PDA

View Full Version : To Port or Seal?

Hjbennett
08-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Sub: 1 Kicker L3 12"
Amp: 1 Kicker ZX300.1

The car has an option for 8" sub in the rear deck. Mine did not have a sub, but has the hole cut in the deck and has a plastic disc covering the hole. So questions:

- Ported or Sealed enclosure?
- Sub firing toward trunk or back seat?
- Remove plastic disc from rear deck to allow sound in cab or leave covered. Or even add an 8" sub into the rear deck?

I got the new amp, sub, and custom enclosure in a trade. I just want to know what would be best for this situation so I can help with the install and not look totally ignorant when he's talking to me.

frogcase2002
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
i would just build a nice ported box for it in your tunk

SourDeez
08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
If you could strengthen the rear deck up a little bit with deadner and shtuff, a bad *** 8 would sound way better and just as loud as a ported 12 in the trunk.

Hjbennett
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
That much sound from basically an open air 8"? Would be using the trunk as the "enclosure", but dunno how that would sound. have to add metal braces to the deck to stiffen it up?

SourDeez
08-17-2012, 02:30 PM
That much sound from basically an open air 8"? Would be using the trunk as the "enclosure", but dunno how that would sound. have to add metal braces to the deck to stiffen it up?

I would probably try to enclose it.

And maybe, maybe not.

Hjbennett
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
I would probably try to enclose it.

And maybe, maybe not.

Possible to make round column type enclosure from floor of trunk up to rear deck? Like a bazooka standing on it's end?

SourDeez
08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Possible to make round column type enclosure from floor of trunk up to rear deck? Like a bazooka standing on it's end?

Yeah.. anythings possible.