening to vinyl at home. It's not as digital and all-forward like the 8400.

The 8400 does have, to its credit, a MUCH easier user interface. Just wish the SQ was on par with it. If pioneer could somehow manage to use the double din interface of the 8400 with the SQ awesomeness of this Eclipse or even the Pio P99RS, they'd have an absolute gold mine on their hands.

calebkhill
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
For starters, the Eclipse has TA, 8-band PEQ with adjustable Q, and 8V preouts. Aside from that, the whole unit just has this feel to it that reminds me more of listening to vinyl at home. It's not as digital and all-forward like the 8400.

The 8400 does have, to its credit, a MUCH easier user interface. Just wish the SQ was on par with it. If pioneer could somehow manage to use the double din interface of the 8400 with the SQ awesomeness of this Eclipse or even the Pio P99RS, they'd have an absolute gold mine on their hands.

Explain what PEQ and adjustable q are, I've been looking can't find an answer.

And I couldn't take this thread over I'm still learning myself.

richericks
02-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Explain what PEQ and adjustable q are, I've been looking can't find an answer.

And I couldn't take this thread over I'm still learning myself.

Take a look at this tutorial from JL. They only focus on one frequency range, but it could be applied to any others offered in the EQ set.

JL PEQ (http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Parametric+Equalizer/Tutorial%3A+Parametric+Equalizer/287545)

http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Parametric+Equalizer/Tutorial%3A+Parametric+Equalizer/287545

calebkhill
02-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Take a look at this tutorial from JL. They only focus on one frequency range, but it could be applied to any others offered in the EQ set.

JL PEQ (http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Parametric+Equalizer/Tutorial%3A+Parametric+Equalizer/287545)

JL Audio header Support Tutorials Tutorial: Parametric Equalizer (http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Parametric+Equalizer/Tutorial%3A+Parametric+Equalizer/287545)

Nice man.I'll download the pdf and get more familiar.in the meantime, neo_styles; or richericks; if your up for it could you post a few pics or maybe a couple links to your or other units showing the the way the application is displayed on the unit?

I can see how this feature puts it ahead of the 8400 in tuning and sq.

neo_styles
02-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah, PEQ takes some getting used to. I'm not home right now so I really can't get you pictures, but here's my definition in a nutshell:

Where graphic EQ lets you make adjustments in level at a specific frequency, a PEQ (parametric) will allow you to change multiple frequencies within a particular band. The q is that bad that you pick. So if there's a whole region (say from 1k-2k) that needs to be cut, you can do so with one setting.

Here's a good link on learning how to use PEQ:

DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - How to use a PEQ effectively? (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/327190-post7.html)

calebkhill
02-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah, PEQ takes some getting used to. I'm not home right now so I really can't get you pictures, but here's my definition in a nutshell:

Where graphic EQ lets you make adjustments in level at a specific frequency, a PEQ (parametric) will allow you to change multiple frequencies within a particular band. The q is that bad that you pick. So if there's a whole region (say from 1k-2k) that needs to be cut, you can do so with one setting.

Here's a good link on learning how to use PEQ:

DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - How to use a PEQ effectively? (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/327190-post7.html)

I get the gist I'm gonna read up some.I'm interested my self. I just want to deer how it looks on the hu. I'll try and google stone pics but posting some shots would save an hour long search Lol. You know how google could be sometimes

The_Grimy_One
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Some great specs for a DD! Nice!

neo_styles
02-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Some great specs for a DD! Nice!

Whose specs? I'd say yours are pretty impressive if I don't say so myself (looking at your sig).

neo_styles
02-03-2013, 12:09 AM
http://www.audio-production-tips.com/image-files/rockkick.jpg

Here's an example of an eq curve with PEQ applied. You can see where the person adjusting has applied certain Qs. Some overlap, some are allowed to roll off.

calebkhill
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
http://www.audio-production-tips.com/image-files/rockkick.jpg

Here's an example of an eq curve with PEQ applied. You can see where the person adjusting has applied certain Qs. Some overlap, some are allowed to roll off.

