PDA

View Full Version : 2 way active vs 3 way active?

rebelfromva
09-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Which of these setups do you think would be best for my small car and keep up with the sub stage.
Obviously 3 way would be the best but I'm not to positive I have a room to run a 8" in the door.

Setups:
2 aq st1 per pillar
3 aq mr 6.5 per door

or

2 aq st1 per
2 aq mr per
1 8" mid woofer(undecided on which one right now)

Julian
09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
2 way, much easier to fiddle with and get right..

9/10 an active setup will sound worse than a comparable component set, it'll take time to get it to your likings. I spent 4 days tuning to get mine right

pickup1
09-29-2012, 11:33 PM
yea,but he's talking mutiple drivers in each door/pillar too.
either way,the door will be all custom,just build it out alittle.i put a dynaudio 8.75 "midbass in my door and it was only 2 1/2" deep.
running 1 15?
1 tweeter,2 mids or even 1,.....and 1-2 midbass per side would keep up,granted you would need a big 4 ch amp.
dont think a 2 way would keep up with 3500 to the sub.
have you thought of a mids/highs amp yet?

Why So Cereal?
09-29-2012, 11:34 PM

9/10 an active setup will sound worse than a comparable component set, it'll take time to get it to your likings. I spent 4 days tuning to get mine right

This

pickup1
09-29-2012, 11:46 PM
get ya a nice 3 way xover ,will be easier to tune with,,,look at the one on the bottom.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-classifieds-old-replies-only/438792-arc-audio-idx-xeq-combo.html
http://handcraftedcaraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/P9030133.jpg?ba4058

rebelfromva
09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Thinking a c1100.4 if the 2 way setup

TaylorFade
09-30-2012, 05:53 AM

While I agree with the first part, I have to disagree with the other statement.

If you have half a brain (and independant control of the drivers) active will crush a comparable comp set. I've heard that active vs. passive argument about a thousand times. It's just repeated any time someone asks about going active. And it's B.S. How long does it take to set a 12db slope at 4khz? About 2 f'n minutes? Well, that's all your stupid passive crosses are doing. And now... now you get to fiddle with it from there to get it to sound better or more to your liking. Get too far off track? 4khz@12db. Bingo. Right back where you started.

It ain't rocket surgery.

DDtC
09-30-2012, 06:37 AM
If I got 8s in my doors you can.

rebelfromva
09-30-2012, 07:11 AM
If I got 8s in my doors you can.

I'll show you what I'm talking about today.

rebelfromva
09-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Seen a few setups I liked today. One really in particular. Guy was running 3 cresencdo old model 8's and 1 tweet in the door. It was pretty loud. How do the old model crescendo 8's compare to the new model or any other 8

rebelfromva
09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
that would be the mp8 vs the pwx8

zako
10-01-2012, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't worry about the "complexity" of the install if I had a self tuning active 3-way capable processor like JBL MS-8. Good strong, up front midbass is something that's not easy to get out of a 2-way speaker setup. 3-way setup with 8 inch midbass could take care of this. In a typical 2-way setup, the mid-range spectrum is split between woofer and tweeter, which means more tuning to get good imaging. In a 3-way setup, the dedicated midrange woofer can act as a point source driver for the entire midrange without problems like beaming, if you use properly sized midrange.

Fi-brations
10-01-2012, 07:03 AM

If you have half a brain (and independant control of the drivers) active will crush a comparable comp set. I've heard that active vs. passive argument about a thousand times. It's just repeated any time someone asks about going active. And it's B.S. How long does it take to set a 12db slope at 4khz? About 2 f'n minutes? Well, that's all your stupid passive crosses are doing. And now... now you get to fiddle with it from there to get it to sound better or more to your liking. Get too far off track? 4khz@12db. Bingo. Right back where you started.

It ain't rocket surgery.

thanks for the new sig ;)

mlstrass
10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
what is your substage?

The MP's have a fair amount of midbass, pwx's seem a tad louder.

My son's CRV has 2 AQ 6.5's and 1 AQ supertweeter per door. Runs a single HDC4 18 off 2 2200's, did a 51.1 on the dash/door open. His mids EASILY keep up with that substage.

rebelfromva
10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
what is your substage?

The MP's have a fair amount of midbass, pwx's seem a tad louder.

My son's CRV has 2 AQ 6.5's and 1 AQ supertweeter per door. Runs a single HDC4 18 off 2 2200's, did a 51.1 on the dash/door open. His mids EASILY keep up with that substage.

Once installed, will be a aq3500 on a zv3 15. May go with 2 z 12s if the 15 doesn't hold up.

av83
10-01-2012, 01:57 PM

It ain't rocket surgery.

the hardest part is running a couple of wires through the silicone boots in between the door and body. and even that is easy if you know how to do it... just fold one piece of wire (that's 2x's the length you need) in half, and slip the folded end through the boot, wiggle it in past the other wires, and pull it through. Cut the fold and you have two wires that are long enough to run to your amp.

My first, very simple (Active amp makes it easy:)), active setup sounds infinitely better than it did passive.

mlstrass
10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Once installed, will be a aq3500 on a zv3 15. May go with 2 z 12s if the 15 doesn't hold up.

Mid to uppper 40's then, so I'd go with 2 6.5's/single tweeter per side. Otherwise you risk overpowering your substage. the louder your mids/highs sound the quieter your subs will sound.

rebelfromva
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Mid to uppper 40's then, so I'd go with 2 6.5's/single tweeter per side. Otherwise you risk overpowering your substage. the louder your mids/highs sound the quieter your subs will sound.

My thing is I don't want to have it glassed now and not be enough in future

mlstrass
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
My thing is I don't want to have it glassed now and not be enough in future

What is the future, a wall? Otherwise that will keep up with any trunk set up. Or if you do more mids/tweets just dial them back for now or run them off less power.

My Pio HU lets you adjust level for mids/tweets so that helps a lot, but not many do that.