PDA

View Full Version : Where do you mount your xovers?

ace_800
09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
If your running passive xovers for your comps? I usually mount them in the doors, behind the mid bass, but a friend fried a xover from water getting inside the door and shorting it. So I want to move it. However my issue is the tweet is in the A piller with the wire already through the door to the mid bass speaker so it was easier to mount xovers.

cyn
09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Glove box.. or by the amp.. You have access to them then...

ace_800
09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Years ago I heard they needed to be as close as possible to the speakers, not true?

cyn
09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Years ago I heard they needed to be as close as possible to the speakers, not true?

I've only ran them once, when I did I had them in the door sleeve.. When I get my CDT HD6.1's in I will run them in the glove box.. I've seen a lot of sq cars with them mounted by the amp on racks and in the glove box.. You could always mount them under the dash by the door cavity.

bhsdriller
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I have mine tuked up under the dash on both sides

Sonic.
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Accessible, safe and out of sight.

Sleeklsc
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I found a nook under the dp armrests on mine. Clear of water, stays close to the speakers, no drilling of the door shell and only have to run 1 wire though the door grommet.

SplAffair
09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
i mounted mine on the back of my rear seats... right next to the amp

maylar
09-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Not true. Mine are on the amp rack, in the trunk. I have put them in doors before but they can and do get wet and corrode. Low power systems you can wrap the crossovers with bubble wrap or a plastic baggie to keep them dry. I wouln't do that with a crossover that gets hot though. Sometimes you can fit them on the back of the inner door panel if you're clever, where they're protected by the door weather seal.

mlstrass
09-21-2012, 03:55 AM
I put mine in the garbage since I run active :crazy:

Usually behind the kick panels or under the carpet up under the dash....

xShoWTeKx
09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
I've always done them on the amp rack too.

subzero
09-21-2012, 03:59 AM
I run mine close to my amps. but running the close to the speakers is good and probably better. Consider the power chart vs wire size, I would think the same applies to speakers since tweeters have smaller gauge wires.

oakleyguy
09-21-2012, 05:57 AM
I avoid putting mine in the door cavity if i can.
My usual place to install them is inside the car under the dash.
I must admit, i would worry about them getting damp in the door
cavity, as it seems to be raining all the time here in the UK!!