PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter recommendations to pair with Hybrid Clarus Mids

hari-bhari
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Recently went active on my Hybrid Clarus set, sourced from a CarPC with EQ, time alignment, phase, and crossover adjustments, powered with a DSC4125 (125 RMSx4) soon to be swapped for a JL or Cadence 5 channel.

No matter what I do, the Clarus tweeters are too harsh for my taste with the type of music (electro,house) and volumes (LOUD) that I listen. They are extremely detailed but particularly sibilant for my taste.

Looking to swap into something a little more laid back, something that will be smooth and warm at higher volumes. Read a lot about Seas Neos, but there are 100 different models, so not sure which to look at. Recs are appreciated, budget is $100

Below20hzonly
08-15-2012, 09:17 PM
your goin to have to get a bigger budget if you want something that will sound good with those clarus mids, jus sayin

Alrojoca
08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah! $100 is not going to buy much.

Maybe some JBL PT26 tweeters, but if you raise your budget just a bit get the DLS Scandinavia 1, just kidding those are $300.00 maybe these, the DLS Performance T20.

OmegaBunny
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Go witht he SEAS Neo's. These are the ones that I have paired with my L6's and they keep up great!

Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/hard-dome-tweeter/seas-prestige-27tafnc/g-h1397-1-aluminum-dome-tweeter/)

mylows10
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
i have a set of cdt es 010 tweets for 120 shipped ,they'll keep up very nicely

keep_hope_alive
08-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Tweeter harshness is usually due to installation. Where/how are they mounted/aimed? Pics?

If you are running active, it could be in your crossover settings. Reverse polarity on them.

mylows10
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
i might consider trading ,i need some for my door sails

Why So Cereal?
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Tweeter harshness is usually due to installation. Where/how are they mounted/aimed? Pics?

If you are running active, it could be in your crossover settings. Reverse polarity on them.

This

keep_hope_alive
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
i've played with the Clarus tweeter. it can sound just fine in the right environment.

hell, that's why i have my ring radiators in spheres. in standard angle mount i didn't like them. in spheres they are everything you want a tweeter to be.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 12:16 AM
This

they are mounted in the door, but aimed off axis about 20-30 degrees. obviously this is less than ideal but ive tried various positions temporarily (higher in the sails, lower on the door) but never got quite happy with them. also tried reverse polarity on one of them and it ended up sounding worse. crossover is at 5800hz with a 2nd order butterworth (to mimic the included crossover). before the hybrids i ran dls ms6a components in the same stock location and they never felt harsh. this is one of those taste/personal preference things. the claruses sound amazing with rock, classical, instrumental, and even rap. but with what i'm listening to which is mostly electro, house, and dubstep which tends to be very rapid and very bright, they are a bit blaring for me.

when we talk about tweets 'keeping up' with the mids, are we talking volume or something else?

mylows10
08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
you should look at the cdt es 010 tweets ,if you like what you see ,my offer of trading still stands

keep_hope_alive
08-16-2012, 12:23 AM
you can certainly turn the level down on them - the don't need near as much power. you could be overdriving them.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 12:26 AM
you can certainly turn the level down on them - the don't need near as much power. you could be overdriving them.

ive actually turned the gain down to -6 on the tweets on my carpc. i think they are harsh for me at certain frequencies, and i've tried to EQ them out by dropping 10-12k by about 3db further, but still overall not pleasing for my ears.

Why So Cereal?
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
they are mounted in the door, but aimed off axis about 20-30 degrees. obviously this is less than ideal but ive tried various positions temporarily (higher in the sails, lower on the door) but never got quite happy with them. also tried reverse polarity on one of them and it ended up sounding worse. crossover is at 5800hz with a 2nd order butterworth (to mimic the included crossover). before the hybrids i ran dls ms6a components in the same stock location and they never felt harsh. this is one of those taste/personal preference things. the claruses sound amazing with rock, classical, instrumental, and even rap. but with what i'm listening to which is mostly electro, house, and dubstep which tends to be very rapid and very bright, they are a bit blaring for me.

when we talk about tweets 'keeping up' with the mids, are we talking volume or something else?

If you've tried aiming and placement, Have u tried playing with the EQ?

I was just thinking that if you're running active, you could turn the gain down on the tweets. Maybe they're getting too much power? maybe some better level matching is in order?

EDIT: Just now saw you and KHA's posts.... sorry pretty much repeated what was said/asked

At any rate, if you've exhausted all install options and have heard other sets sound better in the install, maybe you just don't care for the tweets, and in your case, for budget tweets, I'd go with LPG since those Hybrid mids can play high enough to meet them.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 12:40 AM
If you've tried aiming and placement, Have u tried playing with the EQ?

I was just thinking that if you're running active, you could turn the gain down on the tweets. Maybe they're getting too much power? maybe some better level matching is in order?

