PDA

View Full Version : 2 American Bass XFL 1244 & Phantom 4000 MD

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got the system installed about a month ago by Auto Radio, in Tucker, GA.. Install was not really up too my liking.. Cause I'm kinda picky.. (Will send attach pics later...)

Just some info.. I have 2010 Camaro.. Factory Boston Acoustics system.
2 12" American Bass XFL subs in a sealed box.. Volume is about 1ft^3.
and they are powered by a American Bass Phantom 4000 MD amp.

For starters.. the system sounds really good... I know it can sound better.. (bigger box, ported/vented... etc..) but I would have to do a custom build inside the trunk for that.

IAD-Zak
09-12-2012, 08:18 PM
cool?

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I've been reading the reviews on these subs.. and I decided to get them.. after being referred by my Installer.. (was going to get some Alpine 12" Type R).. Had them 5 weeks.. and yesterday the amp blew.... was just driving and started smelling smoke... turned the system off... Let it cool down on the way to work.. and it wouldn't crank back up.. So I go back to shop and he says 1 sub blew..!?! which cause the amp to blow.. !!?? I don't know much.. But is this possible..?? and is this rare.. I never touched the amp and it was set at about 60-65% gain... Said he would replace the sub and amp tomorrow.

IAD-Zak
09-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I've been reading the reviews on these subs.. and I decided to get them.. after being referred by my Installer.. (was going to get some Alpine 12" Type R).. Had them 5 weeks.. and yesterday the amp blew.... was just driving and started smelling smoke... turned the system off... Let it cool down on the way to work.. and it wouldn't crank back up.. So I go back to shop and he says 1 sub blew..!?! which cause the amp to blow.. !!?? I don't know much.. But is this possible..?? and is this rare.. I never touched the amp and it was set at about 60-65% gain... Said he would replace the sub and amp tomorrow.

completely plausible. but test it all yourself

IAD-Zak
09-12-2012, 08:26 PM

completely plausible. but test it all yourself

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Well I was sitting there when he tested the sub with a battery.. so I know the sub blew.. and he hooked the amp back up and it and it flipped between protection to on a couple of times then I heard a click.. and smoke started coming out.

allenzo
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Where did you go in Tucker

mylows10
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
this is what happens when a shop does not know what they are doing

quackhead
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Just got the system installed about a month ago by Auto Radio, in Tucker, GA.. Install was not really up too my liking.. Cause I'm kinda picky.. (Will send attach pics later...)

Just some info.. I have 2010 Camaro.. Factory Boston Acoustics system.
2 12" American Bass XFL subs in a sealed box.. Volume is about 1ft^3.
and they are powered by a American Bass Phantom 4000 MD amp.

For starters.. the system sounds really good... I know it can sound better.. (bigger box, ported/vented... etc..) but I would have to do a custom build inside the trunk for that.

IF that amp does rated and you have completely stock electrical, and both subs share 1 cubic foot then you and your installer both are idiots. You probably starved the amp to death, taking out a perfectly good sub in the process(though clipping at low voltage, I would guess) because you probably are not even smart enough to purchase a $25 dash mounted voltmeter that would help you prevent such things....what size power and ground wire did he run? where is the ground located? Sanded and bolted? Stock staring battery?...etc, etc, etc...

If I am wrong and you do have the electrical upgrades necessary for such a powerful system, then I regress........but I doubt it.

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
pics..

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I apologize about being an Idiot.. But I don't know about this stuff..
I thin each sub has about 1 ft each...
it is stock electrical..
there is a voltage meter in the car.. and it never goes under 12.. comes stock with the gauge package with the car... and it's on the capacitor...
So i guess it would be redundant to buy a dash mounted voltage meter..
Voltage and ground are both 0 gauge i believe.. and it is a stock battery.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

I went to auto radio in tucker.. right off of Hwy 78.. Stone Mtn Industrial exit.

