PDA

View Full Version : Best sounding components

West
09-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Looking for the best sounding components you have ever heard. Hopefully they are under (900$) but tell me about them if they are over that.
Also looking for some 6x9 full ranges.

Please and ty.

rebelfromva
09-03-2012, 02:24 AM
I like my cdts personally. They get plent loud too!

West
09-03-2012, 02:27 AM
I like my cdts personally. They get plent loud too!

Interesting. Gimme an out of 10 rating? 10 being perfection 1 being the sound out of my iphone.

rebelfromva
09-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Lmao I do give the iPhone speaker a 1. Fvck this sh!tty thing! But on a $900 budget, you could get one h3ll of a set of speakers. I'm sure others will say much better than cdts but Im perfectly happy with my hd61s. How much power?

Side Show
09-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Hope your not putting 6x9 speakers in the same car as the $900 set of components.....

West
09-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Lmao I do give the iPhone speaker a 1. Fvck this sh!tty thing! But on a $900 budget, you could get one h3ll of a set of speakers. I'm sure others will say much better than cdts but Im perfectly happy with my hd61s. How much power?

Haha I like my focals but want to see how much better I can do.
Hate the phucking iphone speaker...
I will be switching over to an mcc406m (6 channels 4x50w and 2x100 @ 4ohms) I am willing to run my mcc404m and the mcc406m so that would be 8x100 w channels if needed. Would probably need a big three upgrade maybe?

West
09-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Hope your not putting 6x9 speakers in the same car as the $900 set of components.....

I would if they sound close to as good as the components.

xShoWTeKx
09-03-2012, 02:47 AM
my personal favorite in that range that i have heard are hertz hi energy 3 ways, absolutely loved those speakers.

West
09-03-2012, 02:49 AM
my personal favorite in that range that i have heard are hertz hi energy 3 ways, absolutely loved those speakers.

Thanks! What if I could go to $1200 or so?

splwj47
09-03-2012, 02:55 AM
I love my cdts, they sound amazing. But i would like to try out some rainbows or some hat's.

Side Show
09-03-2012, 03:00 AM
won't happen imo, get youself a nice lil sub if your after some bass.... i personally hate 6x9's and have never heard A nice sounding pair.... every system i have ever tuned i have actually disconnected them to acheve better overal sound quality

West
09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
won't happen imo, get youself a nice lil sub if your after some bass.... i personally hate 6x9's and have never heard A nice sounding pair.... every system i have ever tuned i have actually disconnected them to acheve better overal sound quality

I appreciate the advise... I have a sub setup in the trunk right now so I guess I will be running without the 6x9's unless someone can give me a better option. But I think your right...

Bettr n' Revrse
09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
You gunna run 3 ways?

West
09-03-2012, 03:05 AM
You gunna run 3 ways?

I am open to anything really. Whatever will sound best, so yeah probably 3 ways.

xShoWTeKx
09-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks! What if I could go to $1200 or so?

lagatia's

West
09-03-2012, 03:09 AM
lagatia's

Specific product?

Bettr n' Revrse
09-03-2012, 03:11 AM
I am open to anything really. Whatever will sound best, so yeah probably 3 ways.

If I was running the P99rs I would run 3 way...

West
09-03-2012, 03:13 AM
If I was running the P99rs I would run 3 way...

Thats the conclusion I am comming to. If you try and fight what its designed to do... that deck fights you back... lol

Bettr n' Revrse
09-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Thats the conclusion I am comming to. If you try and fight what its designed to do... that deck fights you back... lol

Yep 3 way with a sub is what those where built for so might as well use it... Have you looked into scan speak?

xShoWTeKx
09-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Specific product?

hybrid audio

West
09-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Yep 3 way with a sub is what those where built for so might as well use it... Have you looked into scan speak?
Scan speak? Whats that?

Bettr n' Revrse
09-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Scan speak? Whats that?

Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/)

West
09-03-2012, 03:32 AM
Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/)

Build my own speakers?

Bettr n' Revrse
09-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Build my own speakers?

Yep if your running 3 way no sense in wasting the money on a passive comp set...

Vertex Audio
09-03-2012, 03:42 AM
The CDT's are nice, there ES series comes with a 10 year warranty as well, Also Hybrid Audio’s Stage VI Legatias are sweet.

Flex68
09-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Morel Ultimo, Focal Utopia, Dynaudio Esotech or Esotar

andrew2944r
09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Hands down from anything I have owned these were some of the best sounding front stage speakers I have ever owned pair with a Eclipse 7200 MKII and Mosconi Amps

Stage VI - Legatia SE - The Home of the World's Finest Loudspeakers, and World Championship Car Audio Speaker Systems. (http://hybrid-audio.com/legatiase/)

Fi-brations
09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
if ur going to spend that much on a set of speakers, going active is necessary to see your monies worth, plus proper installation but that's a given

West
09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
if ur going to spend that much on a set of speakers, going active is necessary to see your monies worth, plus proper installation but that's a given

Yup fully intending to go active, any other additions to the list?

mlstrass
09-04-2012, 03:09 AM
x2 on looking into what madisound has to offer. go over to diyma and do some researching on popular 3 way combos....

West
09-04-2012, 03:14 AM
x2 on looking into what madisound has to offer. go over to diyma and do some researching on popular 3 way combos....

I'll check into it some more... I just dont know, I am so used to buying everything as one package from a well known/respected company. Do you know of a good combo that would work well for me?

I am also worried about the install. Right now I have a 6.5'' mid/sub and a 1.5'' tweeter and am not sure how to make a three way setup work for my car...

West
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
These intrigue me...
165KRX3 3 WAYS FOCAL NEW 6.5" KRX3 COMPONENT SPEAKERS K2 POWER

Any thoughts? I might be able to snag them for cheap.

Horsemanwill
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
couple questions what type of car? and what type of sound are you after?

West
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
couple questions what type of car? and what type of sound are you after?

99 Camry. I am going for sonic accuracy, I want it to sound exactly how it was played.

Tight bass, smooth mids, smooth to semi crisp highs depending on whats playing.

Horsemanwill
09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
with that deckas everyone says 3 way + sub is a great way to go. but as it was mentioned setting up a 3way correctly is hard. installation is the key. i would say some ES horns but that center console may cause some reflection issues. all you'd need then is a really good midbass. and eliminate the rear fill.

West
09-04-2012, 06:47 PM
with that deckas everyone says 3 way + sub is a great way to go. but as it was mentioned setting up a 3way correctly is hard. installation is the key. i would say some ES horns but that center console may cause some reflection issues. all you'd need then is a really good midbass. and eliminate the rear fill.

Yes the rear stage is going bye bye.
Just out of curiousity could I get away with my focal PS165's and just add a midrange? I have noticed that the console (and my legs) affects the sounds from the woofers quite a bit.

Horsemanwill
09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
alot of achieving the proper sound is in the installion of the speakers. as you said you have noticed how your legs and the console change the sound. doing a 3 way will require alot of time and patience.

Imtjnotu
09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Clarus C61-2 2-way Speaker System - 12v Electronics (http://store.12velectronics.com/products/Clarus-C61%252d2-2%252dway-Speaker-System-.html)

West
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Clarus C61-2 2-way Speaker System - 12v Electronics (http://store.12velectronics.com/products/Clarus-C61%252d2-2%252dway-Speaker-System-.html)

Very tempting... soo many choices.

Flex68
09-06-2012, 12:56 AM

Just sell him ur set, teej :santa:

West
09-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I really want a HAT stage 6 set, is it worth going from their 5 platform to 6?

Rich B
09-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Scan speak? Whats that?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/images/products/preview/sig-65.jpg

Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-kits/scanspeak-6.5-2-way-signature-car-audio-kit/)

TaylorFade
09-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Oh lawd. For $900 there is an insane selection of amazing drivers. Where to start!?!?!

