PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega Home to Car Hookup

ctmeans
09-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Setup:
Alpine HU
Polk db651 x 4
Rockford Fosgate Prime R600-5

Purpose: Nice clean sound, not planning on bumping down the road turning heads, just want to fill in the lows the polk don't handle. Listen to rock, hip hop, and mixes.

At 4 ohms it puts out 50RMS x 4 channels.

Now I need a new sub and budget is tight. I have a noob question. I have a cerwin vega SW-12B home sub. It is a 12" down firing sub with a passive crossover in a large ported box. Weighs 50 lbs. The specs on the sub: 8 ohm duel coils handling 125RMS each. Again think tight budget and this one works and is paid for. Old, but paid for.

Can I remove the sub from the box and hook up the coils in parallel to bring the sub down to 4 ohms and hook to the 5th channel on the amp. It is rated at 200RMS at 4ohms and 300RMS at 2 ohms. I couldn't get to 2 ohms unless I had another identical sub, and I'm not sure it could handle that.

If that is possible could I make a smaller box (I can't physically get it into my car's small trunk) and if so would a ported or sealed enclosure be better? Any design ideas?

Would it just be better to save up and get a 2ohm stable sub and go that way?

Critique away!!!!

quackhead
09-28-2012, 09:47 AM
400W Boston Acoustics 12" G112PS GTuned Series Loaded Enclosure (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36442_Boston-Acoustics-G112PS.html)

ctmeans
10-01-2012, 08:46 AM
quackhead,

So I guess you are saying don't bother with the vega and just buy the deal. Is it because it won't work, or just not a good idea?

It does sound like a good deal. Is that boston acoustics sub good quality? Don't know much about them.

quackhead
10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
They sound real good on low power like you have and fill the bottom end real nicely....not to mention it is about the best deal you are gonna find new for decent SQ in a sub/box combo. I am not knocking the Vega, but by the time you bought materials and built a good ported box for that old sub....well, you see what I am getting at. I would keep the Vega in the house where it belongs.

jteske88
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I actually did this with my e-712's once. Sounded good. But I had a sw-12 and I'm pretty sure it was 4 ohm on single coil.

av83
10-01-2012, 10:39 AM
If you have the wood, glue, wire, and caulk around to do it, and you have the time, then I say go for it. The sub sounds like a good match for the amp. Just tune your enclosure low.

That Boston does look like a good deal though.