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:18 PM
he is putting in a new sub and amp tomorrow.. is there something i should do before i try listening to my system??

quackhead
09-12-2012, 09:20 PM
pics..

looks like 4ga..thought so...1 cube ea aint' too bad for airspace sealed. You should get your money back on the burnt sub, swap the good one for a D2 and pay someone here to build and ship you the same size(or a little wider) ported for 1 XFL on the PH4000. Run at least 2ga and do a Big 3 with the biggest AGM deep cycle that will fit up front...and a dash digital mounted volt meter to keep a close eye on the things that really matter.

quackhead
09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Well, you probably do not deserve to be called an idiot...this time..lol. Do some homework, bud.

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
He's going to put in a new sub and new amp for free..
2 ga to speakers???
is big three that important?? and would the 1 12 sound better than 2 12's in sealed box?? The only prob is.. you can't fit the proper sized box in the trunk because of
the opening.. did you see the opening?? it's really small... do you know any shops in GA that build?? How much would it run??

quackhead
09-12-2012, 09:46 PM
He's going to put in a new sub and new amp for free..
2 ga to speakers???
is big three that important?? and would the 1 12 sound better than 2 12's in sealed box?? The only prob is.. you can't fit the proper sized box in the trunk because of
the opening.. did you see the opening?? it's really small... do you know any shops in GA that build?? How much would it run??
0 or 2ga. to amp/ground, 10 or 8 to speaker(s). And yes, 1 12 will get a lot louder on twice the power ported in a box the right size. You will be using a lot of your trunk to do 2 of them ported. There are guys here that run a single XFL on 2k daily. It looks like you can fit a good ported box for 1 sub where you have the 2 currently,.

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I still gotta find someone to build the box.. and they would have to build it in the car.. Know anybody in GA??

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I'd still have to find someone to build it... Know anybody in GA?? or I could do a DIY box.... if someone built it to specs.

quackhead
09-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I'd still have to find someone to build it... Know anybody in GA?? or I could do a DIY box.... if someone built it to specs.
pro-rabbit;

Syntaxx7x
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
thanx.... i'll contact him

Syntaxx7x
09-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Ok update:

Went to shop.. they put in new sub and new amp.. Said that the other sub might be slightly burnt..
Sooo they put in one and took the "bad" one out.. and I will get the other one tomorrow...
Said I didn't burn them in properly.

quackhead
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok update:

Went to shop.. they put in new sub and new amp.. Said that the other sub might be slightly burnt..
Sooo they put in one and took the "bad" one out.. and I will get the other one tomorrow...
Said I didn't burn them in properly.

LOL..oreally..Sound like they burnt in just fine to me..:fro:

Syntaxx7x
10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
lol.. yeh i guess.....
anyways i have 2 new ones.. and they have been running fine.. I did notice that they turned the bass boost down a notch.. and the gain is at about 45-50%.. everybody says that I would be able to get more out of them if i just use one in a properly built ported box.. So i'm looking at options for that... I have a 2010 camaro.. so i have some issues with box size...

Syntaxx7x
10-15-2012, 10:52 PM
ok.. i'm about to change cars.. and get the ss model.. then i'll just say "F" it to the trunk and get a box built in the whole trunk.. It's not like I put anything back there anyway.. So I guess I'll have to hit someone up and drive to their spot and get the box built.. I Want to to be ported through the back seat into the cabin.. That way I can keep the seats up.. I'm thinking possibly Fiberglass..

-BenBen-
10-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Turn the bass boost all the way off, it kills your subs..and also set the amp gain to maybe around 25 - 30% and you should be fine.

Syntaxx7x
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
*sigh* I guess I'ma have to wait on the system.. Going to trade in my car to get a newer SS model.. then I'll have to contact someone about building a plexi box in the back.. So I gotta put everythign on hold till I do that..

BoomBoxStereo
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
F the camaro get a bmw :fro:

Iosias
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
F the camaro get a bmw :fro:

For once id agree....

Syntaxx7x
11-19-2012, 10:41 PM
lol... yeh.. I would if I could get the M3.. But I'm not banking that much (premium gas.. and car payment).. Plus I'm getting a even trade in.. same payment.. Newer year.. higher model..

Syntaxx7x
11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
If I could find a M3 for 375-425 a month I would.

