PDA

View Full Version : First car, need good sound. Any advice?

PromOPMYE
10-04-2012, 06:56 AM
I am getting my first car this weekend, and have some left over money to put some audio in it. I dont want nothing big, just some new speakers that have a good deep sound, with good quality. My friends have given me some help, and this is what I have come down too.

Its an 02 Grand Am. Back speakers are 6x9 and the front are 4x6. Right now I just want some rear tweeters and a head unit.

These are what I am looking at for the speakers, Kenwood KFC-6984PS

and need advice on a head unit. I have around $150. Any advice will help. THANK YOU!

matt_bennett05
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
@ $150 you can find a fairly good headunit you should be happy with. Your best bet would be to somehow get a good 6.5" comp set in the fronts and a pair of midbass (and tweets if you like bright highs) on a good 4 channel amp to be truly happy IMO. Unless you buy used you probably should save just a little more and try to do it right the first time. If you blow the money from the get-go on what is right in front of you without finding out what you really think WILL satisfy you, you can end up spending much more in the long run than just getting what you should have in the first place.

Also, I have yet to be any kind of impressed by Kenwood speakers, subs, or amps... Just my .02 though and I'm 1 of 1000's here @ this site.

PromOPMYE
10-04-2012, 07:11 AM
ok. What would you suggest? For right now I can really only afford some rear speakers and a head unit. Like i said I dont want some crazy sound machine riding through town, I just want something better then stock with a good quality

Bettr n' Revrse
10-04-2012, 07:16 AM
ok. What would you suggest? For right now I can really only afford some rear speakers and a head unit. Like i said I dont want some crazy sound machine riding through town, I just want something better then stock with a good quality

Dont waste money one rear speakers... Just get a decent deck with 3 sets of RCA preouts and a set of components for the front

gckless
10-04-2012, 07:18 AM
I would suggest saving your money for now and reading around this site. You will get a feel for what people generally recommend, and will be able to afford better equipment later. I know you want things now, but it will pay off in the end. Browse this forum, and start up another thread in a month or so. For the most part, I think you'll be happier, especially if you are doing the install yourself.

PromOPMYE
10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
The plan is to build up the audio as time goes on, so its better to get some front components before any rear?? What would you recommend

Bettr n' Revrse
10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
The plan is to build up the audio as time goes on, so its better to get some front components before any rear?? What would you recommend

Most guys on here dont even run rear speakers...

matt_bennett05
10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
I've always run rears.... guess I'm doing it wrong.

PromOPMYE
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Prlly going to get these 6x9 kenworths and then look for some 4x6 components for the front.

Why So Cereal?
10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Don't buy anything yet, no need to rush u don't even have the car yet.

What are u paying for the Kenwoods? There might be better options.

Is that $150 just for the HU?

PromOPMYE
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I have the car now, my budget for the whole system is around 150-200. The 6x9 for the kenwoods would be around $65-75, and the 4x6 would be $50

Kevinn
10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Don't waist your money on rear speakers right now.

If your going to slowly do it start off with a GOOD headunit. Don't buy cheap, you get what you pay for in the audio world.

You would be amazed how much just a good headunit will change your system. Spend that 150-200 on a headunit. Trust me.

Now, it comes down to if your going to eventually amp these speakers or not.

For the front speakers, depending on if you want to buy rings so you can run 5" or bigger speakers, get some Boston Acoustics. They sound great not amped.
Now, if your going to amp them eventually you can use the Boston's, but I would recommend something that uses more power.

Boston Acoustics 746 (ba746) 4" x 6" 2-way Plate Speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2874_Boston-Acoustics-746.html) - Had these in my camaro, and they sound great, PLUS they are stock size. No cutting, no adding rings, nothing. They are small, but they put out the sound you'll want.

For the rears I would suggest some 6.5's with rings. To me, 6.5's just sound much much better than 6x9's.

Make sure if your going to use 4x6 speakers for the front, whether or not you buy the Boston's I suggested, get a component speaker. They sound better than coaxles.

Again, this is just my 02 cents.

message me if you need any advice whatsoever. I'm all for budget systems, but keep in mind you always get what you pay for. Unless its used, or on sale. Then your just awesome because discounts are always nice.[COLOR="Silver"]