View Full Version : Where do you mount your xovers?

09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
If your running passive xovers for your comps? I usually mount them in the doors, behind the mid bass, but a friend fried a xover from water getting inside the door and shorting it. So I want to move it. However my issue is the tweet is in the A piller with the wire already through the door to the mid bass speaker so it was easier to mount xovers.

09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Glove box.. or by the amp.. You have access to them then...

09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Years ago I heard they needed to be as close as possible to the speakers, not true?

09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Years ago I heard they needed to be as close as possible to the speakers, not true?

I've only ran them once, when I did I had them in the door sleeve.. When I get my CDT HD6.1's in I will run them in the glove box.. I've seen a lot of sq cars with them mounted by the amp on racks and in the glove box.. You could always mount them under the dash by the door cavity.

09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I have mine tuked up under the dash on both sides

09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Accessible, safe and out of sight.

09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I found a nook under the dp armrests on mine. Clear of water, stays close to the speakers, no drilling of the door shell and only have to run 1 wire though the door grommet.

09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
i mounted mine on the back of my rear seats... right next to the amp

09-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Not true. Mine are on the amp rack, in the trunk. I have put them in doors before but they can and do get wet and corrode. Low power systems you can wrap the crossovers with bubble wrap or a plastic baggie to keep them dry. I wouln't do that with a crossover that gets hot though. Sometimes you can fit them on the back of the inner door panel if you're clever, where they're protected by the door weather seal.

09-21-2012, 03:55 AM
I put mine in the garbage since I run active :crazy:

Usually behind the kick panels or under the carpet up under the dash....

09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
I've always done them on the amp rack too.

09-21-2012, 03:59 AM
I run mine close to my amps. but running the close to the speakers is good and probably better. Consider the power chart vs wire size, I would think the same applies to speakers since tweeters have smaller gauge wires.

09-21-2012, 05:57 AM
I avoid putting mine in the door cavity if i can.
My usual place to install them is inside the car under the dash.
I must admit, i would worry about them getting damp in the door
cavity, as it seems to be raining all the time here in the UK!!