Seas or Morel mids and ScanSpeek tweets woudl be a good place to start. Yummy.

If you want to go 3 way, look at the Hybrid Audio Legatia stuff as mentioned. Hybrid is famous for their midbass. I've heard a subless two way setup with the L6's and it was amazing.

L6's, L3's and L1's and bingo. World class. Little over budget though. Lol.

If you just want to dip your toe into a 3 way with some really nice drivers, I have a 3 way set of Rainbow SLC's I'll sell you relatively cheap. It's a great set. They're these...
WoofersEtc.com - SLC 365 Kick - Rainbow SLC 3-Way Component System (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8294-slc-365-kick-rainbow-slc-3-way-component-system.aspx)

Brock79
09-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Pretty sure the kicks won't cut it. Those are for a select few and most people that have heard the kicks dont like them. And if i remember correctly they need a lot of power to sound right.

Silkyslim
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Re:Best sound components

The Dynaudio and Morels have always been a favorite of mine. There were two things that You said made me lean this way. Tight bass/mid bass and smooth highs.

The morels and dynes have very smooth roll offs from low,mid and tweet. So when you are trying to blend/tune/setup they are much more forgiving to the car enviroment. You don't have to have massive crossover cliffs that avoid major peaks or drops in speaker response. I have not heard a smoother tweeter and mid than the morels with no loss of detail. This also comes in handy when mounting the tweeter and mid up higher (at the a pillars or dash or higher on the doors) because you are getting alot of reflection off of the glass which intensifies the higher frequencies.

There mid bass sections are very strong. Giving you that "tight snap drum beat" allowing you to cross over the sub lower with out pulling your image to the rear. They have massive motor structures and have sets that are designed for the car environment. I have not seen any mid/bass driver extend so low with as much acuracy and authority that are still smooth enough on the higher end to blend with a dome midrange (ie three way) or extend high and smooth enough to blend well with a tweeter ie. 2way as the new morels.

Ease of tuning yes, if you have the skills, amplifiers, and crossover an active system is the way to go you can tweak and tune till your heart and ears are content. I know that morels higher end componets have multiple wiring options built into there passive crossovers so that you can biamp the speakers.

Anyway not to sound like a sales ad just sounded like a good fit.

I have used the scans speak and vita drivers on in home projects and they are quality products. The morels and dyns have sets now been designed for the car environment ie. different glues design parameters etc. I have no doubt that the home driver designs have produced fantastic sound and have worked for some across the country (I was using Dynaudio home project drivers in cars 22 years ago) but in my area with the more extreme heat and temp fluctuations in the car I have seen them fail with time.

The legs question the major advantage to the three way is allowing you to get your image up past obstruction level and to create a better image ie. being at the concert. The morels offer a dome midrange (ie. voices etc) and tweeters (ie. upper end of female voices, cymbals, harmonics etc.) the higher the freq. the shorter the wavelength and are more easily absorbed by fabric etc. they also loses energy quickly through the atmosphere. So the closer to ear level the better.

I have also used the Focals with good success. Depending on amp and location.

What amp will you be using with them?

Anyway my 2 cents. New to the forum but not audio.

West
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Re:Best sound components

The Dynaudio and Morels have always been a favorite of mine. There were two things that You said made me lean this way. Tight bass/mid bass and smooth highs.

The morels and dynes have very smooth roll offs from low,mid and tweet. So when you are trying to blend/tune/setup they are much more forgiving to the car enviroment. You don't have to have massive crossover cliffs that avoid major peaks or drops in speaker response. I have not heard a smoother tweeter and mid than the morels with no loss of detail. This also comes in handy when mounting the tweeter and mid up higher (at the a pillars or dash or higher on the doors) because you are getting alot of reflection off of the glass which intensifies the higher frequencies.

