PDA

View Full Version : Components to replace Infinity Kappa 60.9 cs

scatterbrain
09-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi,
I want to replace my kappas as the woofer doesn't handle bass too well and the tweeters are too sharp. I'm considering the Image Dynamics CTX65CS and have read good reviews about it. Is it better than the Kappa. Another option is the Infinity perfects 61. Which is the best component set under $200? I'm looking for high power handling, good mid bass and soft and natural highs.

Below20hzonly
09-28-2012, 10:15 AM
the ctx's will be alot smoother on the highs for sure and are probably an all around better component set. Ive had the kappas before, the midbass wasnt too bad, where to you have them mounted? in the door?

Why So Cereal?
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Under 200 I can't find a better set than CTXs

Infinitys should be heard before buying. They are a hate it or love it type speaker, that being said since u said they were sharp, look into a smoother tweet like the IDs

trumpet
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Check out the CDT Audio CL-61 (http://cdtstore.com/cl_series/cl61.htm) set. I can give you a good price on that, and a number of people love their CDT CL 6.5" components on here. They handle a lot of power and sound very realistic.

scatterbrain
09-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the replies.
The kappa woofers are in the doors and tweets on the dash, near the windshield (Mitsubishi galant GTS 2008, stock location) There was a jarring sound from the doors, when i opened it up and deadened it i noticed the jarring was from the speaker. Very disappointing. The CDT ones have good reviews but the IDs have better ones. Is there anything else out there? What about running active? Are there any drivers I should consider?

zako
09-28-2012, 06:07 PM
You can try the new JBL MS-series speakers as they seem to have pretty good reviews. Also, for slightly higher price, consider JL Audio C3 or C5.

Why So Cereal?
09-28-2012, 06:14 PM
If you wanna go active, look into silver flute mids or Dayton audio mids with seas Neo tweeters

scatterbrain
09-29-2012, 01:59 AM
If you wanna go active, look into silver flute mids or Dayton audio mids with seas Neo tweeters

Thank you. Any particular models? Where can i buy these? I live in Kuwait and usually shop on amazon.

Why So Cereal?
09-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Thank you. Any particular models? Where can i buy these? I live in Kuwait and usually shop on amazon.

If I remember correctly, Dayton can be found on Amazon...I'm not sure about the other stuff.

But, as far as Dayton goes, I'd look into the Designer and Reference Series.

scatterbrain
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Im having a really hard time choosing between the ID CTX65CS and the JBL MS62C. Both have excellent reviews.
Can someone who has heard both comment on
1. Which has better midbass.
2. Which has better highs
3. Which handle more power and get louder.

cdc351jeferson
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
interesting thread im tuned in i just installed the kappas and havent noticed to bad of sound altho im not using for to much midbass just need them louder than 2 dc xl on a aq 3500.1

Why So Cereal?
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Im having a really hard time choosing between the ID CTX65CS and the JBL MS62C. Both have excellent reviews.
Can someone who has heard both comment on
1. Which has better midbass.
2. Which has better highs
3. Which handle more power and get louder.

Pick the one u think looks best, u likely won't be disappointed either way.

zako
10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Any ideas how high is the JBL MS series crossover between tweeter and woofer? If MS-series use 3KHz or higher crossover, I'd pick them. The CTX crossover is supposedly at around 2KHz, and while I haven't heard these speakers, I personally don't like the idea of having a small tweeter play so deep into mid range. Most tweeters distort and sound harsh at such frequencies, at least at high volume. There is also the issue of midrange being split between speakers that are installed too far apart from each other.

scatterbrain
10-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I know this is a very dumb question but does anyone know a place in New York where i could listen to these two components. I live in kuwait but will visit the U.S. furing the first week of november.

akheathen
10-06-2012, 06:25 AM
i placed the jbl gto's against the infinity reference. they are made by the same company. the harshness of the tweeters was minimal at my listening levels/taste. out of the box, the gto's will blend real well in comparison. the bass on the infinities is a tad more robust. i can only say that the perfects are on my wishlist. i just can't bring myself to pay much for mids.... well save for occasions, like tax return time, lol. i wouldn't mind picking up your kappas to hear.