PDA

View Full Version : Help needed improving stock gm sound, please...

tds73
09-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Hello all,
I will try to be short and to the point. I am a newbie here and not a big audio buff. I have a new Buick Lacrosse with the Intellilink stereo, base with 7 speakers(not Harmon Kardon). I just had a Rockford 750 amp installed with a pioneer shallow box and a 12" ts-w3001 s2 in it. Trouble is, the stock speakers lack the mid-bass, tight thump. I have to turn down the bass on the head unit to turn up the volume and I am guessing this is where a lot of the problem comes from.
Question is, can something be done (like crossovers) to the stock speakers so i can turn the bass back up a little to regain some mids without distorting with the lower freq notes? If so, would it be dumb to add say a 5 channel amp, 1 channel to run sub and the others to run the stock speakers and maybe crispen/clean up the sound a little. I am just not sure i want to spend all the money to replace the stock speakers. Thanks for your time.

maylar
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
You can put "bass blockers" inline with the speakers to keep the low bass out of them. I would start with 75Hz or 80Hz blockers (check Crutchfield) and see if that does it.

Upgrading the speakers would of course help. Adding an amp would be a good solution too, since you can set the lowest frequency the speakers wil play.

tds73
09-07-2012, 09:47 AM
You can put "bass blockers" inline with the speakers to keep the low bass out of them. I would start with 75Hz or 80Hz blockers (check Crutchfield) and see if that does it.

Upgrading the speakers would of course help. Adding an amp would be a good solution too, since you can set the lowest frequency the speakers wil play.

Do you think adding an amp to the stock speakers would be ok ? would it be worth it?
i know i am being cheap, but since i already have an amp for the sub, i may swap it for an amp that will do sub and others, this way there is minor cost for upgrade of amp.

maylar
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM
The big advantage in your case is that aftermarket amps have adjustable hipass filters that let you set the amount of bass that the speakers play just by turning a knob. It's almost always an improvement even with stock speakers, and gives you the ability to give more power to them if you decide to upgrade speakers in the future.

keep_hope_alive
09-08-2012, 09:46 PM
You won't get more midbass from the stock speakers. Some $5 bass blockers would help yo get more output from the sub by removing.