PDA

View Full Version : Various Box Questions

T.I.K.
08-15-2012, 01:02 AM
So, I'm planning a build (I love planning more than actually doing). It's two OA15's on a TBD ~2k amp. My intention is to give each sub 3.5cuft and tune the box to 32hz. I have a few questions about the box and the port, and I'm also looking for some advice to creatively package the build.

With regard to the port, I want to use aero ports, simply because they're easier to install, however, I'm having issues with the port length. It seems that no matter what, it's impossible to use aero's without having the inlet be too close to an interior wall, or have the inlet and the tube itself conflict with the subs. I could solve this problem by bending the ports, however this is added geometry. I can calculate the arc length of the bend, but I'm really not sure if calculating the arc length of a 90 degree elbow is an accurate way to find the length of port added by the bend.

I am also operating under the (possibly erroneous) assumption that you don't want the ends of the ports close to the rear of either subwoofer. I believe I read something a while ago about the drivers unloading into the ports and bypassing the process of loading the airspace within the box, which is how I came to that.

I'm also trying to be clever about where I put my amps and my battery. I'm planning on a single batt with a sub amp & a mids/high amp. I'd ideally like to be able to unhook a single 0/1 guage wire and be able to take my box out. Another objective is to have the box take up as little space as possible. I move everything I own every three months, and I need a fair amount of space in my car.

SO i guess I'm really just looking for people who have personally had these probelms before and how they solved them.

fasfocus00
08-15-2012, 01:33 AM
get another vehicle. moving a 7+ cubic foot box is a PITA. you're wanting the dream system of being able to throw it in and remove it like an ice chest, that just isn't going to be realistic unless you're willing to spend a good amount of money to get to that point.

T.I.K.
08-15-2012, 01:45 AM
get another vehicle. moving a 7+ cubic foot box is a PITA. you're wanting the dream system of being able to throw it in and remove it like an ice chest, that just isn't going to be realistic unless you're willing to spend a good amount of money to get to that point.
I have a ford explorer, physical constraints aren't the issue. I'd like to keep it small and handy simply because I move every three months, and I need space to pack **** in my car...

The whole thing being able to be removed is more of a secondary feature. I'm really just looking for a way to keep it neat and organized.

Sonic.
08-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Bending the port would be fine, and use the arc length along the center line of the elbow.
Keep port entrance as far as possible from behind the driver, (unloading issues).
Use a high amperage dc disconnect for quick disconnect from your equipment (has to be both +ve and -ve wires).