PDA

View Full Version : Lanzar MAX8 8" subwoofer-NICE!

dwcopple
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Lanzar MAX8 8" Subwoofer

I picked this little guy up from Sonic for $31.59 shipped due to price match policy. Amazon had it for $31.99 shipped. I was leaning towards either the JBL GTO804 or the Infiniti 860W at first, but after doing some more reading, this sub has some rave reviews and the $20 cheaper price tag was a bonus too.
I built a ported enclosure out of some 3/4" birch 11-ply to .75cu ft and tuned it to 32Hz with a 2.25" round port. After routing the edges round, a little wood filler, and some sanding it was ready for paint. I rolled a coat of exterior latex in flat grey with a foam roller and let it dry 1.5hrs in the sun. Then I coated it in DupliColor rattle can truck bed liner with some I had left over from a motorcycle project. Turned out good except for the end that was propped through the port to hold it for spraying. Let that dry 3 hrs in the sun and the UPS guy showed up with the Lanzar. After wiring and mounting I tossed it in the trunk of my daily driver work car beater. Set the gain and checked it out on a few tracks that have some good lows (Chris Brown-take it to the head, 3-6 Mafia-Late Nite Tip). Sub took everything and the lows were outstanding. This sub, maybe due to the ported box, did much better than the Pioneer IMPP 10" I recently had in there in a sealed box. For $30 plus whatever you got into a box, you really can't go wrong. The double stack magnet structure is HUGE on this thing and the build quality is pretty nice for the $$$. I am satisfied.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/IMG_20120917_191804.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/IMG_20120917_191821.jpg

VWGolfMKVI
09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Good review

kushy_dreams
09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Its surprising to hear these performing well in ported setups because they are marketed to be used only for sealed applications.

It outperformed that pioneer 10, because 1. that pioneer is a pos and 2. a ported enclosure is always going to be more efficient than sealed even when less cone area is involved.

Spooney
09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
All the subs in the MAX series are great performers for the money. I've used the tens and twelves with great results. Handle rated power no problem and have some good excursion. Only thing I don't like is the stupid plastic magnet boot they put on them. I always take them off.

dwcopple
09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Its surprising to hear these performing well in ported setups because they are marketed to be used only for sealed applications.

If you enter the parameters found in this thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/514818-2-lanzar-max-8-subwoofers.html
It says these will do well in a ported enclosure. I followed the enclosure to the size recommended by sbelew (member here) and it seems to have worked remarkably well. The other Lanzar MAXpro 8's are recommended for small sealed. I got this one because I wanted to run a ported setup. I am pleased with the results!

Sleeklsc
09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't mind running 6 of these ported @ .67. All for under 200 shipped. Tempting.

CAT MAN
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't mind running 6 of these ported @ .67. All for under 200 shipped. Tempting.

on an apsm1500 what a cheap system!

Sleeklsc
09-18-2012, 11:02 AM
on an apsm1500 what a cheap system!

You know how gay people say they were "born this way",well, I was born a frugal soab.