BoomBoxStereo
11-19-2012, 10:45 PM
nothing wrong with the good ol' classifieds

sstepp
01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
said you didnt burn the subs in right? do you mean break them in?? if you JUST bought those subs and pounded the hell out of them..there gunna blow or youll blow the amp. ab xfl 12's need at LEAST 10 hours of "break" in time. i use 0 guage for power and ground 10 guage for all wiring on subs, big three IS important when running a system around 2000 watts or more. that upgrade is usually around $300 youll need a bigger alt at least 200 amp alt those are around 5250-300 or more depending on what you want. id get a battery or a nice cap.

Tenacious
01-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Always avoid capacitors... They're useless, a waste of money, and a waste of your time to install. And I only spent around $60 on a 0 gauge big 3, including wire and battery terminals.

And no matter what you do, go with a ported box..

mylows10
01-05-2013, 11:47 PM
said you didnt burn the subs in right? do you mean break them in?? if you JUST bought those subs and pounded the hell out of them..there gunna blow or youll blow the amp. ab xfl 12's need at LEAST 10 hours of "break" in time. i use 0 guage for power and ground 10 guage for all wiring on subs, big three IS important when running a system around 2000 watts or more. that upgrade is usually around $300 youll need a bigger alt at least 200 amp alt those are around 5250-300 or more depending on what you want. id get a battery or a nice cap
yea you just showed your noobness ,you have no idea what your talking about ,so please refrain from posting useless nonsense

sstepp
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
yea you just showed your noobness ,you have no idea what your talking about ,so please refrain from posting useless nonsense

shut the the **** up **** boy, i BET you would say that **** in person online toughguy, what hell so wrong bout what i said. runnin a bigger alt sometimes needs a big 3 u idiot or youll fry your elec, subs do need break in time you fool, go put a 3000 watt system on any car ill bet the lights dum u crackhead. your lame as *** you just showed your age by respondin to that post the way you did like your somekind of boss. all that talk gets people whammed boy. so watch what you say. i aint gunna respond back to what ever you say now. cuz no point so save your breath thug boy

mylows10
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Apparently you didn't read the post very well. The alt big 3 and battery are very true and needed. Yes. But you suggested a good cap. Which has been proven time and time again to be useless like your babbling So be careful about who you threaten on the forum or you may not be here long. Ps you sound like chriscarter85 who was perms banned for acting to same way as you did in your response back to me Hint. Hint. Hint :hihorse:

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
shut the the **** up **** boy, i BET you would say that **** in person online toughguy, what hell so wrong bout what i said. runnin a bigger alt sometimes needs a big 3 u idiot or youll fry your elec, subs do need break in time you fool, go put a 3000 watt system on any car ill bet the lights dum u crackhead. your lame as *** you just showed your age by respondin to that post the way you did like your somekind of boss. all that talk gets people whammed boy. so watch what you say. i aint gunna respond back to what ever you say now. cuz no point so save your breath thug boy

Keep it to the dome and obey the forum rules, broheem. You're only 10 posts in and trying to make waves? Not a good idea.

sstepp
01-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Keep it to the dome and obey the forum rules, broheem. You're only 10 posts in and trying to make waves? Not a good idea.

actually no. ive been a member for a while just havent logged into old account because i cant remember the email address or anything associated with my account here. so i just made a new one.. and idc bout post join date that means nothing really.. i just dont apprecieate ignorant people runnin there mouth, thats it. enough said i blocked that fool so its said and done.

mazdakid
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
actually no. ive been a member for a while just havent logged into old account because i cant remember the email address or anything associated with my account here. so i just made a new one.. and idc bout post join date that means nothing really.. i just dont apprecieate ignorant people runnin there mouth, thats it. enough said i blocked that fool so its said and done.

You sound pretty new to me.

sstepp
01-06-2013, 10:58 PM
You sound pretty new to me.

anyways.... so i cant remember my login name and my email address i used for my old account so that makes me "sound pretty new" cool story.

neo_styles
01-06-2013, 11:06 PM
anyways.... so i cant remember my login name and my email address i used for my old account so that makes me "sound pretty new" cool story.

