PDA

View Full Version : My JL 13W7 review.

Dtrom
08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Review of Subwoofer or Speaker:

<i>Post name, details and review of the equipment you're reviewing. This forum is for reviews only! No questions should be posted!</i>
Last year I went to my local audio shop (car stereo one. Toledo, Ohio) there I purchased and had them install a 13w7, a jl slash 1000/1v2, Jl c5 6.5 components up front and a pair of 6.5 in the rear, being powered by a jl jx360.4. The first thing I noticed after the install was how incredibly loud and clean this single driver was, it simply blew my mind. After some break in time and tuning it became very hard to sit in the vehicle, I know the hatch had a big deal to do with it, but this driver was extremely loud and moved a ton of air. It hit every note just as loud and clear as the last one. JL is very expensive, but if the cash is there, it is a **** good woofer. Now onto the interior speakers, very very loud with ZERO distortion at high volumes. The hatch area was deadened with Stinger "road kill" sound deadener. Standing outside of the vehicle that's all you could hear was crystal clear music and literally no rattle, just the rear wiper slapping off the back windshield. This system was ran on stock electrical, 1200 rms give or take, with only a small stinger (don't remember model) batt and 4 awg runs.
Even with the W7 being overpriced I give it an overall 10/10 with my experience with the driver. It blew me away, and that's all that matters.
Jl evolution c5 6.5- 9/10 overall.
And I know this isn't the place for it but the 1000/1v2 was the cleanest, rawest 1000 rms rated amp I've ever came across and probably the best amp on the market in its power range. Not to mention it gives you more controls over your subwoofer(s) then you could imagine.
My overall impression of jl audio as a company, is their high end gear is top notch, and their lower "budget" stuff is complete garbage IMO.
But this guy has nothing bad to say about the 13W7 except the price tag. But I would buy it again given the chance.