That's the key. Is the eclipse your testing a double din

neo_styles
02-03-2013, 12:38 AM
That's the key. Is the eclipse your testing a double din

Sadly, no. Single DIN. Like I said earlier, I really am missing the ease of use of my 8400, but it's going to be really odd going back to a system with no TA. If I can keep call enough, I'll skip past the MS8 and snatch up a PS8 by the end of the year for my in-the-future Tahoe build.

calebkhill
02-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Sadly, no. Single DIN. Like I said earlier, I really am missing the ease of use of my 8400, but it's going to be really odd going back to a system with no TA. If I can keep call enough, I'll skip past the MS8 and snatch up a PS8 by the end of the year for my in-the-future Tahoe build.

I hear you. Have you noticed a difference in you r sq between the two units

calebkhill
02-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Just read here

Benefits of high voltage pre-amp outputs. - DIYMA Car Audio Forum (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/117491-benefits-high-voltage-pre-amp-outputs.html)

That higher RCA output voltage probably doesn't reduce noise all that much. probably to a degree but not too much to be concerned with. What do you think about that...

bumpasauras
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Hey Neo how much is this unit selling for

neo_styles
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
GIYF

I got mine open box for like 550 back in October. Don't know if they've changed pricing on it since the new line came up. Sonic and Crutchfield both have it.

neo_styles
02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Just read here

Benefits of high voltage pre-amp outputs. - DIYMA Car Audio Forum (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/117491-benefits-high-voltage-pre-amp-outputs.html)

That higher RCA output voltage probably doesn't reduce noise all that much. probably to a degree but not too much to be concerned with. What do you think about that...

Higher RCA voltage means your amps will be doing less work amplifying the signal. That's why it's always a smart idea to readjust your gains when you replace a HU. Honestly, 4V or higher is where you want to be looking. The Eclipse I'm using right now has 8Vs and I reach my desired power at 1/3 gain (120W to the speakers, 200W to the sub)

calebkhill
02-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Higher RCA voltage means your amps will be doing less work amplifying the signal. That's why it's always a smart idea to readjust your gains when you replace a HU. Honestly, 4V or higher is where you want to be looking. The Eclipse I'm using right now has 8Vs and I reach my desired power at 1/3 gain (120W to the speakers, 200W to the sub)

Are you running the full 120 to those ms62's?

neo_styles
02-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Are you running the full 120 to those ms62's?

On a test tone, sure. But on music, it probably only ever gets up to 100 continuously and, on some electronic tracks, I could see it extending up to 120. Thing is they've gotten considerably more than that in the past without an issue, but I'd prefer to let them live longer which is why I dialed them back down.

serenity81
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Sorry if this is not the correct thread, but I need some help with myheadunit, here is my problem:

I have the AVH-8450BT I updated firmware and bluetooth version for it to work with iPhone 5. I bought and connected the new iPhone 5 interface cable and lightning to vga cable and lightning to usb cable. Appradio mode is working. Now the problem is the bluetooth phone call quality is really bad and voice of the person talking with me keeps breaking up, although they can hear me with no problems. The weird thing is when i first pair the phone and radio together the sound quality is very good but when i turn the ignition key off and then on the radio turns on as usual but bluetooth quality suffers again. To make it work i have to disable then renable bluetooth on my phone then it works for this session until next restart. I also notice bluetooth song streaming also suffers a bit so does appradio mode reaction times, buts its not as bad or unusable like when placing calls. Can you please help me fix it.

Thanks in advance.

andyinter100
06-06-2014, 12:28 AM
i'm having trouble with my radio, iv installed my subs and amp and everything, but my radio isn't giving an rca output, i plugged my friends rca from his radio to my car and my subs worked, is there something I'm not turning on in the hu itself? i sound like a dummy
PLEASE HELP IM GOING CRZY

calebkhill
06-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Should be an option to turn subwoofer on