PDA

View Full Version : Need help on door panels

knotdrummer88
08-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Hello,
Im getting ready to fiberglass my door panels on my jeep and I don't want to fiberglass the whole door I dont want to do the top quarter so I can see the wood grain. I just dont know how to fasten the fleece the door armrest/handle and how to make the transition there smooth.

mlstrass
08-30-2012, 03:44 AM
usually the handles are screwed on from the back side, so you remove it and wrap it separately....

akheathen
08-30-2012, 03:56 AM
well, first thing is to remove the panel, which means you can pull the armrest and handle/switch-panel. the quarter fascia do your fiberglass work under and in front of the handles, and that is the blend point. then your covering can just go over the whole area to under the quarter with your coating. use matting to cover what is not re-shaped. wrap sullifane under the handles and press them into their spaces on the panel against something to make sure they mate well. you planning on smoothe paint, or material covering? also, the quarter fascia might be attached with staples, or glue. you might be able to loosen the staples to allow you to tape it off and work under it to hide the end.

galacticmonkey
08-30-2012, 04:32 AM
Id just do a pod. Cut the pocket out so the door is smooth, then cut out a design in wood. Something that follows the curve of the armrest would be fine. Then just slap some rings on with a nice angle, then wrap, glass, bodywork, wrap, and screw onto the door. Would look good and be much simpler.

knotdrummer88
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Id just do a pod. Cut the pocket out so the door is smooth, then cut out a design in wood. Something that follows the curve of the armrest would be fine. Then just slap some rings on with a nice angle, then wrap, glass, bodywork, wrap, and screw onto the door. Would look good and be much simpler.

I've thought of that, but my concern was always how well it would hold to the door panel. or how sturdy it would be i guess. and then just that would be wrapped and glassed nothing on the door?

pro-rabbit
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
get all the rim removed. Then build your pod on the door. Not a removable one, those are tacky and just look horrible. Then use kitty hair and blend it into the panel. Then use body filler to finish and smooth it out.

You the contour line in the door to hide your seem if you wrap or paint it. Will work out just fine leaving all removed panels and the top left area all stock.

knotdrummer88
08-31-2012, 01:43 AM
is doing it straight to the actually much harder than doing it straight to the door panel? And, I am not going to do a removable one at all.

pro-rabbit
08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I think molding it into the door is much easier then what most think. The hardest part is to blend it all in together. Other then that, its not bad at all.

maylar
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
A couple of thoughts - I assume the door panel is plastic. It's tough to get fiberglass resin to bond to that and remain flexible so as not to crack. You're also gonna come close to the door pocket. I'd probably make the pod out of wood (or MDF) and shape it to transition to the door then cover the whole door with vinyl of the same color or headliner fabric.