PDA

View Full Version : Box Lining Question

cyn
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Anyone ever line their box with DuRok or Hardy Rock boards ?
Was wondering if that would make a diff. since I see people talking about lining/building boxes out of concrete and such.?

RangerDangerV2
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
you want the inside to be as smooth as glass. people use concrete for strength and it is usually sandwhiched between layers of wood...

cyn
09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
you want the inside to be as smooth as glass. people use concrete for strength and it is usually sandwhiched between layers of wood...

Well If I was to do durok or anything like that I would glass over it... and It was a curosity question more or less...

snoopdan
09-04-2012, 08:33 PM

I've used concrete for both actually. Did a concrete wall once for a buddy of mine, and was doing crazy numbers with ****** speakers.

RangerDangerV2
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I've used concrete for both actually. Did a concrete wall once for a buddy of mine, and was doing crazy numbers with ****** speakers.

nobody cares because you arent loud :fyi:

snoopdan
09-04-2012, 09:45 PM
nobody cares because you arent loud :fyi:

true story bra

cyn
09-04-2012, 09:51 PM

So would DuRok work for changing the wave form in the box? or would doing straight concrete be better? Just trying to figure out some things if I ever decide to do some competing and figuring out lightest over heavest way to go with some of these things.

snoopdan
09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
So would DuRok work for changing the wave form in the box? or would doing straight concrete be better? Just trying to figure out some things if I ever decide to do some competing and figuring out lightest over heavest way to go with some of these things.

I don't know what durok is brah.

srb
09-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Durock has a lot of air and Styrofoam in it. I don't think it would be the best material to line a box with.

cyn
09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know what durok is brah.

DUROCK cement board by USG Corporation (http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html)

RangerDangerV2
09-04-2012, 10:31 PM
meh... unless you do shiz like craig butler I see no need for it...

cyn
09-04-2012, 10:34 PM
meh... unless you do shiz like craig butler I see no need for it...

If I decide to actually compete... Yeah, I will go full all out.. Only reason I haven't started yet is because I don't feel like getting into my savings account. Over the past 15 years of just daily systems and stuff I've spent more than enough to buy a very nice house with lol...

Buck
09-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Why do you need to do that? Just fiberglass / resin it.

RangerDangerV2
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
If I decide to actually compete... Yeah, I will go full all out.. Only reason I haven't started yet is because I don't feel like getting into my savings account. Over the past 15 years of just daily systems and stuff I've spent more than enough to buy a very nice house with lol...

so you are going to run 120kw and pull numbers in the 180s?? :uhoh:

cyn
09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
so you are going to run 120kw and pull numbers in the 180s?? :uhoh:

If I was to go all out I would put in as much as my account would allow me to do.. I would shoot for breaking records...

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Why do you need to do that? Just fiberglass / resin it.

Just curious as to what it would do man... not saying I would do it.. just putting somethign out that i have not seen asked or anything..

snoopdan
09-04-2012, 11:02 PM
personally id stick to birch if I were going to do a wall ever again. Threaded rods for strength throughout.

Firebird 1991
09-08-2012, 12:54 PM
ive just used resin on the inside of alot of my boxes, it drys smooth and hard. Only down fall to doing resin on the inside of the box is you smell it FOREVER inside your vehicle lol

Firebird 1991
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
i saw one guy get really creative doing 45s, he would tilt the box a certain way and poor a ***** load of resin in the crack and basically his 45s inside his box were all resin lol, kind of a waste of money but i thought it was pretty cool

butterMilk
09-10-2012, 05:13 AM
ive just used resin on the inside of alot of my boxes, it drys smooth and hard. Only down fall to doing resin on the inside of the box is you smell it FOREVER inside your vehicle lol

I have just finished a fibreglass box, and yeah it smells! But I have built a sealed box, and I'm wondering if you know weather any fumes left in the box could affect the sub?

garychoffmann
09-16-2012, 02:37 AM
they do make pourable concretes, and sound deadening concretes. if you really wanted to try something and not spend that much. I would put down a hush mat, staple mesh to that and then pour in leveler. do a side at a time and it would be solid. Durock would crumble inside a speaker box. A 2 part flexible mortar would be your best bet.