Not quite. You badmouthing one of the most respected dealers on this forum who has explicit knowledge and experience with this equipment and has worked his nuts off to become the only online-authorized AB dealer in the country makes you come across as a noob. I'm not here to start fires, though, just think next time before you act. And don't be surprised if he's not willing to help you out if you need any now. Just too early to burn bridges.

sstepp
01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Not quite. You badmouthing one of the most respected dealers on this forum who has explicit knowledge and experience with this equipment and has worked his nuts off to become the only online-authorized AB dealer in the country makes you come across as a noob. I'm not here to start fires, though, just think next time before you act. And don't be surprised if he's not willing to help you out if you need any now. Just too early to burn bridges.

me either what im saying is idc whos who really. talk to me the way you want to be talked to. period. im nice till someone opens there mouth and makes me feel like i was disrespected , coulda left out the negative remarks he said and reworded it differently and i would have been ok. thats just the type of person i am. i dont hold what i feel towards anyone if i feel wronged, everyone has their own opinions on things and it dont mean for somsone to be critical about it, you know what im saying? and im not new again ill say this again lol. ive been a member here for a few years, just left the country for a while came back.

Syntaxx7x
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
thanx for the input.... i'ma try to change boxes 1st.. I think i'm prob running about .75^3 sealed right now.. gonna try and go up to about 2ft^3.. then I'm go with the upgrade... i'm new so i'm trying almost everything..

Dtrom
01-29-2013, 11:00 PM
said you didnt burn the subs in right? do you mean break them in?? if you JUST bought those subs and pounded the hell out of them..there gunna blow or youll blow the amp. ab xfl 12's need at LEAST 10 hours of "break" in time. i use 0 guage for power and ground 10 guage for all wiring on subs, big three IS important when running a system around 2000 watts or more. that upgrade is usually around $300 youll need a bigger alt at least 200 amp alt those are around 5250-300 or more depending on what you want. id get a battery or a nice cap.

Lots of retardedness here

VWGolfMKVI
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
:popcorn:

Dtrom
01-29-2013, 11:29 PM
:popcorn:

Syntaxx7x
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Ok.. going to go with Star Mountain Sounds and see what he can do.. Cause he's gotta build it in my trunk.. which is gonna be like origami with wood and plexi!!
Gotta find some time from work and get up there.. got the money for the box.. Will hit you all back and let you know how it came out... I'm kinda excited..

FamousMassacre
02-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Ok.. going to go with Star Mountain Sounds and see what he can do.. Cause he's gotta build it in my trunk.. which is gonna be like origami with wood and plexi!!
Gotta find some time from work and get up there.. got the money for the box.. Will hit you all back and let you know how it came out... I'm kinda excited..

Have you been to his shop yet?

Syntaxx7x
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
nah not yet.. gotta get some time off of work... I work 6 days a week.... I'm trying to hit him up sometime in end of April.. Beginning of May.

Roberacer
02-22-2013, 11:30 PM
IF that amp does rated and you have completely stock electrical, and both subs share 1 cubic foot then you and your installer both are idiots. You probably starved the amp to death, taking out a perfectly good sub in the process(though clipping at low voltage, I would guess) because you probably are not even smart enough to purchase a $25 dash mounted voltmeter that would help you prevent such things....what size power and ground wire did he run? where is the ground located? Sanded and bolted? Stock staring battery?...etc, etc, etc...
If I am wrong and you do have the electrical upgrades necessary for such a powerful system, then I regress........but I doubt it.

Wow, those are some strong words my friend. My first guess would have been that the sub burnt and fused thereby creating a direct short circuit across the positive and negative terminals. The amp would then have seen 0 resistance and overheated the outputs causing them to burn up. This is a a pretty common problem really. Many of the more expensive amps have protection circuits to guard against this. A voltmeter isn't going to save his *** in this instance either. A better solution would be to buy drivers that handle much more power than the amp can output. Your chances of catastrophic overload of the amplifier are considerably lessened with this even with square waves being outputted as many folks commonly seem to choose. Of course the real cause of the problem is all speculation at this point. That isn't to say that your theory is wrong either.
On side note. A little understanding (of people) goes a long way.

dhall615
02-23-2013, 12:09 AM
nah not yet.. gotta get some time off of work... I work 6 days a week.... I'm trying to hit him up sometime in end of April.. Beginning of May.

