PDA

View Full Version : Increason my box space? Is this any help at all?

95Prober
08-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi guys, before flaming me, hear me out haha.
I have a hatchback running (2) HDC3 15's Aluminum coils
I know that my box is on the small side for these but I wanna run them anyway since I got them
and rather not have one collecting dust

As you can see in the pic, I have room to go higher at the very rear near the taillights when the hatch is closed. However I can go up much higher near the front of the box.

If I was to simply stack a few more inches of MDF and raise the subs, would it work out ok?
I know I wouldnt gain that much airspace for the subs but the little the better.

Thoughts are appreciated!

http://s18.postimage.org/l03crrpkl/20121004_172549.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/l03crrpkl/)

http://s16.postimage.org/anie463gh/SC20120825_103813.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/anie463gh/)

Mitch86
08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I doubt there will be any difference... if there were a difference, it would be because the subs were loading off the hatch differently rather than any increase in airspace.

95Prober
08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
yeah sure. it may feel a bit louder closer to the glass even.

Yeah I wouldnt gain much extra space for sure. Just at the moment they could use all they can get

mazdakid
08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Why not make the top of the box angled and run the subs at the same angle as the window? You could gain a little more space but still not much at all.
Have you tried the subs at the back of the box in the one in the picture? Might be better than having them in the middle of the car.

95Prober
08-25-2012, 01:56 AM
I was told subs up and ports facing the rear would be ideal.
I cant put the subs at the rear facing up coz they dont clear the aeroports
With the subs up front then they clear the ports and I think it makes more sense since the airflow starts
to exit near the subs inside the box

Would the way I have it be the most efficient considering limited space?

95Prober
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Any other opinions guys? I am quite limited on space for two HDC315s

av83
08-27-2012, 01:19 AM
If you think you can do better, enclosure-wise, why not have one off the pro's here design you the best possible one? It would be worth it, IMO.

95Prober
08-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Well I think there isnt much more I could do enclosure wise since Im using all the exisiting space I have right now, pretty much anyway.

I know the HDC315's require more space than Im giving them and there isnt much more room I could squeeze out of my hatch as you can see in the pic.
I dont wanna remove my rear seats or have ports external and extending into the cabin.
right now aim at 34" x 32" x 16.5" (with includes 3/4" double baffle on top) external dimensions using 3/4" mdf. To save space I used two 6" aeroports side by side, instead of a slot, which are firing towards the rear. They are full aeroports and uncut with flares on both ends.

With those specs, Im not really sure my exact tuning or internal space. I have no bracing inside but double baffled the top coz of the subs weight.

IonRL205
08-27-2012, 01:43 AM
So where did you get the box done at? Seems kinda farfetched that you have a box yet you don't even know the specs of it. How long are the ports?

95Prober
08-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Oh, I had someone make it up. I think Im 7.74 before displacement and port space. Aeroports are full lenth from out of the packaging with flares on both ends. Forgive me as I forgot to measure them before installing. Would anyone know the tuning Im at? I think I was told about low-mid 30's. Im not going for SPL, and prefer as deep of bass as popular, not only loud Thanks

Mitch86
08-27-2012, 02:22 AM
I was told subs up and ports facing the rear would be ideal.
I cant put the subs at the rear facing up coz they dont clear the aeroports
With the subs up front then they clear the ports and I think it makes more sense since the airflow starts
to exit near the subs inside the box

Would the way I have it be the most efficient considering limited space?

Actually, in most cases you want the subs as far away from the port opening as possible. The only way you're really going to be able to squeeze any more space out of that space is with a wedge shape that follows the angle of the hatch. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of space to gain even if you did that. Also it may "sufficate" the airflow from the rear thus hurting performance. You could always wall it. :D

95Prober
08-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Yeah i read subs should be away from the port opening
Thing is the subs are too deep if i place them elsewhere coz they dont clear the ports inside the box.

Would leaving the subs where they are and having the port turned sideways be better?
both firing to one side or having one fire out one side and the other fire out the other side??
could be a dumb idea. Just asking

Mitch86
08-27-2012, 04:48 AM
Yeah i read subs should be away from the port opening
Thing is the subs are too deep if i place them elsewhere coz they dont clear the ports inside the box.

Would leaving the subs where they are and having the port turned sideways be better?
both firing to one side or having one fire out one side and the other fire out the other side??
could be a dumb idea. Just asking

In some cases firing the port to the side can be louder...but that isn't going to make up for the lack of airspace. Really your only option is to go with smaller subs or roll with what you have. More power may help a bit...but probably not worth the investment. A proper enclosure is the best bet but that seems almost impossible in your situation.

95Prober
08-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Thx for advice

Well i have plenty of amp power thats no problem
thing is when i turned up the volume fairly high they pounded
pretty good but then at a certain volume the subs werent going any deeper. I dont know the proper
term for that. Is that because of the subs or coz the box is not big enough or something else?