PDA

View Full Version : ordered a new box! is it any good?

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
i have a jl13w7 in a sealed box sounds ok but i want that loud, rumbling, windshield shaking bass. i have a 06 trailblazer and saw this box on ebay for a great price. was wondering if this was a good choice besides building my own or having one built.
JL AUDIO 13" W7 CUSTOM PORTED 1.5" MDF SUB ENCLOSURE SUBWOOFER SPEAKER BOX | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/330783842441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:11 AM
also is there anything that i can do to it to better the sound or integrity.

West
09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Having a custom built box will assuredly be a better option then buying one from a retailer. It is taylored to your vehicle and your expectations (clean sound).
The simple fact that the seller did not mention the tuning frequency on the enclosure is a bit of a red flag.

"The vented port is tuned to a set frequency range so bass notes within that range have much more impact per note increasing the overall BOOM per watt."

I really hate to be that guy... I bought a budget box when I started to.
That box is now a foot stool and will be garbage soon.

I do hope that the box works out for you. You should have a loud SPL output that is what max produced boxes usually have.
Starr mountain sound did a great job on my enclosure, if you decide later on to get a custom one.

av83
09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Why spend all of that money on a woofer, and skimp on what you put it in? No. Have an enclosure designed by one of the pro's on here. You won't regret it.

West
09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Why spend all of that money on a woofer, and skimp on what you put it in? No. Have an enclosure designed by one of the pro's on here. You won't regret it.

I don't see how the seller is marketing ported boxes w/o telling what they are tuned for... especially if they are made for a specific sub.

av83
09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Beat me to it West, lol.

av83
09-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Dammit West, i'm on my cell, quit typing so fast, lol

Edit.. And I agree, they should tell you what its tuned to.

West
09-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Beat me to it West, lol.

By like 1 second yo... I clicked submit and then I saw yours.

I really don't want to be mean to people who ask about enclosures and go with mass produced boxes and tell them why they are not so great.

You cannot have that fine a$$ sound without that fine a$$ bass... plain and simple

West
09-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Dammit West, i'm on my cell, quit typing so fast, lol

Edit.. And I agree, they should tell you what its tuned to.

Its tuned to loud bro...

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:37 AM
i think its tuned to 34.59 hz

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:39 AM
it really is just a temp box. im going to be getting another w7 and another 1000/1 will do custom enclosure and amp rack then. prob fiberglass. just wondering if this will be better for now than the prefab sealed box its in now.

West
09-19-2012, 02:42 AM
it really is just a temp box. im going to be getting another w7 and another 1000/1 will do custom enclosure and amp rack then. prob fiberglass. just wondering if this will be better for now than the prefab sealed box its in now.

It will be louder, it probably won't sound as good...

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:49 AM
It will be here tomorrow. I was thinking it was awful cheap but it's only 70 bucks. If it is not as good as the box it's in .oh well. It does seem like its a good built box but I won't know until it gets here.

av83
09-19-2012, 02:51 AM
It will be louder, it probably won't sound as good...

Dead on correct. The output in a sealed box will be limited, but fairly even. If the Ebay box is tuned to 35, that's not too bad, but will still be much peakier than a sealed enclosure, although it will be much louder than the sealed box in the 40 to 50 hz range.

Villeza1
09-19-2012, 02:53 AM

Buck
pro-rabbit
RAM_Designs
Moble Enclosurs

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Is there anything I can do to make it better? Like I've seen some people put foam or fiberglass the inside to make it more durable. I just don't want it to fall apart on me . Lol. I had a prefab box with 2 15l7s in it blow apart on me.

Villeza1
09-19-2012, 03:07 AM
By like 1 second yo... I clicked submit and then I saw yours.

I really don't want to be mean to people who ask about enclosures and go with mass produced boxes and tell them why they are not so great.

You cannot have that fine *** sound without that fine *** bass... plain and simple

fixed

Dont be scerrd to curse on here bruh Lol

Villeza1
09-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Is there anything I can do to make it better? Like I've seen some people put foam or fiberglass the inside to make it more durable. I just don't want it to fall apart on me . Lol. I had a prefab box with 2 15l7s in it blow apart on me.

