PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a complete newbie noob noob from CA!

PANGES
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey everybody,

I've actually been sort of lurking around here for a while, and decided to finally sign up. I've never really been into car audio, but the past couple years, I've been hanging out a bit on head-fi.org, and getting into headphones and such and have found myself caring more about sound quality. I drive a 2011 Honda Civic SI, and recently added a double din in-dash in the car (JVC KW-NT800HDT), and have noticed that my stock sound system sounds like poop ever since. I've tried EQing it and such, but just couldn't get everything sounding right again, so I've been thinking about replacing the speakers, stock amp, and stock sub with something better.

I started call around to some audio shops in my area to get an idea of what kind of amp, speakers, and sub I should be getting, and one of the more reputable shops in the area suggested this setup, so I was curious as to what you guys thought about them.

Focal PS165 compenets, Focal IC165 6.5" coaxials, JL Audio XD500/3 amp, and various misc. stuff to go with it. He didn't quote me for a sub, since I actually have one laying around that was a gift, but I recently noticed there was a small crack in the cone. I must've blown it when I used it in my last car when I was goofing around with it. =/

After parts and labor and everything, the total came out to a bit under $2,000, which I believe includes some dampening of the doors, since I noticed about $80 worth of VMAX aluminum dampening sheets. I'm sure everything can be had cheaper, but I've visited that shop before, and really liked their service quite a bit.

Anyways, thanks for looking, and let me know what you think!