+1 on a box from double 07 ; Im loving mine with 2 xfl 12's

double 07
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks D....I am glad you like it........

garretttt4
02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
+1 on a box from double 07 ; Im loving mine with 2 xfl 12's

Thanks D....I am glad you like it........

I'm gunna have to order one for my xfls soon!

Syntaxx7x
04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I just took out the shroud that my "installer" put over the box.. Sounds a lot better and my trunnk rattles a lot less. Waiting on Star MOuntain to get back at me... says he's kinda busy.. and I believe he is the closest guy to me to build a box in my trunk.

macsdad
04-19-2013, 10:59 AM
You will not be disappointed, i love my boxes he built. Wonderful guy to deal with.

Syntaxx7x
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Also.. Just a concern.. but i've read a couple of reviews of these subs and people say there's barely get warm.. I felt mines yesterday... they were a little bit more than warm.. just a c concern.. and also think i shoul dtake the polyfilling out of the box that the "installer" put in??? Or is it still usefull.

timhof13
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
tip. leave the stuff off until you get your new enclousure.

Syntaxx7x
04-19-2013, 02:26 PM
do you mean liek drive around with no bass!!.....!!!

Syntaxx7x
04-26-2013, 02:32 PM
ok.. since I'm waiting.. just ordered 80 sq ft of AT sound deadener... Already getting some nasty flex from what I have.. Guess I'll gut the car and install while I'm still waiting for Star Mountain to get back to me..

Syntaxx7x
05-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Got the AT Sound Deadener..
Just did the install on the trunk lid.. wanted to keep it clean..

Syntaxx7x
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
So I finished the trunk with the deadener... and now my roof and bumber are annoying me... Anyways... I finally measured my box.. and it comes out to this.. 2.88 sq ft box.. or 1.44 in two separate sealed chambers.. so I guess my "custom" box is way off spec.. I have sound equipment and I know it's supposed to sound better than what it is.. Just kinda ticked that this "Installer" charged me $1500 and I read that it's so far off spec it's a joke.

Waiting on Star mountain to hit me back but he's been busy.. so I'ma attempt to build my own box.. Gonna do a test run with 5/8" particle board 1st to see how i'm going to get it to fit in the trunk.. Thinking about firing the subs up and the port back.. Any suggestions? I know 4.2 ^3 net is they way to go.. so I'ma try to get it the closest I can to that.. Does it really matter where I position my amp?? I know it needs some air flow.. cause it gets hot...

Do you think it would be a prob with the subs firing up and the port facing the trunk??

alec14
06-20-2013, 08:40 PM
So I finished the trunk with the deadener... and now my roof and bumber are annoying me... Anyways... I finally measured my box.. and it comes out to this.. 2.88 sq ft box.. or 1.44 in two separate sealed chambers.. so I guess my "custom" box is way off spec.. I have sound equipment and I know it's supposed to sound better than what it is.. Just kinda ticked that this "Installer" charged me $1500 and I read that it's so far off spec it's a joke.

Waiting on Star mountain to hit me back but he's been busy.. so I'ma attempt to build my own box.. Gonna do a test run with 5/8" particle board 1st to see how i'm going to get it to fit in the trunk.. Thinking about firing the subs up and the port back.. Any suggestions? I know 4.2 ^3 net is they way to go.. so I'ma try to get it the closest I can to that.. Does it really matter where I position my amp?? I know it needs some air flow.. cause it gets hot...

Do you think it would be a prob with the subs firing up and the port facing the trunk??

No, that would work. If that's what you want

mylows10
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM

what car ?

Syntaxx7x
06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
2010 Camaro

Syntaxx7x
11-20-2013, 08:28 PM
thread is dead... so is my car..
Totaled by a hit and run. even box was crushed a little. Got subs and amp out though.

voughtrod
11-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Wanna sell the equipment? I have been strongly considering their products

Syntaxx7x
12-04-2013, 07:56 AM
nah.. I bought a used Honda the next day. built a box.. (measured the trunk so it could fit.. and forgot to make sure it could get in the opening.) :(
so it's in my back seat 4.2 ft^3. Sounded way better than the other box I had it in. So i'm keeping it.

des343
12-04-2013, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=quackhead;8153924]looks like 4gnv