Add more wood screws.

I wouldn't fiber glass a sealed enclosure. It may add strength (only if you had layers of resin and fiber glass) but sealed res goes up. I guess you could battle that with inverting the sub and adding polly-fill until sealed res goes down far enough before its starts to rise again, but is just a prefab sealed enclosure...

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 03:16 AM
also jl specs on cu ft for this sub is 2.375 and this box is 3.25. is that going to be a problem? i have heard of people putting subs in boxes twice the recommended air space .

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 03:17 AM
its a ported enclosure

Villeza1
09-19-2012, 03:30 AM

its a ported enclosure

I assumed you were referring to the prefab sealed enclosure you spoke of above...

my mistake.

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 03:32 AM
its in a sealed box now but i just ordered a ported box for it until i get another sub and amp.

Villeza1
09-19-2012, 03:34 AM
its in a sealed box now but i just ordered a ported box for it until i get another sub and amp.

Gotcha, must've missed that post. I scroll fast, Lol.

pro-rabbit
09-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Any cliff notes? Sorry, just woke and didn't read any of the thread yet. LOL

mazdakid
09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
You should have just gotten a better box in the first place if youre going to spend money trying to make the new box better when it comes.

quackhead
09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
the material is good, the fit is good...don't know what glue they used or any of the build techniques that make a custom stand out. I do see a small bead of caulking in there that may last...or may not. I would not have bought that particular box for my JL 13W7.
I would assume it is tuned to JL specs..but who really knows, besides the builder?

quackhead
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
If I were buying one from a retailer, it would have been something like this:
MSW | Car Audio Stereo, Car Subwoofers, Car Amplifiers and Speakers (http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/product_p/jl-audio-13w7-ported-box.htm)

pro-rabbit
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
If I were buying one from a retailer, it would have been something like this:
MSW | Car Audio Stereo, Car Subwoofers, Car Amplifiers and Speakers (http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/product_p/jl-audio-13w7-ported-box.htm)

Perhaps once they learned how to carpet. lol The sub and port end look off/odd in the pics.

I have not tested that particular enclosure, so I don't know much about it other then looks.

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
"You should have just gotten a better box in the first place if youre going to spend money trying to make the new box better when it comes."

I only have 1 sub for right now. The box I'm going to have built for my permenent setup is going to be for 2 subs.

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 01:56 PM
well i got the box, put the sub in it, hooked it up, and all i have to say is my god! its night and day. and the sound quality is really no different. for 70 bucks i am really impressed with the craftsmanship. it seems solid and all of the seems are globbed with sealant. took it for a test drive and i couldn't turn it up and drive at the same time. all of my windows look like rubber. ive had lots of different equipment in the past and for one sub and only 1000 watts nothing even comes close. hopefully it holds up.

so on to my next question:

i have the 1000/1 laying in the back with all the wires hanging out. i want to mount the amp to the box with my distribution blocks and stuff. and manage my wires a little better. would that be ok? or could it cause damage to my amp? i just want it to look clean and not like a mess like it does right now.

eddie_93
09-19-2012, 09:54 PM
well i got the box, put the sub in it, hooked it up, and all i have to say is my god! its night and day. and the sound quality is really no different. for 70 bucks i am really impressed with the craftsmanship. it seems solid and all of the seems are globbed with sealant. took it for a test drive and i couldn't turn it up and drive at the same time. all of my windows look like rubber. ive had lots of different equipment in the past and for one sub and only 1000 watts nothing even comes close. hopefully it holds up.

so on to my next question:

i have the 1000/1 laying in the back with all the wires hanging out. i want to mount the amp to the box with my distribution blocks and stuff. and manage my wires a little better. would that be ok? or could it cause damage to my amp? i just want it to look clean and not like a mess like it does right now.

I wouldn't mount the amp to the box. Vibrations from the box flexing would be bad for it. Easiest way would probably be to screw it to the back of your backseat.

jr_casteel1999
09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
thats what i ended up doing. dident really want to drill holes in the back of the seat but did anyway. it looks great too.