PDA

View Full Version : help with port in sketchup

RangerDangerV2
08-17-2012, 01:23 AM
how do I figure out how to draw the 45 that I need in my port being that it is a sep chamber wall?? (port splits off into two parts) I need how to figure out how to draw the 45 in the port and the 45s in the port walls so that I dont change the width of the port... anyone know what im talking about?
well heres a pic.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/bumpin101/05frontysbox-3.png
thats the 45 im talking about. I did it once but I dont remember how I did it... *facepalm*

T.I.K.
08-17-2012, 01:32 AM
You're trying to keep the port a consistent width right where the two ports meet?

RangerDangerV2
08-17-2012, 01:40 AM
You're trying to keep the port a consistent width right where the two ports meet?

yes sir.

T.I.K.
08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't really use sketch up, mostly because it's one of the most difficult 3D modeling programs I've ever worked with. I can't tell you what commands to use, but I can tell you how to get your dimensions correct.

First, you need to know how far it is from the inside wall of your bends to the back wall of the box (at a 45degree angle). SO basically measure from the center of the back wall to the first corner of the port. this measurement will inevitably be larger than your port width. So what you do is you take that measurement and subtract the port width from it, and that is a number you will be using soon.

The way i always drew my 45s was i would make a 45-45-90 right triangle. I would then draw an altitude from the 90 degree angle to the hypotenuse. This line is important, because once it's dimensioned properly, it will dictate how large the 45 is. This line is also the thing you needed that important number from before for.

as im re reading this, i realized it's a complicated process to explain... it's simple once you see it/understand it but trying to verbally explain it is tough (for me, anyways)

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Im too high for this **** right now.