EDIT: Just now saw you and KHA's posts.... sorry pretty much repeated what was said/asked

At any rate, if you've exhausted all install options and have heard other sets sound better in the install, maybe you just don't care for the tweets, and in your case, for budget tweets, I'd go with LPG since those Hybrid mids can play high enough to meet them.

any benefit to letting my mids play higher up? i was thinking if the new tweets play lower, i can go ahead and change my crossover to the 3-4k range and raise up my soundstage some.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 12:53 AM
been reading a lot and hearing good things about

Vifa XT25
Seas Neo
Peerless HDS

zako
08-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Why no mentions of the Alpine Type-X tweeter? Supposedly it's one of the best for the money. It's a popular tweeter in active setups, so its frequently traded. Having said that, the Seas Neo Aluminum should fit the bill for everyone except those looking for super high fidelity output. It's a crisp but smooth tweeter that will allow to be high passed at relatively low frequency, if necessary. A pair costs under $100.

zako
08-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Recently went active on my Hybrid Clarus set, sourced from a CarPC with EQ, time alignment, phase, and crossover adjustments, powered with a DSC4125 (125 RMSx4) soon to be swapped for a JL or Cadence 5 channel.

By the way, what high pass frequency do you use on the tweeter? The stock crossovers use somewhere in the 5000-6000Hz range. Make sure you stay there.

dragnix
08-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Why no mentions of the Alpine Type-X tweeter? Supposedly it's one of the best for the money. It's a popular tweeter in active setups, so its frequently traded. Having said that, the Seas Neo Aluminum should fit the bill for everyone except those looking for super high fidelity output. It's a crisp but smooth tweeter that will allow to be high passed at relatively tweetslow frequency, if necessary. A pair costs under $100.
I do believe the type x tweets are the xt25 from vifa

Jroo
08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I believe this is going to be as close to the type x tweeter as you will find.
Madisound Speaker Store (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/vifa-xt25sc90-04-ring-radiator-tweeter/)
Ive never truly understood all the differences in the versions, but I think several used this one and said it was basically like what came in the type x seperates. I love my type x tweeters, but Im not sure how much you will gain or loss by going with them. I thought the Hybrid tweets were supposed to be very laid back. Maybe try getting them much more on axis with a tweeter cup or something?

keep_hope_alive
08-16-2012, 10:16 AM
you can run the Clarus mids up to 10k, but if they aren't pointed at you you won't hear it.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
By the way, what high pass frequency do you use on the tweeter? The stock crossovers use somewhere in the 5000-6000Hz range. Make sure you stay there.

crossing at 5800hz at 12db right now.

i dont know if the clarus mids play up to 10k... i spoke directly with bob morrow at hybrid and he said their upper limit was around 6k. i'll look into the seas neo and vifa xt25... although i have no idea how im going to mount a ring type tweet in my door.

Why So Cereal?
08-16-2012, 03:13 PM
any benefit to letting my mids play higher up? i was thinking if the new tweets play lower, i can go ahead and change my crossover to the 3-4k range and raise up my soundstage some.

The main benefit to having your mids play higher is that you'd try not to have a shift between drivers in some of most sensitive frequencies or in the vocal range. But, thats virtually impossible when using a 6.5 b/c without it being aimed at you, beaming will really ruin your FR at those frequencies until your tweeter picks up.

If you're looking to cross lower, I'd definitely say go with the Seas Neos. The LPGs are very nice tweeters but in my experience don't like to go below 4khz AT ALL. Crossing lower can help raise the stage in some cases. Its really a matter of preference and how your car is setup.

I'd say for ease of use or experimentation purposes, go with the Seas Neo tweeters. They are some of the best reviewed tweets for the money and they have the ability to be crossed pretty low. Coupled with the fact that your HAT mids can play out to 5 or 6khz, you have a lot a room to play around with diff. xover points and see which one gives u the best mix of proper tonality and stage height.

hari-bhari
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
The main benefit to having your mids play higher is that you'd try not to have a shift between drivers in some of most sensitive frequencies or in the vocal range. But, thats virtually impossible when using a 6.5 b/c without it being aimed at you, beaming will really ruin your FR at those frequencies until your tweeter picks up.

If you're looking to cross lower, I'd definitely say go with the Seas Neos. The LPGs are very nice tweeters but in my experience don't like to go below 4khz AT ALL. Crossing lower can help raise the stage in some cases. Its really a matter of preference and how your car is setup.

I'd say for ease of use or experimentation purposes, go with the Seas Neo tweeters. They are some of the best reviewed tweets for the money and they have the ability to be crossed pretty low. Coupled with the fact that your HAT mids can play out to 5 or 6khz, you have a lot a room to play around with diff. xover points and see which one gives u the best mix of proper tonality and stage height.

i believe i'm sold, sir. ill give it a shot. worse case i revert back to my hybrid tweets and sell/return these. thanks!