PDA

View Full Version : Best glue???????

Timmy13091
09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
So I have a 15 type r as you can see in the pic corner needs repair hoping to avoid a recone any help on what glue and cheapest place to get would be amazing thanks guys

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o617/timmy13091/4f0955ad.jpg

Timmy13091
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Not sure who tried to glue it or what he used exactly but as you can see someone has tried

pro-rabbit
09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
First you have clean all that crap off.

Any CA style glue will work though, can be picked up at hobby shops.

Timmy13091
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
First you have clean all that crap off.

Any CA style glue will work though, can be picked up at hobby shops.

Menards? And ca glue?

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Like a cement or a super glue I've read several things

pro-rabbit
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
If your not in a huge hurry, you could get some from SPLaudio or any of the "DIY" companies out there. AQ, PSI, and several others offer a CA glues.

I use cyberbond but you won't find that in a store though.

Timmy13091
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
If your not in a huge hurry, you could get some from SPLaudio or any of the "DIY" companies out there. AQ, PSI, and several others offer a CA glues.

I use cyberbond but you won't find that in a store though.

You don't think anything you can pickup at a hardware store will hold up??

pro-rabbit
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes it can, but a quick google search will net you several various options to choose from. I figured if you were asking then you didn't find what you wanted with a search and wanted to find better options. Just make sure you don't get any glue that will expand as it sets.

Timmy13091
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks

chargdbassbuick
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
ca glue works best for me , ive used amazing goop to repair a vc former to spider once held up great , i dont c y it wouldnt work for the surround .

ducatipaso
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey man the first thing I would do is clean off the old glue, use some sand paper to ruff-up the metal frame of the sub-woofer and then use a two step epoxy glue, you can find it at Wal-Mart or Traget for like $5 a pack. Their are a phew different types of epoxy you want the one that has a dispenser that attaches to the end of the tube. As you push the plunder into the tube the epoxy mixes as it comes out. You will be able to put a nice line of epoxy on the sub-woofer frame and then press the cone in-place.
If you have some c-clams you could clamp the cone to the sub-woofer frame. If you do clamp the woofer cone to the frame I would place a piece of wood like a section of a wood stir stick under the C-clam on the woofer cone side so that when you clamp it down it distributes the pressure evenly.
When you are shopping for the epoxy if they have the Lock-Tight brand then they most likely have a quick set epoxy that sets-up in 1 minute and another that setts up in 5 minutes. The package says that the 5 minute epoxy can hold like 2600 pounds of force and the 1 minute epoxy can hold like 2100 pounds or something like that so I would get the 5 minute epoxy.
I have used the epoxy to fix many things and its worked very well, just be sure the surfaces are ruffed-up with sand paper, dry, free of dust and very important ones you press the two sides tougher don't move them very much, put it in the right place and clamp it and let it set-up for hours or over night for best results.
Hope that helps

mylows10
09-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey man the first thing I would do is clean off the old glue, use some sand paper to ruff-up the metal frame of the sub-woofer and then use a two step epoxy glue, you can find it at Wal-Mart or Traget for like $5 a pack. Their are a phew different types of epoxy you want the one that has a dispenser that attaches to the end of the tube. As you push the plunder into the tube the epoxy mixes as it comes out. You will be able to put a nice line of epoxy on the sub-woofer frame and then press the cone in-place.
If you have some c-clams you could clamp the cone to the sub-woofer frame. If you do clamp the woofer cone to the frame I would place a piece of wood like a section of a wood stir stick under the C-clam on the woofer cone side so that when you clamp it down it distributes the pressure evenly.
When you are shopping for the epoxy if they have the Lock-Tight brand then they most likely have a quick set epoxy that sets-up in 1 minute and another that setts up in 5 minutes. The package says that the 5 minute epoxy can hold like 2600 pounds of force and the 1 minute epoxy can hold like 2100 pounds or something like that so I would get the 5 minute epoxy.
I have used the epoxy to fix many things and its worked very well, just be sure the surfaces are ruffed-up with sand paper, dry, free of dust and very important ones you press the two sides tougher don't move them very much, put it in the right place and clamp it and let it set-up for hours or over night for best results.
Hope that helps
this is a total fail ,many have done this with bad results.use the ca glue and activator

Julian
09-12-2012, 11:55 PM
amazing goop works really well for surrounds.
IMO rubberized CA glue, what Fi/etc uses is some of the best.

Juicee
09-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Cyanoacrylate Adhesives: Parfix 3410- Black Rubber Toughened | Chembar (http://www.chembar.com/adhesives/cyanoacrylate-adhesives/parfix-3410-black-rubber-toughened/)

Some of the best stuff Ive ever used works on all surround types and I have never had it fail.

iLLsT0LZ
09-13-2012, 12:01 AM
e6000 will work well if you want to get something local.

Serpent710
09-13-2012, 12:02 AM
dried ********* just what the original did, seemed to have the wrong formula though, possibly not thick enough.

pieper88
09-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Titebond II

It'll work.

Just go with it.

hispls
09-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Normal super glue will do for that.

Timmy13091
09-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Normal super glue will do for that.

Thanks that was what I e's leaning towards gorilla glue or something after I clean it good I'm not sure what exactly my buddy tried using but it's a mess but price was right so can't complain worst comes to worst if it pops out I'll be off to grab some ca thanks to everyone who true helpin I appreciate it !

UnderFire
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks that was what I e's leaning towards gorilla glue or something after I clean it good I'm not sure what exactly my buddy tried using but it's a mess but price was right so can't complain worst comes to worst if it pops out I'll be off to grab some ca thanks to everyone who true helpin I appreciate it !

Don't use gorilla glue that stuff expands a lot as it dries.

hispls
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Superglue is CA glue.

Timmy13091
09-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Really I thought ca glue was diff and only avalible at hobby stores etc and was what was used to make subs

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Superglue is CA glue.

? ? ?

hispls
09-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Really I thought ca glue was diff and only avalible at hobby stores etc and was what was used to make subs

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

? ? ?

CA = Cyanoacrylate That's what super glue is. There's various additives and thicknesses, but just regular dollar-store superglue will do for tacking down a surround to frame.

Timmy13091
09-13-2012, 01:09 AM
CA = Cyanoacrylate That's what super glue is. There's various additives and thicknesses, but just regular dollar-store superglue will do for tacking down a surround to frame.

Thanks bro