There mid bass sections are very strong. Giving you that "tight snap drum beat" allowing you to cross over the sub lower with out pulling your image to the rear. They have massive motor structures and have sets that are designed for the car environment. I have not seen any mid/bass driver extend so low with as much acuracy and authority that are still smooth enough on the higher end to blend with a dome midrange (ie three way) or extend high and smooth enough to blend well with a tweeter ie. 2way as the new morels.

Ease of tuning yes, if you have the skills, amplifiers, and crossover an active system is the way to go you can tweak and tune till your heart and ears are content. I know that morels higher end componets have multiple wiring options built into there passive crossovers so that you can biamp the speakers.

Anyway not to sound like a sales ad just sounded like a good fit.

I have used the scans speak and vita drivers on in home projects and they are quality products. The morels and dyns have sets now been designed for the car environment ie. different glues design parameters etc. I have no doubt that the home driver designs have produced fantastic sound and have worked for some across the country (I was using Dynaudio home project drivers in cars 22 years ago) but in my area with the more extreme heat and temp fluctuations in the car I have seen them fail with time.

The legs question the major advantage to the three way is allowing you to get your image up past obstruction level and to create a better image ie. being at the concert. The morels offer a dome midrange (ie. voices etc) and tweeters (ie. upper end of female voices, cymbals, harmonics etc.) the higher the freq. the shorter the wavelength and are more easily absorbed by fabric etc. they also loses energy quickly through the atmosphere. So the closer to ear level the better.

I have also used the Focals with good success. Depending on amp and location.

What amp will you be using with them?

Anyway my 2 cents. New to the forum but not audio.

I appreciate the advice. I will be runing a McIntosh MCC406M - 6 channels (50wx4 and 100wx2)

I just read what you wrote 30 seconds after I bought some HAT Legatia's Pro L1 tweets (used for 200$).

splwj47
09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Well if u got the L1's you mine as well get the L3's and L6's.

West
09-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Yup thats the plan currently. I am gonna roll the dice and try to get em used and save some $$$. The L3's I may have to buy new :(

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Yup thats the plan currently. I am gonna roll the dice and try to get em used and save some $$$. The L3's I may have to buy new :(

West
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Ended up going with HAT
L1's, L4se's, and L6se's

Should I have gotten the L3's?

West
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm gonna roll with it and see how it does, really appreciate the advice guys!

Silkyslim
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry for the spelling and text issues I was writing on a ipad while working during a calibration. I haven't used them but looks like a quality product and the tweeter plays pretty low would help with your image. Drivers remind alot of scan speak made for the car. Really good looking drivers. Let me know how it turns out. Sorry for the delayed response been on the road tuning systems. Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

fish1234
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Looking for the best sounding components you have ever heard. Hopefully they are under (900$) but tell me about them if they are over that.
Also looking for some 6x9 full ranges.

Please and ty.
Cheaper the better, if you ask me. People waste so much money in buying component speakers, that they forget to install them correctly. So to me a cheaper comp set will and do perform every bit as well as a $900/set of components. It costs little in install tools/techniques to make them cheaper speakers sound great and can be fun trying to get the best possible sound and a smaller amount of money. Just me saying......

West
09-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Cheaper the better, if you ask me. People waste so much money in buying component speakers, that they forget to install them correctly. So to me a cheaper comp set will and do perform every bit as well as a $900/set of components. It costs little in install tools/techniques to make them cheaper speakers sound great and can be fun trying to get the best possible sound and a smaller amount of money. Just me saying......

Going to do a great install... well as good as I can.
The hybrids should be pretty good, got them in a damaged box deal.
I probably still overpaid. Whats done is done.

fish1234
09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Going to do a great install... well as good as I can.
The hybrids should be pretty good, got them in a damaged box deal.
I probably still overpaid. Whats done is done.

Good luck, hope you like them HAT's!

West
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Good luck, hope you like them HAT's!

Thanks man!